Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum and owner to a new 10 week old brown and tan don't puppy. Just wanted to know what is normal behaviour for a puppy of this age. He's very inquisitive when he's awake but seems to sleep quite a bit (more than I thought. I also took him out the other day to a friends to get him to interact with his dog but my pup didn't seem interested and just turned away when my friends dog tried to interact. He is very affectionate towards humans but seems disinterested with other dogs. Granted we've only had him two days and he probably needs to get used to his new surroundings and new things seeing as he's only been used to his own litter.

Was just wondering if this behaviour is normal. If you need any more information ask away. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Hi I'm new to the forum and owner to a new 10 week old brown and tan don't puppy. Just wanted to know what is normal behaviour for a puppy of this age. He's very inquisitive when he's awake but seems to sleep quite a bit (more than I thought. I also took him out the other day to a friends to get him to interact with his dog but my pup didn't seem interested and just turned away when my friends dog tried to interact. He is very affectionate towards humans but seems disinterested with other dogs. Granted we've only had him two days and he probably needs to get used to his new surroundings and new things seeing as he's only been used to his own litter.

Was just wondering if this behaviour is normal. If you need any more information ask away. Thanks for any input.
Sounds pretty normal to me considering he's only 10 weeks only and only 2 days in an entirely new environment.

I'd withhold judgement about his actions until you've had him for a month--I think you'll see big changes in his behavior--particularly toward other dogs and 10 week old puppies sleep a lot. That's not at all abnormal.

·
Earl's momma
78 Posts
Puppies sleep nonstop. My boy slept the ENTIRE day he came home, and basically all of the next. It took a couple days for him to catch up after the shock of a new home. Then he didn't really slow down. They are like human babies. They get fussy and have to go for naps. My boy was also much more interested in people than other dogs, still is a bit if it's a small dog, if think he knows they aren't much fun to play with. Just keep socializing him and he will come around. Earl was terrified of my brothers dog the first half dozen times they met. Now they go on park dates and are inseparable (til my puppy decides its time for "catch the tail"). Let him sleep when he wants. And enjoy it. Soon you'll be wondering if he will ever get tired.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Thought it was probably normal but just wanted others comments for my peace of mind. Thanks again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Please keep in mind that it takes dogs more than two days to settle into somewhere new.

Also, at 10 weeks please make sure that all dogs he's visiting are completely vaccinated and you're not taking him to any areas with heavy dog traffic.

Was just about to say..
At 10 weeks be careful that other environments could have parvo or other infections/diseases etc that you do not want your new pup catching..

Congratulations! Whats his name?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Old wives tale the only time a puppy grows is when they are sleeping. Yes do be careful where your puppy goes until he has all his shots you do not want him to catch anything,good idea when at the vet s is to hold him in your arms do not let him on the floor.
Good Luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Welcome to DT. Patch's Mom had some good advise about HOLDING your puppy at the vet. Shots really are important. Enjoy your new bundle it will grow fast and wonder why it doesn't fit in your lap anymore. lol ;)

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
I have a 12 week old pup...we got him at 9 weeks... and he still LOVES TO SLEEP lol.

As I type this, he is curled up on my feet with a blanket. Out normal day goes like this.

Between 6:30am and 7:30am : Wake up and eat
Out to go potty
Play time for 20 mins or so
Nap time till about 10 or 11 (varies from day to day)
Out to go potty
Play time
Out to go potty
Lunch at noon
Out to go potty
Nap for an hour or two
out to go potty
Play time, walk time, running errands with mom time
Out to go potty
Dinner at 7pm
Out to go potty
nap till 9:30pm
Plays till 10:30-11pm
Out to go potty
Bed at 11pm-11:30pm

When we first got him, he showed no interest in any other dogs but his brother, who he saw when he went to get his ears posted at the breeders. Other than that, he often tried to get away from them.
Then he had a puppy play date with a husky last week, and has since been super dog friendly! Loves all the dogs at his training school (who all have vac. proof with the school)

Your pup sounds normal compared to mine lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcome!
We've named him Tazer :) or Taz for short.
Like I said, I thought it was normal behaviour but just wanted others to clarify as this is the first Doby we've had. He's just had his first set of injections and I have read up on the common diseases dogs esp doby's are vulnerable to and am being especially careful before he's completed his course. As advised only letting him near fully vaccinated dogs which I know etc.

Another quick question for when he's a bit older...
I don't mind him nibbling or play fighting with me or the mrs but how would I teach him to do it with us but not the kids ie how do I get him to tell the difference or is it just something he'll get over time if I tell him off for doin it with the kids.
Thanks again for your input!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts