Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My brother was staying in town a few weeks back and during that time...I'd always find her on an air mattress i set up for him. During his "goodbye party", I had brought down the other half of the air bed for any guest who was too inebriated to drive lol. lo and behold, who made it their own that night? I've inflated it a few times during the day when we watch movies and she just goes over and takes a nap. she's on it right now actually. The thing thats gets me if she hasn't tried to probe to see if it has fluffy stuff or maim the darn thing lol. Finger's crossed!

On the other hand I have to buy another regular pet bed for her since she destroyed her last one a week ago. Lasted a good 3 months lol. When did your pup outgrow that stage? I love her, but damn, I'm tired of paying big bucks for pet beds :( She sleeps on the bed at night...I just need something for the hard flooring downstairs. She doesn't like the throws. Just pet beds and.... apparently air mattresses.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LOL - well Callie, my pit/pointer destroyed a dog bed a few days ago and she is 4 1/2 - lol. But she had gone a few years since her last dog bed destruction. Bumpy - 16 months - has never destroyed a dog bed, so I think it depends on the individual dog. That air mattress looks so comfy - makes me want to nap.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
The thing thats gets me if she hasn't tried to probe to see if it has fluffy stuff or maim the darn thing lol. Finger's crossed!

On the other hand I have to buy another regular pet bed for her since she destroyed her last one a week ago. Lasted a good 3 months lol. When did your pup outgrow that stage? I love her, but damn, I'm tired of paying big bucks for pet beds :(
Personally if she just destroyed a dog bed I wouldn't trust her with her own bed without your supervision for awhile. That is also so you can direct her behavior before she tears things up, let her know that is not okay. Then build up the time she can be on it unsupervised, like baby steps. Eating beds can be dangerous to the dog, as well as costly for you. Each dog is different as far as stages go and chewing certain items.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Cute pics. Good luck. A few years back I was camping and taking the luxury route with an air bed. Someone (won't name names Asher) decided to fluff the air bed and POP! Down, down, down we went. That was the end of the luxury trip. I think he was more upset about it than I was.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Isabelle is 7 and she still can not be trusted with a dog bed. I don't know why. She used to chew up comforters when she was young too. We now have a comforter on the bed which she doesn't bother, but give her a dog bed and you'll be lucky if it last a day or two. I wonder if it is because the are kinda like giant stuffies :) Anyway - we gave up on the idea of her having her own bed. She uses the small sofa in the familyroom.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I like the idea of any "dog" bed that looks like a regular mattress...since we dont find most ripping open OUR bed haha...
thats a smart idea...I would be afraid duchess would pop it when she tries to "nest" into it lol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
She looks so comfy on the bed :) Do you have a Costco nearby? They usually have pretty nice inexpensive beds. The last ones we got there were large round ones filled with cedar (the outside cover is zippered so you can wash it). They were less than $20 each. We bought 3 and put them in various places throughout the house that the dogs like to lay.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I must be just lucky or something......Petey never ever chews his beds...so far?! He has 2 LL Beans and a cheap bed in the crate.

Carol

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Such a pretty girl! And a smart one at that - the Aerobed is a pretty nice alternative to the hardwood floor, esp when it has those cool valleys she can snuggle her nose into!

In the past Java pulled some of the batting out of her crate liner, which meant I got to stuff it back in and sew it back up! She will crib her polar fleece blanket but not rip it apart. SRD has a floor pillow (Woolrich bought at Chez Target, removable brick red and khaki stripe cotton cover) that she has never attempted to chew. Surprisingly, I thought my 'good' needlepoint living room throw pillows might be in danger, but Java soon realized that they were for leaning against and snuggling into when I'm not looking...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Love the photos.. sure is pretty.. I have the same problem.. Mainly with the girls.. they still like to chew sometimes and will chew up their beds or blankets..Raven is the worst and she is almost 7.. I got some cheap pillow beds at Sam's for $20 each then went to the fabric store and got some canvas material and made a slip cover for the beds.. even if they chew it takes a while for them to destroy the slipcover.. It has be 10 months and they have just now put holes in the slipcovers.. so this weekend I am making new slipcovers for all the beds.. best of all I can remove them once a week and wash them..

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I adopted Rudi at age 2 1/2. He has only destroyed about 3 or 4 stuffies in the 2 years I've had him.
He prefers the couch. Ugh! I did come across a crib mattress for $5 at Goodwill. I had my mom, "the sewer" make a good durable denim cover for it. The cats use it more than he does.....WHATEVER!

In my sig below........;one of my cats destroyed the zipper on the pillow bed cover (chewed and gnarled the zipper in the middle) so I ended up throwing it away because even after washing the cover, it was still pretty stinky from Rudi during his "stinky dog times.".

·
Registered
144 Posts
funny, it seems that as long as he is IN the house, the bed will be ok. One day I made the mistake of taking the same bed and placing it outside. It was in SHREDS within in hour and the guts were all over the yard!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sadie has never bothered her pet pillow... but my little throw pillows on the other hand are mutilated... she likes chewing the corners off and seeing how much stuffing she can pull out of the little holes she makes. She has also experimented with chewing holes in towels, socks, and one of my favorite t-shirts lmao. Surprisingly she doesn't eat any of it (other than the few strings that get stuck in her mouth that she cant spit out lol) and amazingly she doesnt tear up anything of "hers" unless it's just a stuffy. I guess it just depends on the dog.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Good grief what a pretty girl. I LOVE her head!
Hope the new bed works out for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts