Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's here again flea and tick season.
What is the best way to protect our loved ones from these nasty bugs?
The flea collar for us was a joke. Allie had it off faster than I could put it on.
:help_up_2

·
Registered
323 Posts
I do not know if this will work for people who live by the woods or walk in the wild a lot because of the ticks but I have quit using anything on GKar at all. I use FleaBusters carpet treatment once a year and have not had a single flea on GKar in over a year and prior to that he had a severe flea dermatitus(sp?) problem. No chemicals on oe in the dog and no fleas.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use the stuff that is combined with the heartworm medicine. I do feel a bit uneasy about giving the dogs more chemicals, but fleas aren't good either.
Jen

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I use frontline on mine. It was worked pretty well so far. I would rather use something natural, but this works, and so far they have not had any problems with it. I also got some of that Home Defense by Ortho that Gracie's Mom was talking about. My problem here is frickin mosquito's, and I am their magnet!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
IME flea collars do not work. I use and love Frontline for ticks and fleas.
A little known tip about using it however is to not put it on within 3 days of bathing. Since it is distributed by the skin oils and bathing depletes some of the skin oils, it is more effective to wait 3 days after bathing to apply.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I use Sentinal....I think that is how you spell it. It doesn't do a thing for the ticks though...but I have been lucky, they haven't gotten tick on them since I moved to my new house.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
IME flea collars do not work. I use and love Frontline for ticks and fleas.
I've seen fleas run up and stand on a flea collar to get away from the spray when a dog was being sprayed with flea spray.

I rotate between Frontline Plus and Advantix. Both cover ticks and fleas, I think at least one of them also deters mosquitos.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I use Frontline here too, but not all year around.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Speaking of frontline and bathing, I have always wondered....

Does the same 3 day rule apply? If I put it on today, can I bathe them in 3 days?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I have gone with Advantage personally and have been very happy. However it doesn't do ticks, but I'm not really in a tick area, and as of yet haven't had a need for a tick medicine. (fingers crossed, I can handle pretty much anything including killing spiders for hubby ;), but ticks just creep me out)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has anyone tried the little ultrasonic deal that hangs on their collar? I've been looking at them and thinking of giving them a try but wondered if they work?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I use frontline. Not yearly either.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
The frontline says that it can work for up to 3 months I think, but my dogs get it every month, it is included in their health insurance plan. But even if it wasnt, I would still give it to them every month just because of where we live, fleas, ticks, and heartworms are all pretty bad here.

(Maybe it was 2 months??)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I am the same way BIB. Just because of where I live. They would be eaten alive. lol. I give them the fronline during the warmer months and stop when it cools down. That seems to work so far for me. My vet said I can go 1 1/2 months before needing to give again. I still do monthly.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am jealous of those of you who do not have to worry about ticks. They're quite a problem here along with the Lyme disease they bring with them. So because of that and living five minutes away from a pond(Mosquitoes galore!), I use Advantix on the dogs and am quite pleased with how it works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had to purchase Advantage for the first time last year, it worked great and I hear it is going to be a bad year again here in Southern Ontario. It had been about 8 years since we had to worry about any fleas, back than I added Brewers Yeast with Garlic to food. That seemed to work for us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts