Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I say "got to," I guess, nothing's been stopping me. I have a major phobia of train tracks, but I've always loved the idea of shooting on tracks, and I finally sucked it up and did this week. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it gave me an interesting jumping off point for future attempts.

The results...

5 (3) by bl_meyers, on Flickr

12 (2) by bl_meyers, on Flickr

10 (2) by bl_meyers, on Flickr

4 (3) by bl_meyers, on Flickr

8 (2) by bl_meyers, on Flickr

3 (4) by bl_meyers, on Flickr

2 (4) by bl_meyers, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I love the photos and the concept. I understand about not getting it "right" the first time and wanting to go back and try again. There's an old spring house near where I live and I haven't quite captured it yet.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Lovely photos. I really like her little "teef" showing in the second one.

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
These are really beautiful!

I love the second picture, too. She's such a pretty girl; makes for a great subject. :)

The third picture is very nice. I'd frame that one.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? The third has been one of my least favorites, I was concerned that the lighting was too stark, somehow. Interesting to hear that feedback, and thanks, all of you. :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I love number two, it captures her collie-ness. Those collies never can seem to keep those front teeth from showing, always "smiling", add that to the way they use that wedge head and nose to do so much arm shoving, butt poking, and up close and personal face sniffing and what's not to love :)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The first one is my favorite, but I'm a sucker for leading lines and happy expressions. :) Love it!

Reactions: Sherryh and annolyn

·
Censored
716 Posts
I also liked the first one best. Brilliant colors and a gorgeous collie dog to boot :) Plus I like the railroad tracks theme. Very cool results.

I heart collies.

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
I like the third one best also. The thing is, B&W is a lot harder to do well than most people realize. I know professional photographers shoot almost exclusively in medium format black and white, and it takes years of practice to see a scene in color, and know that it would look good in B&W. B&W gives you the "bare bones" of a scene, if you will, while color can sometimes actually be distracting.

I mentioned the book "From Uncertain to Blue" by photographer Keith Carter in another thread. It has been reissued, and if you get a look at it, you will see what I mean about the "bare bones" aspect of B&W.

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love number two, it captures her collie-ness. Those collies never can seem to keep those front teeth from showing, always "smiling", add that to the way they use that wedge head and nose to do so much arm shoving, butt poking, and up close and personal face sniffing and what's not to love :)
Well somebody has known a Collie or two. :D Likewise, your whole post summed up the Collie personality, to me.

Thank you all for the feedback! It's really interesting and helpful to see them through different eyes, strengths and weaknesses that I hadn't noticed before because I have my own set of preferences for pictures. I've loved reading these comments!

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the third one best also. The thing is, B&W is a lot harder to do well than most people realize. I know professional photographers shoot almost exclusively in medium format black and white, and it takes years of practice to see a scene in color, and know that it would look good in B&W. B&W gives you the "bare bones" of a scene, if you will, while color can sometimes actually be distracting.

I mentioned the book "From Uncertain to Blue" by photographer Keith Carter in another thread. It has been reissued, and if you get a look at it, you will see what I mean about the "bare bones" aspect of B&W.
I checked out some of the pictures from the book you mentioned. I see what you mean. Sometimes color does seem to take away from a picture, the same picture in black and white would really get to the heart of the personality and intention in a photo. Others, it doesn't work at all. I've been working on learning the difference since I was a teenager, and I still have a hell of a lot to learn.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Well somebody has known a Collie or two. :D Likewise, your whole post summed up the Collie personality, to me.

Thank you all for the feedback! It's really interesting and helpful to see them through different eyes, strengths and weaknesses that I hadn't noticed before because I have my own set of preferences for pictures. I've loved reading these comments!
Or dozens ;) My moms on her third smooth in my lifetime plus a rough at one point when I was younger, and needless to say there are several local breeders I'm quite close with :D

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or dozens ;) My moms on her third smooth in my lifetime plus a rough at one point when I was younger, and needless to say there are several local breeders I'm quite close with :D
I know of a few local breeders, but really fairly few Collies around here, so it always kind of makes my day to run into people who get my breed. (I've been desperately in love with Dobermans since I was a teenager, but somehow along the way I fell happily into the Collie niche, and am ecstatic that my fiance and I now also have a Doberman.) I've only ever run into two Collies out and about in Indiana. Good to see a Collie fan here. :)

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
I checked out some of the pictures from the book you mentioned. I see what you mean. Sometimes color does seem to take away from a picture, the same picture in black and white would really get to the heart of the personality and intention in a photo. Others, it doesn't work at all. I've been working on learning the difference since I was a teenager, and I still have a hell of a lot to learn.
Since that book came out, over twenty years ago, he has been treated for occular cancer. His photopgraphy has evolved to reflect how his vision has changed. He still teaches occassionally, and I wish I could afford to take a class.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts