Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

First beg. OB class last night--Need some major work.

907 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Luvbirds 
If I were near I would help you out :( I know how hard it is to find people to help...

coco our lab mix is fearful...he use to just back up and crawl into his skin when scared and people would be able to come up to him and pet or we took him to training but he hated it. always frozed up and we feel we made a mistake putting him in training so soon. (we started right when he would allow us to give him a treat) but he is very fearful and this is probably more extreme than your Jordan :)

I think we should have waited to start taking coco to training class after we worked with him to build confidence to just be able to function in public places at his comfort level. I think the amount of stress he had from obedience class was actually a set back. He learned obedience...but he cant perform in the training facility since he whips his head around cause he is worried about the dog behind him, or jumps on me for security, or wont come when called very well cause he looked like he was lost and scared and leaned away from the trainer when she was holding his leash. Would freeze up while healing if a little more comotion than usually uprised.

but if Jordan doesnt seem TOO stressed about class and can actually function...its just with the trainer handling him that he is alittle fearful then I would create that as part of the training. If this is something you think you have to work up towards then start smaller but I was thinking having the trainer sit with Jordan and hold his leash before class while you are right by him....start for short periods of time...and release him with LOTS of Cookies!!! or better yet have the trainer give Jordan cookies too!!! :)

That is good he is playful around other dogs :)

In a CGC test part of it is where the evaluator holds your dog on the leash and you have to leave out of sight or out of the building. so its good you have recognized this as a specific area that needs attention :)

once jordan feels okay with being held by the trainer while getting treats and then you are right there with him and he gets treats after you release him they you can start playing games like
"pass the puppy" where you switch puppies with someone and just pet them...play with them...and then depending on how many people your switching with return the puppy and COOKIES...but they also get cookies from the other people they switched with too lol

EVENTUALLY...you might be able to switch puppies and train with them for awhile to get them use to being handled by different people...
Our trainer had us switch and Duchess was doing off leash...so the owner I switched with was baffled as to how that is going to work lol I just said to do things like you normally would she will stay by you lol. and then I had someone else's rottweiler and awesome in obedience and is now doing Open...but she was way too strong for me to control in the process of trying to get back to her mom! PUUUUULLLLLING and heading straight for mom. all the obedience flew out the door for the moment since she was seperated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.