Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lexie has always liked to play fetch. In fact, when she was 5 weeks old and we went to first see her, we tossed a doggie toy and she went and got it and brought it back to my husband. We have had the problem of not letting the toy go. I would hold the toy and say drop it, and that became a tug of war. Then I would slide my finger to the side of her mouth and say drop it, but that really never worked. Last night I threw one of her toys and she ran and brought it back. I was talking to my husband and was kind of ignoring her. So Lexie, on her own, drops the toy at my feet and sits as if to say play with me. So now I found when she brings her toy back if I give her a few moments to chew it and not say anything she will just drop the toy. Then I tell her what a good girl she is!
Lisa

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That's great.

You'll find that she will be "toy crazy", which gives you one more incentive to use when training her. With Mensa, sometimes I use food to motivate her, but usually I use a toy like a tennis ball.

Before long, she'll be catching frisbees like Chihiro, Nikita, and Mensa.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
If you ever have problems with her not dropping the toy, just gently pull her gum over one of her canines and apply pressure. usually dogs will instantly drop it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
DUchess is one who doesnt give up her toys...she has a death grip on it and we tried everything to get her to let go...like lifting it up in the air...she hangs off the ground lol. I would block her nose but I gave up with that before she did haha. finally I found something that works...
when its something like her frisbee...which is most of the time...I grab it and if she doesnt let go then I bring it down to the ground and step on it. must be something about my foot and the toy being stepped on by me that she doesnt mind letting go...but it works. :) eventually most times I can just grab it and start lowering it to the ground but she will let go now :) yay!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If I HAVE to get something out of Mensa's mouth I put two fingers under her top, front teeth and lift. Never takes much pressure.

When we're playing fetch I always use two toys. Usually two Frisbees. When she sees the second one in my hand, she forgets all about the one in her mouth and drops it.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Like Chaz says, Using two toys is a good way to start to teach the release. Especially when you are playing fetch and they want it to continue, you can use that as a motivation for them to release. If they don't release, the game ends. Just walk away from them about five steps. In order for the game to continue, they have to release the fetch item.Be persistent. I also took another approach on this. Whenever my girl had something in her mouth, I would take it from her, tell her she a good girl and then give it back. I did this for almost anything she had at first. My thinking was that most dogs always gets something taken away from them they weren't suppose to have and they never get it back. So their thinking was if I give it to them, I lose it. So when I kept giving something back to her after she gave it to me, she started to associate that if I give it up, I will get it back. So 95% of the time she gets its back and only a small percentage of the time she doesn't get it back. Just more of my wacko reasoning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts