Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My two year old red male has a tendancy to suck (like a little kid with his/her thumb). Any advise how to get him to stop? He only does it when we stop paying attention to him. It's kind of funny in a way...At this point there is no skin eratation, he sucks to the point where his lower flank is just dripping wet.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
742 Posts
there is some powder and gel that is REALLY bitter. Im not sure what the name is, but im sure a google search will find you some. You put it on there, and it will stop them from licking/chewing/sucking. I actually saw something like this on an episode of "Good Dog!" with Stanley Coren. That is what he suggested for a dog with hot spots. Should work just as well with your dog even though there are no hot spots.

You could also do what my grandparents did with their dog...use hot sauce. Hopefully your dog doesnt like it.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Bitter orange and bitter apple could be used as a deterrent but unless you want to constantly spray him, I suggest you work on redirecting this behavior to an appropriate one such as chewing on one of his own toys. I'll search through the old threads, I think we may have had a conversation about this before...
If I were you, every time I caught him sucking, I'd hand him a great toy, maybe a kong stuffed with treats or peanut butter and praise him like mad when he turns his attention to the toy rather than his flank.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Aww poor little guy. Deacon has a teddy bear that he sucks on like a baby. He sucks on the nose and paws it like a puppy trying to get milk.
I like Tracyjo's suggestions of giving him a treat or toy to redirect his attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flank sucking update: Ok I put the Bitter Orange and Apple and he licked it off and looked at me "Do you have anymore?" I am now trying treats they seem to be working although he keeps wanting more treats. Luckly he is not over weight as I think he has put on 2-3 pounds....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
We had a Husky when I was a kid that loved to eat remotes and carpet. Bitter apple/orange was like ketchup for her! Luckily, Chi hates the stuff.

Do you have a Kong? If not run out and buy one now, they are the best dog toys/training tools ever!!!! You can stuff some treats in the kong and it will keep him occupied for awhile trying to get them out. I can fit 3 small milkbones in the black kong I have for Chi. It will generally keep her occupied for an hour or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yes, I have multiple KONG toys. Those things are life saviors. I need to get a couple more and keep in the house. Thanks Again for all the info..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rudy does that, has since he was a puppy. I have tried everything to get him to stop but I can't. he is now almost six ....LOL

Bitter apple works for awhile then once it wears off he will do it again.

Rudy does it for the same reason as your guy does, he does it for attention. Ignoring can help, eventually he will get fed up, stop and come see you or whatever.

By the way, your guy looks like Rudy too :D ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts