Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and talked couple times about this but I am going to get fish oil for phoenix. There are pills and liquid. Does anyone prefer one over other? Also with fish oil it is good to give vit E as well correct? Does this have to be for dogs or can I get it at the drug store that would also be for people? Thanks :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Currently we are using a spray for his fish oil. I have read on here from people who are more educated on this breed then we are, first time owners, and would like to know if we choose to give pills is there a correct number to give based on weight of dog. Our boy is 87lbs.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this forum. Everyday I receive an education on here!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am interested in this too as my blue has thin hair.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
From Linda

I give my boy fish oil twice a day. Dosage is 300 mgs DHA/EPA per 20 to 30 lbs bodyweight preferably split into two doses. You must give vit E with fish oil as it depletes the body of this vitamin. Dosage is 5 to 10 iu vit E per pound of bodyweight daily.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
We use Grizzly Salmon oil and I dose according to the bottle so not exactly sure how much each dog gets. They get 2-3 pumps a day depending on size.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Delta's raw fed, so I just make sure her diet includes some fish, usually either catfish or canned sardines. She never gave me any trouble about taking the fish oil pills, but I prefer including it in her diet to giving supplements. The fish oil pills that I previously had came from the vet's office, but they said that ones marketed for humans are fine to give as well (and are generally cheaper).

I am interested in this too as my blue has thin hair.
Have you checked out these threads about dilute coats? Fish oil may help, but don't be too surprised or upset if your blue never has as nice a coat as your red boy.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/food-feeding/65694-food-blue-coat.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/63747-dilute-colors.html

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
I give human grade fish oil and vit e. I give 1 fish oil 1200 eu everyday, but I know I could give more. I give a vit E every other day. I also give vit C - every day. I just throw the pills in their meal and they eat them :)

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Both my girls get 1200 mg of fish oil with each meal and 400 mg of Vit E with each meal - so that works out to 2400 mg of fish oil and 800 mg of Vit E per day per dog. My girls think those little softgel capsules are treats and they both sit and beg for it, so I have them do tricks for their supplements, then I give them their bowls. :)

I just buy the human supplements at Walgreen's or CVS. Both stores usually have sales on their supplements so you can buy one and get one 50% off or something. And I like the softgel capsules because they're convenient for me to buy since I'm usually in Walgreens or CVS once or twice a month anyway.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Wow,that is a lot of vitamin E, brw1982, unless you are using the water soluble kind, then they can pee out the excess. Regular vitamin E is fat soluble and stored in bodyfat. You have to consider they get vitamin E in their kibble too. I have read too much vitamin E is as harmful as not any. Of course, I dont know what they weigh, but you might run that dosage by your vet if you havent already. ///// I buy the Finest Natural 1200 mg fish oil at Walgreens when they are on sale, buy one, get one free. They alternate brands, so it is on sale every other week.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I give 1200 mg of fish oil and 400 iu of vit E once a day, I hand the pills to her and she just takes them :)

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
Wow,that is a lot of vitamin E, brw1982, unless you are using the water soluble kind, then they can pee out the excess. Regular vitamin E is fat soluble and stored in bodyfat. You have to consider they get vitamin E in their kibble too. I have read too much vitamin E is as harmful as not any. Of course, I dont know what they weigh, but you might run that dosage by your vet if you havent already. ///// I buy the Finest Natural 1200 mg fish oil at Walgreens when they are on sale, buy one, get one free. They alternate brands, so it is on sale every other week.
Yeah, that is why I give one every other day - I've read the same stuff about vit. E. Vit C is one that you can give a lot of.... but I just give one a day.

Reactions: Q734 and brw1982

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Linda. I'm going to email their vet right now and clarify. I thought she said it was okay for 400 mg of Vitamin E per 1200 mg of fish oil with each meal but I could be misremembering it. Better to double check and be safe!

Yeah, that is why I give one every other day - I've read the same stuff about vit. E. Vit C is one that you can give a lot of.... but I just give one a day.
I've read and been told the opposite about Vitamin C because dog's bodies produce about 80 mg per pound of their body weight. Vitamin C is also produced in the form of ascorbic acid in the dog, whereas supplements tend to be Vitamin C in the form of calcium ascorbate because that is the form humans require it to be in (also, we're one of only a handful of mammals that do not naturally produce our own Vitamin C which is why we need it supplemented by our diets or pills). The only dogs that would need Vitamin C supplemented are dogs with weakened immune systems for some reason, and supplementing it (especially in the form of calcium ascorbate) for an otherwise healthy dog can cause loose stools for low-level overdoses and high overdoses for extended periods of time can cause permanent damage to the urinary tract.

Reactions: Q734 and LindaH

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Ok since we're on fish oil does one not need to be concerned w/the balance when using krill oil?
I was going by Mercola's method of giving E in low doses and not everyday.

Brw thanks for the vit C info. I've also read somewhere for humans too much can cause kidney stones? Not sure.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You dont have to suppliment vit e as krill oil already contains it. That info is in Dr Beckers site somewhere. Also, dont get the krill oil with omega 6. Omega 6 promotes inflamation and they get enough in their diet. You only want to suppliment omega 3s.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
You dont have to suppliment vit e as krill oil already contains it. That info is in Dr Beckers site somewhere. Also, dont get the krill oil with omega 6. Omega 6 promotes inflamation and they get enough in their diet. You only want to suppliment omega 3s.
Ah I thought you'd told me that but couldn't remember if I was recalling it correctly.
That krill oil I found, the same you have the one that made *me* itch-8D doesn't have the omega 6 in it thankfully...or if it does it's not listed.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The bottle w/astaxanthin has omega 6. The other ond didnt.:)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Once again the Equine feed store had a solution for my dogs reagrding fish oil.

I wanted to give some to the horses as their coats were dry. They refused to eat it and I ended up using ground flax.

My dogs, however, love the fish oil. a 3.8 litre jug was about $20. Both Dobies and my GSD went crazy over it. Very stinky but worked nicely for dry coats.

Instead of fish oil, we now give salmon. Every night before bed the dogs know they get a special treat. We open a large tin of salmon, divide into 3 bowls, and watch & smile as they lick up every last morsel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I give human grade fish oil and vit e. I give 1 fish oil 1200 eu everyday, but I know I could give more. I give a vit E every other day. I also give vit C - every day. I just throw the pills in their meal and they eat them :)
What benefit does vit c have for dogs?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay nvm I think I found out about vit c.
I have fish oil 1,000mg and plan on giving one in am and vit e 400 just one in an as well. Sound good?

Thanks everyone so much!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts