Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

First beg. OB class last night--Need some major work.

899 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Luvbirds 
Good for you going to obedience classes. Jordon wil do nothing but get better.:)
Dogs do stress in these classes when they don`t understand what you want. Thats when you have to back off. Yawning--believe it or not is one sign. Sometimes they just shut down and refuse to do anything. All dogs are different and you will learn to read Jordons` signs. In the early classes I would not allow Tamora to visit other dogs. She would become too silly and I wanted her to know this was class--no fooling around. I can now say (my word is visit) and allow some interaction and than bring her back to attention.
I really don`t care to do this in classese though.

I wouldn`t bring kids to class either, especially in the beginning, thats too much distraction.

Last week we had a group of children (handicapped) they sat and watched and clapped for us. Our group of canines were wonderful. After our class all the dogs were taken over for the kids to pet if they wanted.
However, this class that I am in, we are now in our second session togeather.
My goodness the progress that has been made. Sit, downs, recalls, distractions, heeling--you name it. If you saw the first class and our present classes, well it doesn`t look like the same dogs.

As far as people comiing over I would crate and let Jordon view the company in the same room as your guests. Any barking or growling I would tell him to stop. If he seems comfortable bring him out on a leash to visit those that like dogs after a period of time.
Jordon will do nothing but get better. Keep a journal, I wish I had. Have fun!

Ooops, forgot to mention. Training, cleasses of all kinds etc. are all confidence boosters. The more they learn, the praise they get from it all make for positive feed back to a breed that really wants to please--you just have to show them what it is. (many baby steps first)
You will end up having one very confident dog in himself and in you being the leader of the pack.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.