Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, let me introduce myself, my name is matthew im 25 and live in melbourne australia.
for the last couple of years i have been dogless :( iv grown up owning large dogs a dobi x rotwieler a pure blue healer that was the size of a roti and two staffys. after much thinking iv come to the decision that id like a doberman as my new best friend.
iv researched the breed for the last month and today i went and saw a breeder here in melbourne, with Line breeding of the Top Winning Dobermann of All Time Multi Best In Show & Best In Specialty Show American Champion Brunswig's Cryptonite. his dogs are gorgeous and i think it has firmly cemented my decision.
my dilema is this, as i have never owned a doberman before im unsure of wether to get a male or female.
i prefer the look of the males to the females as they seem to be a bit more built and proud looking.
puppy training, socializing and obediance training will be a super must as obiously this dog is going to be BIG! and i guess im a little nervouse and wondering if you all have any advice on the female or male issue?
is one easier to train than the other? have any of you had issues with males being aggressive towards children or other dogs even after extensive training? other than size is there any outstanding differences?

kids decided one day to bail up my old dog while i wasnt home and throw rocks at him and forever after that he went bezerk around kids so i could no longer walk him in parks or around people (i feel this wasnt his fault but still a shame) i just never want to be worried about this again.

my partner and i are both artists and work mainly in our studio so the dog will be able to hang out with us 90% of the time wich i look forward to and will give me more time to train him/her.

i thank you all for reading and apologise in advance for the long post (and horrible grammar).
i look forward to any replies.
cheers
Matthew :thanx:

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
There isn't much of a difference between males and females in this breed.

One think to keep in mind is that this breed is knwn for same sex aggression, particularly with males. If you're going to be out a lot with friends or family who have dogs, especially if they're mostly male dogs, I'd get a female.

Also, welcome to DT :]

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!!

i think those who are not familiar with being owned by a Doberman, should probably start with a female.
Many find it 'difficult' to raise a young male through the puperty stage, they can be a handfull.....................which is why so many young Male Doberman end up in shelters and rescue situations.

Good luck with your research and search for just the right pup or dog.

if you get a chance maybe check and see if there are any rescued doberman in your area looking for a forever home.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Zeus is my third male so I can't comment on females. Personally I find males to be more affectionate and goofy (compared to the few female dobes I have met) which is exactly what I love about this breed.

All three of my males have been amazing with children, and Zeus is particularly fond of them.

My next dobe (when the time comes) will definitely be another male.:)

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Hi & welcome to DT from England.

i think those who are not familiar with being owned by a Doberman, should probably start with a female.
Many find it 'difficult' to raise a young male through the puperty stage, they can be a handfull.....................which is why so many young Male Doberman end up in shelters and rescue situations
if you get a chance maybe check and see if there are any rescued doberman in your area looking for a forever home.
I agree with this. We've had 4 rescue dobes, 3 male & 1 female. Our current boy is 16 months old & is definitely a "handful"(he knocked over his last owner & broke their leg)...... which is why he ended up back in rescue. Perhaps an adult rescue would be the way to go for a first time dobe owner.

Whatever way you decide to go, male or female, pup or rescue, your dobe will bring much joy & love to your life. Dobes are the best.:D

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Don't know how I missed this thread the first time....*waves* from down south in Lonnie! I'm really a Melbourne girl though.
I've had 3 males...yes they are handfuls (and a half), but all have been mummies boys once I get them through the teenage years. This time I will be getting a female, thanks to failing to let go of the foster Heeler x JRT I've just taken on (he's male).
Which breeder have you chosen? I've spent the past year and a bit researching breeders and bloodlines available in Victoria (and NSW, SA, and WA).
Welcome! :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Welcome :) my first dobe was a male but I got him when he was 3. I think as Long as you have had dog experience which you do I don't think you will have to difficult of a time. Just be confident and a leader with a positive attitude. Doberman can sense you being unsure and they will give you a more of a hard timet. My male has been very well socialized and is only non tolerant to other dogs that try to dominate him. As Long as other dogs can keep the peace he is fine. Enroll into some classes and that pup of yours will be well on his way :)

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I was just typing out a huge long reply and somehow lost it to the internet ether :(
will send a pm instead.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
LOL Nightgrace...I wasn't quite so....um......abrupt :lol: ...but essentially yes. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts