Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got my first Doberman almost 8 weeks ago. I have wanted one since I was 6 and now 22 years later I got him. His name is Achilles and he is a black and rust. I did a lot of research and preparing for him... Turns out I was not as prepared as a thought. He seams to be extremely intelligent and it was easy to train him to sit, lay down, stay (some what), shake, and speak. For what ever reason my wife and I cannot get him to stop jumping up on us, nipping, or keep him off the couch. We have tried everything, ignoring him, leaving the room, turning around, walking away (if you do this he jumps and bites you in the butt, and I have lost 4 pairs of pants and a few shirts to this), we have tried screaming ouch when he bites, and giving him a very stern no bite and redirecting him to some else to chew on. Nothing works, the longer you work with him on not jumping or biting the more he bites, to the point we have to put him in a play pen and ignore him until he calms down. I don't play rough with him, I don't chase him or let him chase me, he gets no attention when he is hyper, only when he his calm and sitting or laying down. I don't know what to do. I am worried he will not grow out of this on his own and I don't seem to be able to reach him. If he doesn't get better he will not be pleasant to be around when hes 80+ pounds. any help would do. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and to the wonderful world of Dobermans - Puppies are full of energy and must have out lets to burn it off.

Keep lots of stuff animals within reach - when he come to bite distract him with a toy. When he comes to jump up take his collar and have him sit instead then reward and play. It take lots and lots of time to get it through their head. When you turn you back or yelp it is a sign you are weak. So stand up straight and be prepared to get the collar and have him sit.

One game i play is I grab the collar and shake it a little then treat them so they see me grabbing the collar as a postive thing. I hate a dog that runs off when you try to grab them so just train them to love it.

Play ball with him to burn up some energy - Take him to town and walk around expose him to new things - a lot of it is just out of being bored. PLEASE enroll him in an obedience class for everyone sanity and his well being. A well mannered dog is a pleasure.

By 6 or 7 months the new teeth are in and they have a little understanding of the rules so find that obedience class now - he needs the lessons, you need the lessons and he needs the socialization.

good luck and congratulations!!! Dobermans are the best.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would incorporate this exercise into your lives: Wheres my sanity: Sit on the Dog, aka: The long down.

My guess is that you are waiting for the totally out of control behavior before you are beginning to attempt to control the behavior. If that is the case, you are LATE! Calm down the pup who is beginnging to lose control, while they can still hear you. The calm mostly comes from inside you, more than something you do. You cannot be excited (screaming!) and expect to lower his excitement.

Baby puppies also lose control when they are exhausted, just like baby humans. If he is settling down and going to sleep when you've finally had it and stick him in the ex-pen, probably what he needed was a nap. Put him in his crate BEFORE he goes to The Crazy Place... being in The Crazy Place will only teach him to be crazy.

I would also point out that you said something like the more you try to control jumping/biting, the worse it gets. This is a clue that what you are doing is not what you should be doing LOL!

Puppies DO need periods of puppy crazies... it is just that you should not be victimized by it! How much exercise does he get? There is nothing wrong with playing with him, even energetically (chasing and wrestling and tug)... there just need to be rules. Playing and stopping play is a good way to build an "off switch." Stopping play is also a good way to communicate that behavior which causes you blood loss is unacceptable. Alternating play and obedience (or, rewarding obedience with play) is also a great way to instill self-control.

If your pup was eight weeks old when you got him, he is only four months old now. Now is for teaching and such, not for worrying about the future. Your pup sounds totally normal (I would tell you some of the stuff my last pup did, but I don't want to frighten you LOL!).

Get yourselves and your pup to a good puppy class NOW. I would suggest a class run by a local obedience training club which offers classes to the public as your best bet. If you have an opportunity to observe a class which has been in session for some weeks, you should see relatively controlled pups who do not seem intimidated and are paying attention and humans who seem confidant and relaxed... if I see that, I would sign up. I am not a fan of clicker classes or classes which bill themselves as all-positive, but I am sure I am in the minority here in that respect. Seriously, class NOW!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the Doberman world LOL. My 6 month old female pinches. I figured that is why they are called Doberman pinchers. I have mine in obedience school. That would help tremendously. Also, try a water squirt gun. Pups play and he probably will grow out of it but I would get help now before he gets any older and bigger. Best of Luck!!! And Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Read the threads on training and this will help you......your dobe is still a baby .............Welcome to the forum!!:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats on your new doberman. How old is he? To me his age determines how to handle it. I know what we did with advice from our vet with our standard poodle puppy. We got him when he was 8 weeks old or so though. He's 10 months old now. He won't even put his teeth on us. He knows better.
It also depends on the temperament of the pup also. We temperament tested the wazoo out of him before we took him home. He's past his 1st training class over the summer. We are training him now for his CGC and plan to get him TDI trained as a therapy dog. He's truly an awesome dog. Basically a doberman with curly hair!
Our doberman we got at 6 months old and we were her 4th home. She's passed her 1st training class, but does have prior issues that will make getting a CGC difficult if not impossible.

No matter the age, sounds like he may need more exercise. Especially if he's actually hyper in the house. A tried dog is a well behaved dog. If he's young, then with agility or anything you'd want to hold off on those so that his bones/joints develop fully. But you can still take him on brisk walks to wear him out.

I'm also thinking you may get more responses with this issue if you posted in the puppy corner (if he's a pup) or in the training threads. Don't know that it fits here. But it is New Year's Eve, maybe more will see it later.

Happy New Year and welcome to DT!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to the doberman world LOL. Try a water squirt gun when he bites and won't stop. Also he will probably grow out of it too. I take my 6 month old to obedience school and it has been such a help. They told me to put a pinch collar on her and leash and when she jumps up pop the leash downward to get her to not jump. It does pinch, so you want to pop the leash and not keep holding down because that would hurt and maybe cause throat issues. You need to put a stop to it now. Or enroll in a class that can show you how to correct and use a pinch collar. It does work. Best Wishes and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Don't worry, things will get bet better. When they are so young it takes time for them to break those habits. My puppy is 11 months old and when we got him at 10 weeks it seemed like the nipping would never end, it gradually slowed down over a few months but sometimes he still needs a reminder when we are rough housing that he needs to be gentle. I would say " ouch" in a high pitched voice and ignore him for a few minutes when he got too rough. I find that if my boy get a lot of exercise he is calmer and less likely to play rough in the house. I started taking him to the dog park when he had all of his vaccinations and let him play till he was exhausted, they learn quickly from playing with other dogs if they are biting too hard. Be careful at the dog park though, you want him to only have good experiences. If you have friends with dogs who are vaccinated that is even better. I would highly recommend a puppy class for socialization and to help you get started with training. They can help with the nipping situation as well.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Going to try to see if this post shows. Hopefully the situation on posting gets corrected so you can get some good advice.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
1. off the sofa.. make sure he has a " place" of his own, bed, open crate, etc.. and use the work OFF not down because that means lay down. so not to confuse him. every time he gets ont he sofa, say OFF and gently put him off it. sofa and bed are privlages ,
2. Jumping. if he is excited and jumping up when you see him dont talk in excited voise. stay calm, say off, stand straight up, turn back. no attention is given to him until he sits or stopsjumping. this goes for visitors too. no touch, no talk no eye contact. also have him on a long line in the house so if he jumps on someone leaving the room another person can correct him by gently tugging on lead and saying off or no jump.
just stick with your training. there are alot of good resources on Leerburg site. free webinars, and books. you could also maybe start clikcer training. make it fun for him and use treats so he picks it up fast...

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,616 Posts
Sounds like a done puppy! Have you thought of going to some classes to help you with new techniques in dealing with your pup. It would definitely help. Good luck.

Reactions: arankin

·
doberman
14 Posts
since i was about 6 i wanted a doberman now im 22 iv got one aswell... i got a bitch.. i read a lot abot dobermans sort of like your self..

i read 9 times out of 10 dobermans jump up at ppl all the time and at the stage of been a pup is best way to get them out of it as when there bigger they will hurt ppl not meaning to just the dog thinks its ok...

so what i read to do was take the dog to a busy place... e.g park full of kids or town center she will see that many faces she wont want to jump on them this way you reward her with love... dobermans like love more than treats...

my doberman will only jump up at my self if i tell her to now she is 21 weeks this week..

i hope i might of helped u in any way..

kane

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I like the methods you're using and I can't see why it wouldn't be working, it makes me wonder if there's something else going on. How much exercise is he getting? I could see a crazy puppy who isn't getting enough chances to get out his energy acting like this, and that should be an easy enough fix, puppies should be able to run off lead daily. Is he getting a chance to REALLY run and play? When Vegas was a puppy, we'd bring her to a large offlead area to run and play until she would come back to us and lay down at our feet- she wasn't tired enough until then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts