Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we just added a five-month old male doberman to our family today, and we are all in love. He is such a fabulous dog, and has been adjusting to his new home very well. His name is Viggo, and he is great with my two daughters, ages 3 1/2 and 16 months. He is already responding to 'sit' commands from my older daughter.

His owner/breeder had planned on keeping him to show him, but his testicals didn't drop, so she decided to give him up. She truly loved this dog and it really shows. And the poor woman had such a hard time saying goodbye, which only assures me that he came from a good home.

We will be starting basic obedience training in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, if anyone has any advice to give a new dobe owner, I am all ears.

Anyway, it's been a long and exciting day. I just wanted to introduce myself.

-Michelle

·
Banned
375 Posts
Hi Michelle I also just joined this forum... it is a very nice setup... you just added a 5 month old dobe to your family... that is awesome...have you dont any research onyour dobe. I have two small ones... well they arent so small any more but they are 3 months... but have you dont temperment research, health research, all those things. well let us know so we know kinda what you would like to know. Thanks Michelle

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Woohoo! Another Doberkid on the block, Congrats! I think soon you will be saying that your 5 month Dobe has just added you to his family, they OWN you. :D

I am owned by a 2 year old Dobe right now - Takira. She is a handful. :) She doe great around my 2 year old and 11 year old also. Dobes are great arent they?

One word of caution and I am sure you already know this but I always say it, never leave your children unsupervised around any dog, doberman or not. You just never know......... (rant over - sorry)

Welcome to the site and make sure you take lots of pictures of your boy and post them in the gallery for us to see.

Thanks
DA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome

We have survived our first 24 hours with our new 5 month old dobe Viggo. It has been exhausting, getting used to him while still trying to take care of our 2 young children. I feel like I haven't sat down for more than 5 miinutes except to go to sleep last night which of course was interrupted by a middle of the night pee run.

But we LOVE Viggo. He is such a fantastic dog. He is so wonderful with the kids. So gentle. It's interesting because he'll only jump up on me and my husband (which we are correcting), but doesn't even think about it with the kids. Today we are seeing more of his personality which only makes him more endearing. He was so reserved yesterday, but it's as if he already knows this is his new family/home.

He did have an accident in the house today but of course that's par for the course. His tummy isn't feeling well ... nerves, I'm sure.

As for his temperment/health, I purchased him from a highly recommended breeder, and he is clear of all common dobe ailments (as is his father, for whom I also have the records). In fact, his father just won first place for his breed at a show today. Since the breeder had intended to keep him as her own, he had always been in the house and raised accordingly, so he is very well behaved. He responds quickly to us when we call him and he even is already sitting on command for my 3 1/2 year old daughter.

Anyway, despite feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment, we are very happy with our decision to add him to our family.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Aww congrats!! Only advice, be firm but loving (obviously you are!) The time will come when they test you, because they are soooooo darn smart! Just be the boss and all will be well!! You'll have a friend and protector for life!!!!!
Get some pics on! Dying to see him!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
:dancing_b Well, congrats on your doberman Boy. I have had dobermans in our family since 1973. I just love the breed and as you can see under my name, we have 4. I was talking to my husband the other day and was saying" Honey we have black and rust and blue and rust, now all we need is a Red and a Fawn and we will have all four colors. Well, maybe when we get a bigger house and some land.. Good luck with your boy
Dobermans Rule!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts