Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone feeding their dogs Flint River Ranch? If so, how are your dogs doing on this brand?

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
I tried their Lamb and Millet food years ago with my GSD. (They only had two formulas at the time.) I liked it so much that I became a distributor. It was one of a precious few foods touting "human grade" ingredients at the time and I liked the fact that it was baked vs extruded. My GSD loved it and did fine on it. His poops were better on this than on other commercial foods, but we went back to raw after just a couple of months. Looking at the ingredient list now it seems a bit grain heavy and allergen heavy. The protein is on the lower end of acceptable. It's still a fine food and if your dog is doing well on it, I wouldn't suggest you run out and change it. If you are shopping for a new food there are better brands on the market now.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
From personal experience my Toula did fine with it but my male Pete did not. I was only just starting to mix it in with their Kirklands and within days Pete got itchy spots and a bumpy scaly patch on his back which started clearing up as soon as I stopped adding it.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
I have friends who have fed it to their Dobes for year--over 10 years for sure. They also liked it so much they became distributors because it enabled them to be sure of getting it. I don't know which of the products they feed but the only problem they've every had was that it didn't seem to have enough fat during the winter months to keep the the dogs coats in tiptop condition.

They added fish oil to it and have never had another problem.

If it ain't broke you don't have to fix it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My boy is on Fromm, he is doing ok with Fromm. Just thinking of swithching. I have not given him a raw diet. Something to consider...

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Elka was on it for awhile. For the first, I want to say 3 bags, she was fine. Skin fine, poop fine, etc.

Then we got a new bag, and her poop was very much not fine. It for some reason never occurred to me to contact the company and be like "WTF, guys?". We just switched to something else.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My Dalmatian does excellent on it. She is obsessed and gobbles it up. Her coat is amazingly silky smooth and her skin problems went away. She's been on it over a year now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts