Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am hoping someone can help answer a question. Mabel came into season one week ago and is still bleeding very noticeably. She spots a lot on the floor when walking about an it's soaking into her bedding at night leaving fairly big patches. She seems fine in herself and is eating and drinking normally and still playing etc. our last bitch didn't bleed anything like this much. Is this normal?

Thanks for any advice you can give x

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hi all

I am hoping someone can help answer a question. Mabel came into season one week ago and is still bleeding very noticeably. She spots a lot on the floor when walking about an it's soaking into her bedding at night leaving fairly big patches. She seems fine in herself and is eating and drinking normally and still playing etc. our last bitch didn't bleed anything like this much. Is this normal?

Thanks for any advice you can give x
The amount of discharge can really vary between bitches, and also some bitches keep themselves cleaner than others. Without being there, I don't think any of us can tell you whether there's an amount that's excessive with your girlie.

She'll probably have a noticeable discharge for about 3 weeks, although the color may change some as she moves into the fertile part of the season.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Has she been checked for the bleeding disease Doberman s can get. Also some put fancy pants on their females with a pad inside to keep things cleaner but one has to make sure the dog does not eat them. It has been said boys brief work just have the tail fir though the opening. I have always had my Fur Kids spay ed or neutered i have not had to deal with that problem. I do know you have to keep them under lock & key for a month.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
UGH Flirt was like that. Thank goodness my dog room was hardwood floors back then. Just standing she'd leave a small puddle it seemed!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Buy some hot pants at PetSmart, like 2 pair...or infant Pampers and cut a hole in the rear, for the tail to stick out.
-why 2 pair - cause 1 is always in the washing machine or dryer
Sounds normal to me, unless excessive bleeding.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Bitches vary in their flow... like humans LOL....

Do you have panties or thongs for her?? we had these thongs from Ren's pets a friend recommended, and we stuck a pad in them and changed it every couple of hours. Her flow was VERY light though.... Also only keep them on when she's on furniture or walking around where you don't want her to mess. When she was in the crate we always took them off and threw some old blankets in with her. We rotated them and had to wash them often.

Scarlet just went through her first heat it was really light, and lasted for 3 weeks. Although, yes you need to keep them locked up for about a month...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Around three weeks seemed to be the number for all my girls.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went through this several times with my GSD. I found some "Daisy Duke" looking denim shorts at some pet store and they worked great! They even had little back pockets to make them look like real jeans. They fastened with velcro around her waist. You have to put something in there to absorb the discharge. I cut up an old sweatshirt into hand-sized pieces, got 2 or 3 layers, and used safety pins to attach to the inside of the shorts. That way, I could just change out the sweatshirt pieces daily instead of having to wash the whole thing. The pins really keep it in there and prevented her from pulling out the sweatshirt pieces. If you can't find the shorts, maybe find some kids' jeans and make your own.....hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I went through this several times with my GSD. I found some "Daisy Duke" looking denim shorts at some pet store and they worked great! They even had little back pockets to make them look like real jeans. They fastened with velcro around her waist. You have to put something in there to absorb the discharge. I cut up an old sweatshirt into hand-sized pieces, got 2 or 3 layers, and used safety pins to attach to the inside of the shorts. That way, I could just change out the sweatshirt pieces daily instead of having to wash the whole thing. The pins really keep it in there and prevented her from pulling out the sweatshirt pieces. If you can't find the shorts, maybe find some kids' jeans and make your own.....hope this helps.
These sound hilarious, are there pics of them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts