Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was 1 week after the first post done by the vet. I took his ears down and cleaned them out. Pretty gross. My first attempt I forgot to wrap the tape sticky side out...he shook them out within 30 seconds. Second attempt went better...but he shook out the base again within 30 secs because I didn't take aroud the bell. I retaped around the bell and put a support piece in the middle. Here are a few pics of Einstein without posts and after what he looks like now.

The tape is pulling a lot of hair off his ears, is that normal? He has a few spots that were bleeding because of the tape.
The base of his ears seem to be very "loose"...I can't get the post in far enough to stop it from coming out without taping around the base.
Also not sure if you can tell from the pics but his left ear seems to have a bit more "front" to it if that makes sense.
Anyway...how does it look?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
For a pup that young, I think he is doing great.

Our dobe had one lazy ear till 7 months young...and took another 4 weeks to make perfect.

At 5 months old, when the adult teeth come in, reposting is common / Einstein's name is most fitting, he looks like a smart boy & handsome, already.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Not bad...you could loosen the bridge between the ears a bit to about the 10 and 2 position. Also, sprinkle powder on the ears before you post them which will help with the pulling out the hair. I use Gold Bond medicated powder. :)

Jan

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
939 Posts
The left ear just looks like it was "twisted" around the post when it went up. One of Callie's ears looked like that when I took a post down. Just make sure you pull the ear up and straight before you stick the post to it.

You don't even need a bridge between his ears.. I know it looks like it does! :) His ears should be at 10 and 2 (like on a clock), to help prevent pockets (which will make his ears tip in towards the center of his head) from forming.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The left ear just looks like it was "twisted" around the post when it went up. One of Callie's ears looked like that when I took a post down. Just make sure you pull the ear up and straight before you stick the post to it.

You don't even need a bridge between his ears.. I know it looks like it does! :) His ears should be at 10 and 2 (like on a clock), to help prevent pockets (which will make his ears tip in towards the center of his head) from forming.

I agree with this totally. Especially the twisted part. Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. As you can see I didn't have a bridge up at first but he shakes so hard that without the bridge the base end of the post pops out. The bridge is there to hold the ears together when he shakes. I could remove it...but then what would be the best solution to keeping the post base in place? I thought about trying a more ridged post, going to the tampon method, but I am fresh out of el cheapo tampons :roflmao:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Oh my, I had forgotten how trying posting is.......I will soon be experiencing it and hope I can do it correctly. Your final product looks good and he looks content.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It looks so nice and neat the way you've done it but you will probably have to tape down around the bottom part of the ear to hold it down in there. That will make it a little messier looking when you scrunch it.

That is assuming you have the post down in the ear as far as it will go.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Its been a looong time since I've done ears.
Quite frankly we drove to the breeders every time we required a reset.

Einstien is cute as the dickens. Just gorgeous. Hope you are enjoying puppy time.

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
You might send a PM to Sizzledog and see if she can help you with the first couple of postings. I think she's in your area.

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
You can use Goo Gone to loosen the tape, this way it isn't painful and wont pull off hair. Use the small bottle that you can open and dip a Q-tip in it. The spray bottle looks too hard to control where you put it. I wish I had goo gone for all my previous dobes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts