Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any other Doberman owners participating in Flyball?

My dog is 20 months old and got his first points and his introductory
title last weekend. He ran clean runs about 70% of his 36 heats.

He was running over 7 and 11 inch jumps and his top speed was about 5.2
seconds. And that was releasing him from about 15 feet, so he didn't
really get to build up his speed.

We won't race for another few months, but I think we can break 5 seconds by the end of the year. And he is a very good passer - he just has a tendency to try and jump OVER another dog if I push the pass too tight. That happens when your dog is twice as tall at the shoulder than the rest of the dogs on the team.

I already ran flyball with my terrier, so my Doberman has been around it since he was a puppy. I started training him in earnest in September 06, and it took right about 6 months to get the entire pattern and integrate good ball technique.

Anyway, please post if you participate in flyball, would like to hear other experiences.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I don't participate in flyball but I love it when I catch it on tv :) It seems like a lot of fun for the dogs & the people.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Congrats on the FD title!! Rah is currently training with the head of this team - http://www.flyball.com/gbf/

He's still very much a beginner, and he is still very silly, but he ADORES it!

Congrats again!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Do you have a video of him or another dog doing flyball? I have never seen the whole process of the sport but looks like they sure do fly!!! love the picture!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
My Bouvier CJ figured it out very quickly he loved it but the training class only had it set up that one night.The dogs really get into it and love all the excitment of it. Too bad they do not do it more often bet Buddy would like it also maybe when we go back to classes in April I will ask about it.
Papbouv
Need something to do where I do not have to run like with Agility not suppose to run when yu have Total Joints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you have a video of him or another dog doing flyball? I have never seen the whole process of the sport but looks like they sure do fly!!! love the picture!

At 22 months old he's 28" at the whithers and still only 75 lbs - keeping him agile with good acceleration.

We've changed teams, so I'm not eligible to race until August. This give me more time to work on the box turn - the most difficult part for a dog as long as the Doberman.

Here is a video of me training with my smooth fox terrier, someon's JRT, and one of my Doberman's very first training sessions last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwI--6v4EM0

Here is another one of my new team having some fun at a tournament before I joined. I will post a video with my Doberman racing by the end of August.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2jbnlQ4-Ck

-Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I don't do flyball, but always thought my aussie would just rock at it! I just wanted to say congrats! And that picture is awesome!

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
great video - the dogs & people always look like they are having so much fun! Can't wait to see your dobe in action :)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
awesome shots! Rah loves it, and our class is over - this is just the reminder i need to give the head of the team a call and see where we go from here! Rah adored flyball - he does have a problem with the turn, but he still averages just at 5 seconds for his runs! If we could only get that turn down... part of Rah's problem is that at 32 inches, he is simply so long that when we try to teach the turn, he literally can WALK over the box. Any advice? What you did in the video with your boy we've tried with rah and he can literally just run OVER the box!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome shots! Rah loves it, and our class is over - this is just the reminder i need to give the head of the team a call and see where we go from here! Rah adored flyball - he does have a problem with the turn, but he still averages just at 5 seconds for his runs! If we could only get that turn down... part of Rah's problem is that at 32 inches, he is simply so long that when we try to teach the turn, he literally can WALK over the box. Any advice? What you did in the video with your boy we've tried with rah and he can literally just run OVER the box!

It too a long time to get him to understand - he ran his first tournament using a 3 foot (as in paw) turn - we're using this time to build a 4-foot turn so that all feet actually hit the box as he turns - also known as a swimmer's turn. The key is getting him to curl his body in a U-shape. I'll send you a PM on what has worked so far for us as soon as I have time. Write me in case I forget!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I just love the pic of your dobie competing in flyball. That is just fantastic. The only thing that my two compete in is to get mine and my husband's attention. :)

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I totally missed this thread!

Flyball sounds like a blast. I'd like to see it done in person someday.

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
I think Drago would love flyball.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Having just started agility with Tia i know how much fun this kind of sport can be,never seen a Dobe do flyball before so i am looking forward to your video.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
That is a nice picture of him!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Don't know how I missed this either. Way to go! Am looking forward to more pictures, videos and flyball news!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts