Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will be quite honest, I thought some of you were a bit sappy when you were emotional over your dog eating raw for the first time. I am one of you now and sappy isn't the word for what I was... I actually had to call a non-dog person to tell her about it because my computer was down and I don't have any of your phone numbers LOL

They both got beef short ribs (don't think I'll feed these very long because they are pretty small and as she grows I can see them becoming a choking factor but these are the perfect size for Petri).
Chi jumped right in and had no problem, she had a blast and it did sound disgusting LOL Petri was pretty hesistant and I finally cut the meat off the bone but left if chunky so he'd have to work to get it bite size... In the fridge thawing out now are turkey necks and we have turkey wings in the freezer :) Don't think I'll be able to feed raw exclusively at least not until I can try to find a local butcher but some is better than nothing, right???
Just had to let y'all know that we have 1 foot and 2 paws on the raw bandwagon :)
Oh and YoYo the cat looked at me like I was smoking crack when I offered him some meat from Petri's bone LOL

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chi's new favorite food and toy seems to be Turkey wings... I cut them in half, figuring the bigger meatier part would be awesome for her and the smaller part good for Petri... Petri still isn't all that impressed and I don't think I'm going to push the issue, at least not until I've gotten this thing down pat with Chi. But the wild dog that she is went nuts with it LOL Do you know how gross those things sound when they splat on the linoleum??? Jordan about lost her spaghetti o's over it LOL But she had a blast tossing it up and then chewing and ripping it a bit and then tossing it up again. Needless to say we've realized that feeding Chi in the kitchen while we eat our own lunch is probably not a good idea... Chi was moved out to the patio where we could keep and eye on her through the sliding glass doors but didn't neccessarily have to hear all the gory details :) This is so much fun!!!! :) And not as expensive as I thought... If I were to feed just turkey and beef (not that I plan to but that's all I have bought so far) I figure I can feed her for about $30.00 - $40.00 a month and that is just shopping at the commissary (am still hoping to find a decent local butcher on the economy). Since I usually spend close to $60.00 on smokes and I've quit (decided today was the day instead of next Monday) I'm still ahead $20.00 a month :) That $20.00 can go toward saving for another Dobe in a few years when we come back to the states and possibly buy a real house with a real yard :) You guys are such a bad influence on me!!!! LOL

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lexus said:
WOOOHOOO! Dobes coming out of the woodwork aroung here!!! Chi is quite the WILD ANIMAL!! It's bring out the WOLF in her!!!! I bet she'll be out there tossing and ripping her raw meat and it will splat on the patio door! Ewww what a sight that would be!!

Kind of like the poo on the neighbors window :) LOL

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well Mark was finally here for a raw lunch yesterday and he is thouroughly grossed out :) Turkey neck happened to be on the menu (not nearly as much fun to toss around as the much meatier wing) VERY crunchy :) He's worried now about all the bacteria found in raw food, especially poultry, and is convinced that this could possibly make her aggressive. "Tracy, we're going to be late one day for a feeding and she's going to look at Petri or Yo and consider them lunch if she gets too used to this raw diet!"

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Lexus said:
Oh man too funny, it WILL bring out the wolf in her!!! Better tell him to watch his fingers hanging over the side of the bed too, in case she gets a craving for a midnight snack!
HA, he needs to be more concerned with her sleeping on top of him or pushing his body into all kinds of wierd positions while he sleep so SHE can be comfortable. It's 1230 and my back is still sore from letting her sleep with me last night LOL I swear she ways 500 pounds when she's asleep LOL

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lexus said:
Okay Jessica, I went to giant eagle again today, and they had a ton of stuff!!! I was psyched! I swear that stuff wasn't there before!! I went up and down the meat row ten times and there was hardly anything out then, I looked like an idiot with my empty cart making trips back and forth. But this time I got RMB's, chicken backs, pig necks, ground beef specials, livers, heart & gizzards, and a lot of it!! I split it all up at home into packages I can defrost and feed for about 3 days at a time. I'll get pretty far on it all! I'll have to get more muscle meat long before I run out of the organ meat, as she get only a bit of that, but at least I'm stocked for quit a while. I was so excited just had to tell another nut!
LOL I'm going to the commissary today and am actually excited about it. This is absolutely pathetic that I'm getting so much pleasure and enjoyment out of feeding my dog rather than my human family... There must be a 12 step program for this!!!!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I got pig necks and ground beef specials too!!!! Stocked up for both the human and k-9 family for at least 2 weeks for $139.00. Can't beat that :) Am still only supplementally feeding raw (Petri LOVES raw ground beef) but did a little more comparison with the kibble labels and found Nutro Max adult to contain the least amount of corn... Also close to $10.00 cheaper a bag WooHoo!!!!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So funny that you said that Jess. Tonight he walked in to find Chi and Petri chowing down on hamburger and cottage cheese and actually asked if we got meat tonight too LOL He was a bit dissapointed when I told him I made black bean soup for us (black beans are an excellent source of protien btw :) ) And did you know that a little bit of apple cider vinegar in their food or water is not only good for their skin and coats but also helps to repel fleas?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Nope not a bit, not in the raw or in the kibble for dinner tonight :) Each got about a tablespoon give or take... I bought (as I read was reccomended) organic apple cider vinegar. Found it in the health food section of the store and I can't remember exactly how much it was but it certainly wasn't outrageous or anything...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.