Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucy completed her AKC Rally Novice 3rd leg today, with a score of 89 and 1st place, and picked up her RN. I knew today's venue would not be easy and had been warned about it by my OB trainer. The Rally ring was right next to a lagoon filled with geese. For a dog with massive prey drive who would chase birds all day if she could, not good. One of the stewards told me "Oh, we've had some swimmers". LOL. Glad I wasn't working offleash! It wasn't our best performance but I'm proud of her. And I'm so happy I don't have to show in that ring the rest of the weekend! LOL. I prefer indoor rings if at all possible. :)

This is the first time we have competed together in obedience, and it's been really helpful to use the rally competition and ring time as a gauge of where we are at with our training, and what we need to work on before we are ready to go for AKC Novice OB.

I am scoping out shows now where AKC Beginner Novice (BN) is offered and hope to go for that this spring, and then hopefully CD by end of calendar year. It's gonna be a fun year!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Congrats! I'm new to all these awesome titles you can work for, my first is going to be this march, and I may look into OB and rally later in the year :)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats! I'm new to all these awesome titles you can work for, my first is going to be this march, and I may look into OB and rally later in the year :)
Thanks! It's amazing all the different fun stuff there is to do with our dogs, isn't it?! Sounds like you have the bug too. Good luck! :)

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Congratulations. Even though it is on lead, when the dog is more interested in what's going on outside the ring than in, it can be tough (ask me how I know). If Lucy has a lot of prey drive, have you considered doing the CAT?

Reactions: HarvestMoon

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations. Even though it is on lead, when the dog is more interested in what's going on outside the ring than in, it can be tough (ask me how I know).

Tell me about it, isn't that the truth! We have a lot of work to do still to get consistent focus and attention amidst these types of distractions. It doesn't matter how well she can perform the exercises in training, if I can't keep her totally focused and engaged in the competition ring...

If Lucy has a lot of prey drive, have you considered doing the CAT?
What is the CAT? In the back of my mind it sounds familiar but have no recollection of what it is. I looked up "CAT Dog training" and all I got was a bunch of info on training dogs around cats. LOL. Oh, Lucy would definitely love to play with some cats! LOL. A little too much I'm afraid...

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
CAT is the Coursing Ability Test. It's lure coursing for those of us without sighthounds, although sighthounds can also do it. The dogs run either a 300 yard course (dogs under 10 inches in height, or brachycephalic), or 600 yards. There is a time limit of either 1.5 minutes (300 yd) or 2 minutes (600 yd). The lure is usually white plastic bags, attached to a pully system run by a motor. Dogs are either passed or failed, and can earn a CA (Coursing Ability) 3 passes, CAA, (Coursing Ability Advanced) 10 passes, or CAX (Coursing Ability Excellent). 25 passes.

When you go to the AKC website, go to the "Events" section, then "Performance Events". They have all the info there, including upcoming tests. I am going to try it with Ilka in March. I'm sure she'd rather chase things, instead of doing that annoying obedience stuff I keep insisting on. :)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Congratulations on the new title! You should be very proud! Hopefully Sabrina will get her BN in April.

I've found there are very few trials, at least here, that offer BN and when they do they fill up quick. I also hope to get her CD this year.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Big congrats on your new nurse :D But seriously, congrats!

:fireworks:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CAT is the Coursing Ability Test. It's lure coursing for those of us without sighthounds, although sighthounds can also do it. The dogs run either a 300 yard course (dogs under 10 inches in height, or brachycephalic), or 600 yards. There is a time limit of either 1.5 minutes (300 yd) or 2 minutes (600 yd). The lure is usually white plastic bags, attached to a pully system run by a motor. Dogs are either passed or failed, and can earn a CA (Coursing Ability) 3 passes, CAA, (Coursing Ability Advanced) 10 passes, or CAX (Coursing Ability Excellent). 25 passes.

When you go to the AKC website, go to the "Events" section, then "Performance Events". They have all the info there, including upcoming tests. I am going to try it with Ilka in March. I'm sure she'd rather chase things, instead of doing that annoying obedience stuff I keep insisting on. :)
Thank you! I knew it rang a bell there was a recent thread on here about someone getting some CAT legs with her two Dobes and papillon.

Lucy would LOVE lure coursing! And I'm super excited a fun match is offering lure coursing next weekend. I really hope to enter Lucy.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats, where's the wining picture :)
Thanks! I got a professional pic since it was our title leg. Will post when I get it, assuming it turns out ok. :)

Congratulations on the new title! You should be very proud! Hopefully Sabrina will get her BN in April.

I've found there are very few trials, at least here, that offer BN and when they do they fill up quick. I also hope to get her CD this year.
Thanks! I'm excited for you and Sabrina going for your BN! I've found the same thing about not many shows offering. I'm scouring premium lists to find some where it's offered in hopefully an indoor ring. I miss east coast where more shows were indoors. Showing outside has been much harder for us. :)

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
I can have an even harder time finding trials, because not all clubs will accept All Americans. I've been to a couple of clusters where one club didn't take them, but the other one did. I've seen some I would have liked to have entered, but they were for purebreds only. Ilka is usually the only All American entered when we show.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Never Will Forget You
3,288 Posts
Fantastic! You must be thrilled!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts