Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m a new member and as of a couple weeks ago a new owner of a Doberman puppy! I’ve been dealing with the normal issues of raising a puppy but the one thing that really has been the most pain is posting his ears and I’m afraid they won’t stand at. I got him shipped in from out of the country and when he arrived he had no ear wrapping on. I got him on a holiday weekend and it took a while to get to the vet to get his ears wrapped up again (looking at examples of wrapping on here, the vet definitely didn’t wrap them right) I finally decided to learn how to do it myself and I’m starting to get the hang of it, but I fear too much time has passed without his ears being posted and I feel as if they’ll never stand. Is there a way to tell if it’s already too late? Any type of feedback would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,014 Posts
How old was he when his ears were cropped and how old is he now? Could you post a picture or two--both unposted and also posted the way you are doing it?

We want to see pictures of all puppies anyway--it's a DT thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old was he when his ears were cropped and how old is he now? Could you post a picture or two--both unposted and also posted the way you are doing it?

We want to see pictures of all puppies anyway--it's a DT thing.
Oh i forgot to add He’s 5 months

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
What the hell were you thinking? When you buy a puppy from out of the country, you will have zero breeder support. They cannot be of much help when they are 6,000 miles away.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What the hell were you thinking? When you buy a puppy from out of the country, you will have zero breeder support. They cannot be of much help when they are 6,000 miles away.

Good luck.
I was thinking that I wanted a European Doberman & I liked the dogs they bred, but thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,014 Posts
Hopefully we can give you some support here.

I'm glad you found us. Welcome to DT from Colorado.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Welcome! There are a lot of pros here to give you support and instruction. Send us pictures with his ears posted so we can see what you are doing. BTW, I have a four month old whose ears look exactly like your boys when they are hanging down. I am having a dicken of a time keeping the posts in his ears. However, after posting one of mine older Dobes until she was two years old I can tell you it is not too late to get those ears up. Don't despair. As the breeder of my Doberman told me when I came whining to her, she said, 'Just keep posting'.

·
Big Lil pup
6,735 Posts
Hi Acherry. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

Handsome pup. What's his name?
The ears? Who knows? There are just too many unknowns. eg.... How old was he when he was cropped? Were his ears ever posted? If so, for how long? It looks like a decent crop and that the ears have healed nicely. That's a start.

IMO, you are doing all that you can do. The bottom line is, that no matter his ears turn out, he will be the same dog.
Treat him well and give him all the care and training he deserves to be the dog that you want.

That being said, your posting job looks pretty good to me. (assuming they stay in!) LOL
The one thing you will want to do when you re-post, is to get the posts all the way up to the very top of the tips. You don't have to wrap tape around the very tip. You can just loosely lay a piece of tape over it to hold the tip to the top of the post.

BTW... Puppies? My son's family has a new Doberman pup who just turned 6 months. He's over here quite a bit, but he just spent a solid week with us (and our male Dobe) for the first time. I just sent him home this afternoon. I think maybe I'm getting too old for Doberman puppies. LOL

Best to you and your boy

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
22,320 Posts
I'll echo what Melbrod and John said...your posting looks pretty good! Just make the posts a little longer so the tip is supported, and all you can do is post very diligently. Keep posting, and make sure you never leave the ears down any longer than it takes to clean and dry the ears, then put them right back up. He's still young. I would not even consider giving up for a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
8,563 Posts
Stay with us.
Plenty of experienced posters I think this forum.
Cute pup and welcome to our world of Dobermans.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Good luck.
It is amazing to me how elevated some Doberman owners think they are behind a keyboard. This place is worse than the Porsche forums, ugh.

Original Poster - I agree with the others, the ears will likely be just fine. You will get the hang of posting, and he is still definitely young enough for them to turn out erect. Don’t fret, all will be well. ❤

·
Big Lil pup
6,735 Posts
It is amazing to me how elevated some Doberman owners think they are behind a keyboard. Kansadobe - go make yourself a mayonnaise sandwich and eat it in your trailer. This place is worse than the Porsche forums, ugh.
Easy there, Doug

The member that you just dissed is a well respected breeder of very accomplished Dobermans. They've been in this world for a long time. And although harsh, their comment, IMO, was essentially spot on. For the average individual here in the US, purchasing a Doberman puppy from overseas can be fraught with problems. So much so, that a good experience, in the long run, tends to be the exception rather than the rule. This is compounded by the fact that the US has been used as a "dumping ground" for some Eastern European breeders for their less than desirable pups. To make matters worse, any recourse for malfeasance on the breeder's part is is practically impossible to pursue. So, one can easily adopt the POV that it makes very good sense to search domestically, and perhaps even regionally for the right pup from the right breeder.

BTW... Personally, it would never even occur to me to purchase a Dobe puppy from a breeder that I could not count on for continuing support for the duration.

Regards,
John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Keep posting and don't leave them down at all - at 5 months you have an uphill battle to get the ears to stand, but it is worth taking a few months to try. They don't look like a very long crop, so I'd give them a decent chance at standing.
I will second the fact that you really can't expect much in the way of breeder support when you bought from a breeder in Europe. You will find some good information here - so keep coming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Easy there, Doug

The member that you just dissed is a well respected breeder of very accomplished Dobermans. They've been in this world for a long time. And although harsh, their comment, IMO, was essentially spot on. For the average individual here in the US, purchasing a Doberman puppy from overseas can be fraught with problems. So much so, that a good experience, in the long run, tends to be the exception rather than the rule. This is compounded by the fact that the US has been used as a "dumping ground" for some Eastern European breeders for their less than desirable pups. To make matters worse, any recourse for malfeasance on the breeder's part is is practically impossible to pursue. So, one can easily adopt the POV that it makes very good sense to search domestically, and perhaps even regionally for the right pup from the right breeder.

BTW... Personally, it would never even occur to me to purchase a Dobe puppy from a breeder that I could not count on for continuing support for the duration.

Regards,
John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Hi John, well said and understood. I edited my poor taste comment: it just struck me as very sad to “yell” at the OP while they’re worried and stressed. Kansas could have used a little tact.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts