Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me what the fundamentals or basics are of flirt pole training? ive searched online and only find people trying to sell them. i saw a video on here once of someone using one with a hurdle, which is what i want to do. but i cant find it now. the reason im asking for ground rules is because i dont want to train in a way that might end up undermining future formal agility training. if that is even a concern???

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Here is me using my own flirt pole that my hubby made with Fenja when she was about 5 months old. Do this on something other than concrete. I just use it for fun drive building. Hubby calls it fishing for Dobermans. If they spit is out I can snatch it away to lure them back. I keep sessions VERY short. I always leave them wanting more.

Toy chase - YouTube

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
workingk9s, how exactly was your flirt pole made?

what kind of plastic pipe, what diameter, how long a pipe, what kind of rope, how long a rope.

is it knotted on the end so it does not pull through the pipe, etc. etc.

i am thinking of making them to sell as i know a lot of people in my town whose dogs could use some more exercise, and i like the idea of them for human - dog interactive back yard playtime.

we used to use a fishing rod years ago for lure training with the hounds, but fishing poles are too expensive for just a toy!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Mostly I use it for play. But I also use it and make her sit and wait; then for me to release her to go back to play, I tell her back in which she has to back up before she can come get it again. Its one of the best toys she has. Which ours just broke so I am about to get a new one. Made one out of pvc but may need a longer rope and shorter pole hmm...maybe even a smaller pvc.

·
Registered
609 Posts
OP, if your going to use the flirt pole as a training aid, you need to build it up as a game with control. Using a word to initiate the game, to make the dog release the object, and a word to end the game. I use lets work, Out, and Were Done.

I don't use the flirt pole nearly as much as I used too. I have moved from it to a training tug. Same principles apply. It is also a really good way to build drive for certain toys(you tie them to it and build up the frustration of not getting it)

This video isnt very good but you can see I am building drive(for a better bite) on the bite pillow.I had been usign the flirt pole prior to taping but when we started he really had little to no desire to give a good bite on this(at the time it was new and nearly as hard as a trial sleeve)

0IcCS_FwuM8&list=UUYn0RNAmFqaY4rRKzn_gdgg&index=13&feature=plcp

This is an old video but we are working on drive building but more so on barking on command. He would naturally bark under frustration for the toy so we started using that to teach him to bark on command.

ey__waF0iAQ&feature=related

I normally use a kong, but when starting out use a rag or towel, something that will stimulate them to chase. Make it look alive as if it were a small animal. As the dog gets more conditioned you wont have to do anything but try to keep it away from them. The reason I use a kong is simply because its harder to grab and the dog has to focus more on his targeting.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
workingk9s, how exactly was your flirt pole made?

what kind of plastic pipe, what diameter, how long a pipe, what kind of rope, how long a rope.

is it knotted on the end so it does not pull through the pipe, etc. etc.

i am thinking of making them to sell as i know a lot of people in my town whose dogs could use some more exercise, and i like the idea of them for human - dog interactive back yard playtime.

we used to use a fishing rod years ago for lure training with the hounds, but fishing poles are too expensive for just a toy!
Darkevs - this idea, might be right up your alley !!
When I get a new pup, I am going to make my FLIRT POLE...but not out of plastic pipe.

Could one use an old fibreglass or graphite fishing pole (6 or 7 ft.), strong and light plus overall length breaks down (aka recycle project) ??

Also, how much does a good flirt pole cost ??

·
Registered
609 Posts
I made mine. O used 3/4" pvc, with rounded end caps. I used 1/4" para cord for the line. I drilled a hole in one of the end caps, slipped the rope through and knotted the end, then place it on the pvc pole. Then I painted the pole black. I have used and abused it for a year and a half with no issue. The pole is 2 and half feet long, anything bigger is such a bother to deal with.

I think your technique with the pole is whats important, especially in the beginning. I get the same effect on the dog with a short one, as I do the bigger ones(I made one 6' pole and 5' line), it was worthless, I had greater reach but it took so much on my part to swing and move it around. I was way more efficient using the small one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the way i made mine was similar to above with a small difference. i used 3' of 3/4" PVC electical conduit. slid 5/16" cotton rope through and knotted it off on a stainless steel ring. this way i can pull the ring and shorten the line if i want.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Darkevs - this idea, might be right up your alley !!
When I get a new pup, I am going to make my FLIRT POLE...but not out of plastic pipe.

Could one use an old fibreglass or graphite fishing pole (6 or 7 ft.), strong and light plus overall length breaks down (aka recycle project) ??

You would be surprised the things you can make with PVC! I love that stuff! Big bonus for me. Its one of the main things the company my hubby's works for sells! :)

·
Super Moderator
21,867 Posts
I spent less than $10 on mine. I bought a lunge whip at a Farm/Fleet type store, and attached a stuffing free dog toy to the end. It's Shanoa's favorite thing in the entire universe.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thanks for all the great ideas and replys.
Like Tperkins said, I can see where a shorter pole is better than a long one.
Still woundering how much thin line does one hang off the end, what cord length works best ??
- I'm thinking maybe 5 or 6 ft.

Since my brother is a custom golf club maker, he's got a used graphite shaft with grip for me...strong and very light.
(I told him to save me one last night)
So my recycled flirt pole project, will be from free materials...thats the best part...He-He.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
can someone tell me what the fundamentals or basics are of flirt pole training? ive searched online and only find people trying to sell them. i saw a video on here once of someone using one with a hurdle, which is what i want to do. but i cant find it now. the reason im asking for ground rules is because i dont want to train in a way that might end up undermining future formal agility training. if that is even a concern???
I had posted a video that had my agility jumps still out IN the video. I hope that wasn't the one you are referring to. We do NOT use it for the jumps. I should have moved them

flirt chase good.AVI - YouTube

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good video. you have smooth technique. but no, thats not it. in this particular video, they were using the prey as a lure to either train the jump or reinforcing the jump

1 - 20 of 26 Posts