Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skyler has had flaky skin lately. She always has it a little bit in the winter, but I thought that since it has been several weeks since our last cold spell that it would have improved by now. I was just wondering what anyone else who has this problem does for their dog's skin. She eats Canidae supplemented with other things such as cottage cheese, yogurt, hamburger meat, and sometimes a raw egg. I also cook for her some. I have been adding a little Safflower oil to her food, but it doesn't seem to help. Do you guys think I should try giving her a raw egg once a day? I used to feed her Chicken Soup dry dog food and she didn't have as many flakes, but she pooped too much on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You might try fish oil.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Fish body oil is great stuff. You might want to give Vitamin E with it also. I give the 1000mg Fish Body Oil, and 200mg Vitamin E. I also like Flaxseed Oil, but some dogs are allergic.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also feed Canidae mixed with hamburger or cottage cheese and have the same problem with flaky skin. I hope they haven't changed the formula for the Canidae.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BIB, is there a certain brand of fish body oil I should use? I would sure like to know, so I could try it. Lucagirl, I don't think that Canidae has changed their formula.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Just like BIB said, you want to use human grade fish oil.
Also be conscious of how you bathe your dog, some dogs flake when bathed too frequently and when their skin is rubbed the wrong way, the water isn’t the right temp, they aren’t fully rinsed, etc.
I bathe mine regularly without problems.
You can use this mixture in between the bath times: http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/dry_shampoo.html
I use Alpha Keri Oil for glycerin.

Reactions: lyngr

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. Thanks dobes for the link to. I will use human grade oil and vitamin E. We have a GNC close to my house that I am going to get my stuff at tomorrow. I don't bathe her very often. When I do I use an oatmeal based shampoo, and rinse very well, so I don't think that's the problem, but thanks so much.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Tamora had horrible flakey skin. Not any more. Home-cooking. Beef seems to work the best for her. No problems with veg. Rice does not work nor chicken. Some dairy may be iffy. I am still experimenting slowly. Fish oil 1000mg.--twice a day-vet approval. A few other supplements as well-vet approved also.
My daughter was feeding canidae (her 9 yr old dobie). He had flakes also. Dog specialty store said a lot of the dobie people were feeding Wellness Fish & Potato with good results. He has been on it for 4 weeks now and no more flakes. Tamora had diahhrea with it.
Maybe some of this info will help you.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
*whisper* I get an Omacor (omega-3) stash from a drug rep that comes to the office. My vet said if I can get it.....this is the best. It is FDA grade 1g per gel cap. It has Eicosapentaenoic acid-naturally found in salmon and docosahexaenoic acid-is a vegetarian product extracted by a patented process from algae. I usually poke a hole into it and squirt it onto his food. He eats around it if I just mix the gel cap into his food. The cats go crazy from the smell. I think they are starting to resent the "dog."

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
******* get's Saff. oil (1 tbsp ) and 1/2 tbsp of fish oil.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Since I still have a half full bottle os safflower oil, I think I will try that along with the fish oil first and see how it goes. I am also going to cook alot more for them. I have a book with veterinary approved recipe's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Riley has been on Canidae ALS for months. I also give her 1 fish oil cap a day (Omege 3 - the same stuff I take). She still has flaky skin.

I have some Groomax Allergen Reducing Shampoo I bought for her thinking it might help. All I can tell is that within a day or two of a bath, she gets welts all over... maybe hives? And I don't bath her that often.. maybe every 6 weeks or so unless there's some need to do it more often. I need to find a different shampoo that works for her.

I've also noticed her poop seems less formed much of the time, but not always. It may be time to switch food. Maybe that Wellness Fish & Potato that was mentioned... if I can find it locally. Who carries it? I have to go to a specialty store to get Canidae and it runs $40 for 40 lbs.

Right now Riley also has a staph skin infection that's being treated by Cephalexin and Prednisone. The Prednisone makes her thirsty and she pees .. a LOT. I also give her some Benadryl to help with the hives/itching. I just put the pills in with her Canidae and she eats everything. She's not picky at all. Same with the Omega-3 capsules. I think her pedigree has a lot of goat in it somewhere along the line. ;-)

Here are two images showing where we first noticed the Staph infection (before the bath/hives). Didn't know what it was and it just kept getting worse. The doc says she may be on anti-biotics for 6 weeks. (btw, I'm still posting her ears... but they were down when I took these pics).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
speedlever, what a pretty girl!

Cole had a terrible, reoccuring staph infection when he was younger. This was before we were showing so, it had to be before he was 14 months. It took months to finally clear it up. It would seem to clear up and then flare up again. But once it was gone, it has never come back.

I give Cole 1,100 mg of salmon oil twice a day. He has no flakes. He also eats kibble that has no grains. I basically have taken all grains out of his diet. I also supplement with 400 iu of vitamin E and 1000 mg of vitamin C (500am/500 pm). If you supplement with E, you should supplement with C too. Of course, I have forgotten why. . . :11doh:

·
Banned
675 Posts
Monte has no flakes. He eats a grain free food, Innova Evo, but when he first came and for a couple of months after that he was eating Pro Plan. He doesn't get any supplements, no vitamins, no fish oil, or any other kind of oil. I tried those things with my first Doberman, who had flakes as an adolescent, and none of them made any difference. Eventually the flakes stopped happening. Since then I've learned that adolescent Dobermans often "flake" when stressed, but usually it goes away as they mature. Monte was more of an exception tho, because I don't remember him ever being flakey, lol.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't think Skyler has a staff infection, because the flakes aren't bad. They just bother me, and she doesn't have any bumps or hairloss or anything like that. I'm sorry Riley has that. Poor girl. She is very pretty. Skyler looks like her in the face, but her ears are natural. I love the reds! Dobemom, what food do you feed? I have thought about maybe changing to Innova Evo, or something like that in the near future. I'm happy with the Canidae other than the dry skin, but am looking into changing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts