Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit down on my puppy this past week, and should be picking him up the first week of June! I live in the Daytona Beach, FL area and would appreciate any vet recommendations for Doberman crops (I'm planning on doing a medium crop). I have heard great things about Dr. Leigh McBride in Wildwood, FL and do not mind making the drive, but are there any other vets that are closer to Daytona that are reputable? Please share any photos you have of Dr. McBride's crops or any other vet's crops.

Thank you,
Tony

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
your breeder isn't handling this for you? most reputable breeders should take care of this...

Reactions: Tony23

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
According to one member who is a breeder, Dr. McBride is the only vet in Florida she will take a puppy to for a crop. And yes, a good breeder would normally be the one handling the crop and immediate aftercare, instead of leaving a new owner to struggle through on their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The breeder I am buying the dog from offers to crop, but I do not really like the style of his dogs or the vet he uses. They're both in Georgia too, and that's why I asked if I could have the crop done at the vet of my choice, being that I've heard Dr. McBride is extremely skilled and offers great support and assistance.

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look into other breeders, but my eye is already set on the little guy I picked out when I went up to visit a couple weeks ago. I'll also reconsider having the breeder do the crop and just go to the vet with them with plenty of pictures of what I want and do not want. That way the pup will be all healed by the time I pick him up.

·
Super Moderator
21,257 Posts
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd seriously reconsider the breeder. Any breeder that doesn't handle the crop for you is not a reputable breeder. You might think that you only want a pet, and so it doesn't matter, but it does. Reputable breeders will be breeding healthy dogs (and this breed is very unhealthy, so you really want to stack the deck in your favor by going with a breeder that not only fully health tests their dogs (echo, holter, thyroid, hips, and more), but also has studied generations of the pedigree to produce the healthiest dogs they can). Just as problematic is temperament. I know many, many dogs produced by this type of breeder who have serious temperament issues (my own dog included). Shyness, anxiety, aggression...all very difficult to live with.

I know you are in love with this pup, but any puppy is easy to fall in love with. Why not go with a breeder who is doing everything right, who will get you the right puppy with good health and a great temperament, and who will also be a great support system for you?

I have a dog from this type of breeder, and as much as I love her if I could go back in time I would make a different decision. The difference in raising her versus my puppy from a great breeder is just incredible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd seriously reconsider the breeder. Any breeder that doesn't handle the crop for you is not a reputable breeder. You might think that you only want a pet, and so it doesn't matter, but it does. Reputable breeders will be breeding healthy dogs (and this breed is very unhealthy, so you really want to stack the deck in your favor by going with a breeder that not only fully health tests their dogs (echo, holter, thyroid, hips, and more), but also has studied generations of the pedigree to produce the healthiest dogs they can). Just as problematic is temperament. I know many, many dogs produced by this type of breeder who have serious temperament issues (my own dog included). Shyness, anxiety, aggression...all very difficult to live with.

I know you are in love with this pup, but any puppy is easy to fall in love with. Why not go with a breeder who is doing everything right, who will get you the right puppy with good health and a great temperament, and who will also be a great support system for you?

I have a dog from this type of breeder, and as much as I love her if I could go back in time I would make a different decision. The difference in raising her versus my puppy from a great breeder is just incredible.
Thank you for being honest. I will definitely look into other breeders. I sided with this one, because the sire and dam are clear of vWD checked for hips/thyroid, and the past four generations that I saw have no Cause of Deaths related to cardio problems. The sire and dam both seemed to have great temperaments and also looked very healthy.

·
Super Moderator
21,257 Posts
Thank you for being honest. I will definitely look into other breeders. I sided with this one, because the sire and dam are clear of vWD checked for hips/thyroid, and the past four generations that I saw have no Cause of Deaths related to cardio problems. The sire and dam both seemed to have great temperaments and also looked very healthy.
There are some really good breeders in your area. You really don't want to go with someone who owns both parents. Usually, the best match for the female is NOT a dog the breeder owns.

Take a read through this: I don’t want a show dog; I just want a pet.Ruffly Speaking | Ruffly Speaking

In Florida, there are quite a few breeders I've seen recommended here. Remember, it may take a little bit of time to find the right breeder, and sometimes you have to wait on a waiting list for a little while. Sometimes if a breeder isn't planning a litter he or she can recommend someone else to you who is.

Off the top of my head, here are a few I've seen recommended here:

Acacia: Acaciadobes - Home
Brykris: Jo Ann James Fine Art
Carosel: Dobermans of Carosel
Hollywoods: About Us
Marquis: Marquis Dobes

I have no personal experience with these, so I would still be asking questions about health testing, etc., but I'm sure some others will chime in if you'd like to look at other breeders in Florida. You could start a thread in the breeding/breeders section asking for Florida breeder recommendations.

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
The bit I bolded seems rather unlikely. In four generations, that is 30 dogs. And some dogs that have died a sudden death have been reported as something other than cardio by people who don't even know that DCM exists. Some people also flat out lie about cause of death, and claim heat stroke, snake bite, or even hit by a car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bit I bolded seems rather unlikely. In four generations, that is 30 dogs. And some dogs that have died a sudden death have been reported as something other than cardio by people who don't even know that DCM exists. Some people also flat out lie about cause of death, and claim heat stroke, snake bite, or even hit by a car.
Sorry I'm new to this and my wording must not be right. I was trying to say that from starting at the puppy, all the way up to his great grandparents (totaling 15 dogs) none have been claimed to die from cardio problems. I didn't know that you could get away with claiming a false C.O.D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts