Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really is.

My current Dobe, Bonnie, started doing some SAR training months ago. Unfortunately she didn't work out. She was from a BYB, and came with some rather serious anxiety issues. I worked on her for a few months and thought she was getting better, but it turned out, she was only better when I was around, and handler bias is not allowed in our SAR program. This is entirely my fault, I failed my dog, but being as she was the first dog who's ever been my sole responsibility, I suppose I should have known that I would make mistakes.

I'd really like to get another Doberman in the future and give SAR work another try, but finding a breeder who has proven dogs, health tests, is willing to establish a working relationship, and has a decent set of morals isn't as easy as I thought that it would be. Now I'm not in the market at present- I'm not really financially able to take another dog at the time and I'd like Bonnie to be at least well into her 2nd year of life before I get another, but I've always been the type to plan ahead. Besides, I want to have a relationship with my breeder, not just buy a pup and call that the end of it. I want a breeder who's willing to help me learn about the bloodlines they work with and the accomplishments their dogs have made, because generally when I see a dog's full list of titles all I see is a scrambled-up alphabet, and I'd like to learn more.

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for breeders that fit that criteria (breeding proven working dogs, health tests, and is interested in maintaining contact with puppy buyers). I have time to look so I'm not rushed, and I have seen three or four promising looking breeders, but it seems like I'm wading through an ocean of BYBs and show breeders (not that I'm comparing the two). It'd be great if someone could point me to breeders like that in the southeast, but for a good pup I'd be more than willing to ship (within North America).

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
From my personal experience:
Masaya
Swift Run
Both breeders answer all any questions... Masaya has a Swift Run Beautiful girl...

And a list I took from another post

vom Landgraf
von Luka
Incredible Dobermans
Kansa Dobe
Beja
Kye
First Stryk
Cara
von Moellerhof
Wustensturm
de Tejas
von Hess
vom Zenhof
Bell'Lavoro
vom Koby Haus

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It is hard to find working breeders becuase it is hard work. The list above is good Kye got his start in SAR with Schatzi and Portia who are both from me. He does not have a litter planned right now.

You can visit the United Doberman Club breeder referral section to find working breeders who work train and show our own dogs.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I would look for breedes who have put some of the diflicult titles on their dogs and a pedigree with a history of working titles. The list above is an excellent one.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Kye's have a breeding happening soon. Larry can help you. I would call him.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I just spoke t Larry last week and I know Brandi WIlliams did breed to Deacon but did not mention breeding Lexi, but that does not mean he is not. You can always check to be sure.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Does Bonnie still spend a lot of time tethered outside? That might contribute to her anxiety.
The only time the dogs are tethered or kenneled is when nobody's home because I don't believe in putting dogs in a shipping crate, with just enough room to stand up and turn around, while I'm at work. So when the weather's good she spends the day in a sunny 1,250 square foot space instead. My trainer suggested just the opposite, that she's so used to always being right at my side that she freaks out when I leave her with a strange person. Literally 85% of her day is spent within 10 feet of me, most days... with my next dog I'm going to try to instill a little more independence.

Thanks for all the responses! That list especially was very helpful. And I know it's not easy; I can't imagine the dedication it takes! I know I could never be a breeder.

·
The Baddest Dog
745 Posts
The only time the dogs are tethered or kenneled is when nobody's home because I don't believe in putting dogs in a shipping crate, with just enough room to stand up and turn around, while I'm at work. So when the weather's good she spends the day in a sunny 1,250 square foot space instead. My trainer suggested just the opposite, that she's so used to always being right at my side that she freaks out when I leave her with a strange person. Literally 85% of her day is spent within 10 feet of me, most days... with my next dog I'm going to try to instill a little more independence.

Thanks for all the responses! That list especially was very helpful. And I know it's not easy; I can't imagine the dedication it takes! I know I could never be a breeder.
So it's ok to subject her to possible danger for the other 15% of her day leaving her outside unsupervised on a chain? Will you be doing this with your SAR prospect? Still planning on getting an ADBA show APBT? That's gonna be a full yard!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts