Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Majorpuppy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just recently got an account on her I also recently had my puppies ears cropped. Well they taped them up and but the cone on him and sent him home well major has managed to reach him paw into bis cone and scratch the tape off and mess it all up. Well it's Sunday night and I was wondering if there is a temperary way to keep his ears posted preferably with house hold materials until I can get an appointment to the vet. And instructions. He still has his stitches in and I understand the medical tape should not cover the stitches. I'm worried sick.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
i'm not sure what you're saying. it sounds like the vet who cropped the ears covered the stitches in tape...is this correct?

·
Majorpuppy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the vet posted and taped them he did not have tape on the stitches. He had little posts taped to the outside of his ears and then taped the tips together up over hos head. But my puppy has scratched the tape off of his ears and his stitches do not even come out until Thursday(ten days after the cropping)

·
Registered
259 Posts
First off welcome to DT, would love to see pics of your new guy!

You don't have to have them posted until the sutures come out AND the wounds are healed.

Sometimes the vet will tape the ears on the top of the pups head, but its perfectly fine for them to be flopping around until healed.

How old is your puppy? Why didn't your breeder handle this for you? It would have been much less painful healing process for your pup if it was done during the recommended age, since the ear leather is so much thinner then.

Also he would have had the benefit of distraction from the healing process by constant play with his litter mates and much more sleep if the breeder had taken care of this for you. You've got to keep his mind off of scratching! By play, training/obedience, RMB, frozen kongs, bully sticks, etc.

·
Majorpuppy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have a vet appointment for later but if it's okay for them to flop around until the stitches come out should I just cancel the appointment it's 30 miles. Since all the tape is off one ear is standing up good and the other ear is up but kinda leaning over the top of his head. If I can figure out a way to post a pic of it while on my phone I will

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks! I have a vet appointment for later but if it's okay for them to flop around until the stitches come out should I just cancel the appointment it's 30 miles. Since all the tape is off one ear is standing up good and the other ear is up but kinda leaning over the top of his head. If I can figure out a way to post a pic of it while on my phone I will
I would cancel. They are fine to flop until they are healed to post.

Gosh he's adorable!!!

·
Majorpuppy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just pulled up at the vet! Lol oh well it might give me a chance to change vets I wasn't too pleased with the one who taped them saturday. And thanks I think he knows he's cute and will use it against any one lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts