Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So when Simba is running around playing and barking, especially when he seems to bark a lot his mouth seems to foam up. I'm thinking this is perfectly fine and normal, doesn't always happen just when he seems to run around and bark a lot. It appears as his saliva just foams up on the side of his mouth. From what small research online told me, its probably cause he is thirsty from running around and playing. And that made perfect sense to me cause he drinks a lot of water afterwards. My dad and godfather say that's not a good think take him to the vet, but he is perfectly healthy and fine. What do you guys think? (Sorry for the paragraph) lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as I suspected haha. Mmctaq, you just reminded me about the time a petco worker came running to me telling me my puppy had parvo and to rush him to the vet because he was drooling from being car sick LOL

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,479 Posts
I called my son's doctor when he was about 4 months old because he had slept for SIX HOURS without waking up and seemed groggy (two hours had been his max before--boy, he was a cranky baby). Naturally I guess they thought of meningitis or something and rushed us in to see the doctor.
Long story short--he was fine, and I was the crazy mom.

Your pup sounds OK to me. Does he maybe need a checkup soon so you can ask the doctor about this under the cover of a routine physical exam? LOL

I guess I'll give the normal advice--watch for:

1. Lack of appetite
2. Lack of energy
3. Vomiting or diarrhea
4. Change in behavior
5. Unexplainable loss or gain in weight
6. Limping or pain
7. Lumps, bumps, skin sores

That's all I can think of--I'm sure there's more.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Why do dogs foam at the mouth when running? - Sarah's Dogs - Q&A

I have found that dogs who have excessive foaming (with just the usual amount of exercise and it is not hot out) have an issue with their 'internal' thermometer..............either a thryoid issue and/or heart issue.

I met a male Doberman years ago that was here running around like a fool and not once did he 'foam up', he could go all day, never get tired and cooled down just fine..............he lived to almost 14. no thyroid or heart issues. i found it very interesting.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Flirt drools like crazy, gets foamy, etc. The more excited she is, the more it flies. This is DROOL not bird poop :)

When she does agility, spit flies. This is what her toy looks like after training

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Niz starts foaming after he's been super excited and plays. Or in agility class. Scared the crap out of me when he had been training, then got bored when we were listening to the trainer and started blowing bubbles with his foam whining. I thought he was bloating or something and was ready to go to the e-vet because he was foaming, drooling... Then I realized the bag of sweet potato was right in front of him. :rolleyesww:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My pups very healthy besides the fact that he sprained his leg. :/ Darn pups.. Thanks everyone as I suspected it's normal. I'll ask my vet just in case next time.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
wait till he picks up a toad frog then you will see some serious foam action
If you're lucky, all that will happen is that you'll see foam after a dog picks up a toad. If you're not lucky, you get to dig a hole in the back yard to bury your dog. Frogs (North American frogs) are not poisonous.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
When Bacchus did the wae and we got to the attack part all I could see was Bacchus' anus pooching out with every bark and strings of spit flying through the air. When he plays with Chootcher's Haley he covers her in spit! I think she likes it.......:)

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
It's a good job you don't live here in Spain, they are absolutely paranoid about Rabies and over-react whenever they see a dog with the slightest bit of spittle on its lips never mind foam.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
If you're lucky, all that will happen is that you'll see foam after a dog picks up a toad. If you're not lucky, you get to dig a hole in the back yard to bury your dog. Frogs (North American frogs) are not poisonous.
The toads here are poisonous, they are also ugly as sin and huuuuuuuuuge. They burrow under the tree roots and kill off the trees. So usually when we see them they are splatted with the shovel, nasty but very effective.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The toads here are poisonous, they are also ugly as sin and huuuuuuuuuge. They burrow under the tree roots and kill off the trees. So usually when we see them they are splatted with the shovel, nasty but very effective.
Eeeewwwww!

We have nice friendly frogs and toads here. I used to love seeing the little tiny new toads. Either they were always tiny or the were new out of the water baby toads. When I was a kid I thought they were grown and always tiny. Now I wonder if they just weren't babies. Haven't seen any in years and years and years. They would be about the size of a dime or penny and just darling cute teenie things.

I can't imagine having to deal with big, ugly, poisonous toads..ugh.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I have found that dogs who have excessive foaming (with just the usual amount of exercise and it is not hot out) have an issue with their 'internal' thermometer..............either a thryoid issue and/or heart issue.

I met a male Doberman years ago that was here running around like a fool and not once did he 'foam up', he could go all day, never get tired and cooled down just fine..............he lived to almost 14. no thyroid or heart issues. i found it very interesting.[/QUOTE]

How strange. Eli has always had some foam and lots of slobber and he was just diagnosed with low thyroid. Just saying...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I met a male Doberman years ago that was here running around like a fool and not once did he 'foam up', he could go all day, never get tired and cooled down just fine..............he lived to almost 14. no thyroid or heart issues. i found it very interesting.
How strange. Eli has always had some foam and lots of slobber and he was just diagnosed with low thyroid. Just saying...
[/QUOTE]

That's crazy... Coincidence?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I think Amy's mouth foamed more in the summer months, playing ball with the neighbor kid

Also, years ago she backed up the meter-maid on the house next door, the grandmom thought Amy may later attack her kids playing.
I laughed and explained, Amy was protecting the 2 young boys, she has known since they were babies.
After that, she had respect and no worries with our dobe. Amy has always been alert for the properties on each side of us.

With Amy, foaming occured with exciting play and guarding family and loved ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts