Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
$$ Price does not matter (one cent), your pup is only born, with 1 pairs of ears.

Welcome from Amy & her Canadian Dad, up North.
- everyone new, needs a little advise / just a short writeup, copied from a few days ago...hope some helps

^^^^ Nmbr1Ballr - congrats on puppy !!
a) Basic commands come easier once the fun loving bond is established.
I do this by daily playing, sitting on the living room floor...first I want the pup to respond to my voice and keep eye focus on me.
I avoid treats for training, so I will gently guide a pup into a sit with my hand & use a hand signal for stay...tap the floor with my hand to get puppy down.
- with loads of love and praise
b) If you don't want pup up on the couch, shouldn't let it be there, in the first place / mine sure loves furniture, and is respectful of its own leather love seat.
- my pup earned privileges when its good / learn to listen to me, it can even go out the side door ahead of me & I feel they sense the cause & effect relationship
c) I use the word "ITCH" to discourage puppy destructive chewing...in a stern voice / love and praise immediately following compliance.
d) A few days to a few weeks, pup should know basic commands...other than a solid recall.
After I train inside the house, than I redo exercises outside where there are many more distractions and I can proof our lessons.

More reading.
See my puppy training post:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68153-feisty-bugger.html
A good training website:
www.leerberg.com

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I want to second that price should not be a giant factor here. Your dog only has the one set of ears and a botched crop job can look VERY bad. I would contact reputable breeders in the area (Kettle Cove is the only one that comes to mind off the top f my head) and ask them who they use for cropping. I think in New England the vet that most breeders use is actually in Jersey - but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New pup

All I asked is if anyone know of any other vets around my area. If there isn't I would pay the 650. But why waste money if I don't have too.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
All I asked is if anyone know of any other vets around my area. If there isn't I would pay the 650. But why waste money if I don't have too.
Normally, when you buy from an ethical, reputable breeder, they have already taken care of that for you.

Why did your breeder not make sure the puppy was safely, nicely, cropped, and healed, before sending him home with you?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Congrats on your first Dobie!!!!!
Please take the time to educate yourself, on raising your new pup.
DT has a wealth of information and many ppl willing yo help, you just got to ask.
There is no need to be at your wits end, when you face challenges.
Keep coming back and we also love puppy pics.

Good luck finding a good cropper, as you will be looking at them for a long time

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crop by Dr. Truesdale

Hello,
I got my first dobie in April from a breeder in New Bedford (their first litter) and had her ears done by dr. Truesdale about 4 weeks ago. I'll post pics as soon as i figure out how. My breeder took the last two pups that she kept there as well and i also met two other siblings that were there for ear crops. So far i'm happy with the way the ears look (but of course they're still floppy, sticky from the tape and shaved off). I was a little disappointed with the service there as i always felt rushed. Last night i decided to not take her back there for the third post and just do it myself. I was also a little nervous because when you take your puppy there to get the re-post, you dont get to see the ears. So i hadn't seen Mara's ears for about two weeks because i took her to get first two posts there. First time they taped over the open wound on the right side bottom of the ear and it rubbed pretty badly and it made the would bigger. Second time i expressed my concern in a very firm way and told like three people about it before the puppy went in to make sure the nurse hears word of my concern. It's a big clinic, a lot of dogs come in and out so it gets a little hectic. If you go there make sure you check your puppy's ears thoroughly before leaving the office. I have sat there for ten minutes in the waiting room and took the dog for a walk around the parking lot to make sure they're all in and not causing discomfort before i took the pup home. I have a wriggly pup (as im sure most are) and she shakes and flips and flips and runs and the posts have to be really well stuck on there for them to last 3-4 days.
When i finally got the stickiest tape in the world off with alcohol after like half an hour of pulling on the poor puppy's ears, i was happy to see pink, healthy looking ears. The ears look even, there are no scars although she still has a bit of healing to do at the tips of the ears and the right bottom of the ear. I cleaned them as well as i could with hydrogen peroxide and warm sterile water, glue still stayed on and i'm sure it will be sticky like that for a while. i then put triple antibiotic cream on the areas that still had open woulds and covered that with a bit of cotton so the tape wouldnt stick to the wounds. I used 3M healthcare tape. it's not nearly as sticky as the vet tape so i had to use a little more of it but it all turned out ok (posts still in this morning) and i'm sure it will be a lot easier to take it off.
I'll post pics as her ears start standing so people can see Dr. Truesdale's work.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I dont think getting a decent crop is ever a waste of money, no matter what. Sometimes if you search for someone else to do something when you KNOW there is someone who will do an excellent job because you dont want to "waste" the extra money, you get what you pay for, and the poor dog suffers for it.

Reactions: Adara

·
Doberman
43 Posts
No offense, but if you cant afford that then why do you have a puppy in the first place? If you dont think they deserve the best then your priorities might need revamped.
Not saying saving money isnt a good thing, but when it comes to your pups health and well being it should be top priority. If your thinking about cutting price now then honestly you should of bought a random mixed dog and not this breed.

Either way welcome to the forums. There is a HUGE amount of data here so take full advantage. I hope your pup gets all the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crop by Dr. Truesdale

I said i'd come back with some more pictures. The posts flew out during yesterday's morning walk so i took some pics. Immediately after taking the posts off, the puppy's ears stood up one at a time but then went back to flopped position. So far i am happy with Dr. Truesdale's work. I didnt know much about it when i went, just what i read online so i knew i wanted a longer show cut. He showed me how he measures (pulling the ear down to the eye level, etc.) and how they cut to make sure they're the same. So i basically told him that he's the expert and to make my puppy look good, so he did. It was an hour and a half drive one way to his office and i dont regret going all the way there because there's no one else that does it in the area that i've even heard of/considered. Like i said in my previous post, i suggest going there for the first two-three posts and then doing it on your own after watching about a million videos on how to do it. Mara's ears took a little over three weeks to completely heal so posting is much easier from now on.
As far as the cost goes, i dont have anything to compare it with because there is no one else that i have even heard of or considered. It was a little under 500 for the surgery(480something), $40 when i went back to get stitches taken out and new cup placed (her ears were still not healed so they put the cup back on to let them air out and heal) and then i went there to post first two times: $16 each. The price was what i was expecting, didn't think it was little or too much.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts