Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

First beg. OB class last night--Need some major work.

903 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Luvbirds 
Greeting Company

Sounds like Jordan might be a bit unsure of himself in certain situations, but he is still a puppy so I don't feel that this will be a problem as long as it is still being worked on. Keep up with the classes, this is only the beginning and things will get better as time goes on.

I agree with Mary that putting him close could be be sending him mixed signals. Here is another idea for teaching him about greeting company. When someone comes to the door put him in a sit-stay, let your company in and have them completely ignore him (don't even look at him). If he starts to growl, bark or carry on, tell him 'thank you' or 'enough' or whatever you want to be a quiet/settle signal, and continue on with your company, you may need to repeat this a few times.

If he carries on for more than a few times, put him in his crate until he settles down and then let him out, again with the company ignoring him. When he is calm then the company can greet him with a brief calm hello and a pet. If he riles on approach it is the same thing - settle him. If he can't be settled he goes back in his crate. Calmly. This is done until he and the person(s) can greet calmly.

The point you need to get across to him here is that in order to have a pleasant interaction, everyone needs to be calm and polite, including him. This worked very well for my rescue boy, though we had to work on it more than some others I suspect. The nice thing is now we can welcome guests into our home in a relaxing and enjoyable manner for all.

Good luck with Jordan. He will be fine. :)

:peace:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.