Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i just got my 8 week old Doberman named Rollie! im excited to have him in the family and watch him grow with us! This is my first pup and I decided to crop his ears on Thursday and now after doing so I feel so bad for him, and wish I wouldn't have went through this process because i already knew how much pain he was in leaving his family :cry: but what is done is now done and we can only let time pass on. and on my instructions said to replace the sock every12-24hrs on his head. i replaced it after the first 24hrs (Friday) and put Neosporin as said. it was so painful for me to do I couldn't replace the sock on Christmas day. today is about to be 48hrs and plan on replacing it today but does this process have to be done every 12-24 hrs? also after putting the new stock it seems like his ear started bleed again. Wondering if that is normal? also if there is any advice to comfort him a lot more?
Wood Headgear Wool Elbow Fashion accessory
Hood Gesture Water Wing Automotive exterior

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would lose the sock, the Neosporin and just let the ears alone until totally healed with no scabs. And often cone causes more problems than it solves.
I was reading about the E cones, but since I'm new I just did what was advised by my vet. but i will let him roam sockless. i just didnt want it to get infected and im scared of him scratching/ breaking the cup this early. its actually very overwhelming. I didn't expect this at all.

·
Premium Member
12,800 Posts
Welcome to DT Rollie !

Remember ---- Take DEEP Breaths -- lol

Your like the second or third one to post here in the last month or so with the cone on there puppy by a Vet - I never seen that used much , You do want to keep his nails trimmed so he don't hook a stich with them ,

Like CR said , Lose the Neo and let them heal natural - The Neo just keep the ear moist and they don't scab over as quick .

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here we were all first timers : ))

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
d often cone causes more problems than it solve
Welcome to DT Rollie !

Your like the second or third one to post here in the last month or so with the cone on there puppy by a Vet - I never seen that used much , You do want to keep his nails trimmed so he don't hook a stich with them ,

Like CR said , Lose the Neo and let them heal natural - The Neo just keep the ear moist and they don't scab over as quick .

Welcome to DT Rollie !

apricate the kind welcoming and words. i think i really needed to hear that breathe part xD
another question. if the cup calls off or breaks, should i just remove it ? (was told that it may happen before the 7day mark)

·
Premium Member
12,800 Posts
I will let somebody else answer the cup question as I have never used one and don't want to mis guild you , Keep checking in here , they are several Pros on here to help you .

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Hi Rollie (and human!)

Ok...
About the cup. Chances are the cup WILL fall off. Especially if you lose the sock which you can, with no problems. When that happens, just leave the ears alone.They can simply hang down until you are ready to post.

About pain... Don't feel bad. Any discomfort your dog is feeling right now is mostly itching.

I also agree with CR. Cones are annoying to the dog, drawing more attention to their situation, Plus, they really can create more issues than the solve. I would avoid a cone whenever possible after cropping.

Here is a link to a discussion about cropping. It contains some info about post crop aftercare, which might be useful:
Ear Cropping and Aftercare: Do's and Don'ts

Here at DT, it is suggested that you learn to post your pup's ears yourself. There are many very good reasons for this and virtually no downsides. The following is a link to an excellent visual tutorial by member greenkouki on what is condidered one of the "go-to" methods for posing cropped ears on Dobermans:
How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

It will be a while before you will start to post. The stitches must be removed and the ears must be completely healed. But in the meantime, read the lesson and gather your supplies. When it is time to post, you will find all the information, advice and support that you need, right here.

Please keep updating. And maybe some more photos of your entire pup. Not just his ears! LOL

John L.
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
OK--I guess I'm one of the pro's. Ditch the cone--the croppers often tell you that you need them so the puppy doesn't try to scratch his ears and catch a suture. From long experience if a puppy does try to scratch an ear and hooks a stitch--he'll find out it hurts and has learned the first lesson--don't scratch and it doesn't hurt.

I don't use sox over the cup--I let them put it one for the ride home and that's about it. I take it off--and I do that by using bandage scissor to cut the sock so you don't have to roll it up and off--and I do it pretty soon after we get home because the longer you wait the more likely it is that you'll have a scab stuck to the sock and if you pull a scab off it'll start bleeding again.

It's only the newer croppers that seem to want you to put neosporin on the ear edge--I've been taking cropped puppies home since 1959 and the vet's I used (who did show cropping) always said--don't put anything on them--leave them alone, don't pick the scabs--when they fall off they do so because the healing is complete.

If the cup falls off or starts to fall off--remove it and just leave the ears alone until you go back to have the sutures removed. Once those are out you've probably still got another week or two before you can start posting--all of the ear where there were sutures needs to be completely healed.

As far as infection goes--your vet should have sent you home with about a weeks worth of antibiotics (pills for the puppyt to take). And as long as the ears are exposed to air and not covered you shouldn't have a problem with any infection but if anything along the ear edge gets to looking swollen or pus-ey recheck with the vet and probably if the pup hasn't ben on oral antibiotics at that point they will give you some to clear up what ever is going on.

And--the most important thing is to remember--BREATHE!.

Happy Boxing Day and the puppy, like all dogs, isn't going to remember the cropping itself or much of the healing--they live in the moment--and when you start posting they'll only remember they got lots of treats.

dobebug

·
Registered
4yr old female
373 Posts
Everything 4x4 and Bug said.

How about some pics of the pup?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys, i just got my 8 week old Doberman named Rollie! im excited to have him in the family and watch him grow with us! This is my first pup and I decided to crop his ears on Thursday and now after doing so I feel so bad for him, and wish I wouldn't have went through this process because i already knew how much pain he was in leaving his family :cry: but what is done is now done and we can only let time pass on. and on my instructions said to replace the sock every12-24hrs on his head. i replaced it after the first 24hrs (Friday) and put Neosporin as said. it was so painful for me to do I couldn't replace the sock on Christmas day. today is about to be 48hrs and plan on replacing it today but does this process have to be done every 12-24 hrs? also after putting the new stock it seems like his ear started bleed again. Wondering if that is normal? also if there is any advice to comfort him a lot more? View attachment 143989 View attachment 143990
That's going to be a nasty infected mess. Take everything off.
already did!

·
Registered
62 Posts
So glad you got such great advice. I totally feel your pain, being my first cropped dobe I went through the same gut wrenching feeling seeing the ears. I think it was harder on me than her. I was sent home with antibiotics and pain meds. My girl was done by a well respected cropper in Washington state and she came from the breeder cropped a day before pick up. I was instructed on how to take the gauze off the next day (48hrs after crop) and I was lucky in that my cone stayed on until she was fully healed which didn’t bother her in the slightest. I’ll post some pictures. This too shall pass and you will admire those beautiful ears ♥ A really cute pup btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
p hasn't ben on oral ant
So glad you got such great advice. I totally feel your pain, being my first cropped dobe I went through the same gut wrenching feeling seeing the ears. I think it was harder on me than her. I was sent home with antibiotics and pain meds. My girl was done by a well respected cropper in Washington state and she came from the breeder cropped a day before pick up. I was instructed on how to take the gauze off the next day (48hrs after crop) and I was lucky in that my cone stayed on until she was fully healed which didn’t bother her in the slightest. I’ll post some pictures. This too shall pass and you will admire those beautiful ears ♥ A really cute pup btw.
such a beautiful pup! that's what I keep telling myself this too shall pass! little pup will be a little pup so I'm just waiting on the scabs to heal. he will re open them from bumping into stuff without knowing or lightly ruff housing. but other than that he seems to be doing well with them, cant wait for the next process, stitches should be off on the 3rd(10days from the cropping) and a 1-2 weeks from than after the ear if fully healed ill be posting the posting pictures. i really want to do this myself but im afraid he wont take it well when putting the rod in his ear. but we shall see!

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Hi (again)
So... "i really want to do this myself but im afraid he wont take it well when putting the rod in his ear. but we shall see!"

Every first timer has trepidations about ear posting. Honestly, even those who've posted before sometimes do too. LOL

The simple fact is that very quickly, often with help, tips and support from the folks here, both the pup and owner figure it out and get used to posting in just a few attempts. Any issue that you might run up against initially, has a tried and true solution. The biggest problem first time Dobe pup owners have is: THEY DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

I few tips for your first few posting:

• After his stitches are removed and his ears start to heal, get hime used to gently handling his ears. Start slow, and reward generously with both treats and praise. By the time posting begins, both of you should be very comfortable with you manipulating his ears
  • Always start with a very tired and relaxed puppy. At least in the beginning. A compliant pup is way easier to deal with than a freshly recharged, hyper ball of energy.
  • Have some one to assist you. Again... A least to start with. Four hands are better than two. One person holds, soothes and rewards the puppy, and the other does the posting/taping
-Before you even begin posting, figure out how and where you are going to do it. Don't just surprise Rollie with a brand new positioning experience. Some folks prefer a table. Some folks initially have the second person hold the pup in their lap. I like to sit in a chair with the dog between my legs facing way from me.
-Every time you post, have all of your ducks in a row... Posts already made, tape cut, solvent and cleaning stuff. available along with plenty of treats.

Finally... You want this to be a positive experience for both of you. Relax... Be calm and upbeat. The months spent posting can be a tremendous aid to developing that all important bond between Dobe and human. In addition, your dog will learn from a very early age, that having hands put on him in a caring and positive way, when necessary, is not a bad thing. In fact it is something to look forward to. Down the line, this will prove to be very advantageous to vets, their techs, groomers, handlers. walkers, boarders and anyone else that your dog may physically interact with throughout their life. It's a win-win situation and opportunity.

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
62 Posts
I spent many hours watching posting videos on YouTube and entered posting into the forum search bar where I’ve spent many more hours reading posts and responses. This really prepared me and my first post was pretty decent. I keep fine tuning and only get better. I use the tampon method but have adapted it to work for me. Even if your first attempt is a little messy, you will get better. Order some unisolve and tape

1 - 20 of 46 Posts