Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

I recently read a comment by @Rosemary on a thread, and she mentioned the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy course online. I looked into it and it looks like something I'd definitely sign up for! I'm thinking maybe:

Focus Games
Baby Genius
Introduction to Nosework
and/or
Loose Leash Walkers Anonymous

(omg there are so many I want to take...)

I couldn't find any recent threads about the Academy (the ones I saw were from 2014), so does anyone have an opinion about taking an online course through them? I was going to go with the Bronze level because...yikes, the others are expensive! (and if I sign up for more than one course, I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that may not work for me) Any feedback would be appreciated!

PS, I'm still working on ear posting.. -.-; I think I may have to try a method other than the backer rod.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I think a number of people on DT do courses through Fenzi and most of the feed back rates them as good or better.

I know Fenzi has had threads where they were talked about more recently than 2014--but they are probably imbedded in other posts about training, facilities and options--not under just Fenzi.

Are you still having problems with posting? Can't remember what the problems were specifically--I'll go look and see if I can find that thread but you might want to start another ears thread and explain what you've been doing and how it has or hasn't been working and what method were you thinking of going to?

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
I love FDSA. There are others here (they aren't on much, these days) are also students. I know a lot of people love Baby Genius. I've not taken Focus Games, but did take Get Focused.

Taking a bronze level class is a good way to get your toes wet. They also have scholarships that cover half the tuition of a bronze level class (you are limited to one class a session with a scholarship).

Probably the best thing about being an FDSA student is the community you become a part of. There is a very active Facebook group you can join, as well as student groups for your classes.

Reactions: gamermouse0213

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I also love FSDA courses! I have taken Nosework 1 and 2, Get Focused, Shaping, and several others. All at Bronze. I live in Central America and don't have access to in-person classes, so Fenzi works well for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a number of people on DT do courses through Fenzi and most of the feed back rates them as good or better.

I know Fenzi has had threads where they were talked about more recently than 2014--but they are probably imbedded in other posts about training, facilities and options--not under just Fenzi.

Are you still having problems with posting? Can't remember what the problems were specifically--I'll go look and see if I can find that thread but you might want to start another ears thread and explain what you've been doing and how it has or hasn't been working and what method were you thinking of going to?
Troubles are still with me, yes. The posts aren't staying in. I tried wrapping with Zonas tape and with a paper tape that was suggested to me by a member here, but he shakes them out. I tried using more tape around the posts but didn't want to over tape and cause any circulation issues (though I take care to tape loosely.) I'm pushing/twisting the posts down as much as I can without feeling as if I'm hurting him. I was going to try using a tampon instead of a backer rod to see if that works any better for us.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Troubles are still with me, yes. The posts aren't staying in. I tried wrapping with Zonas tape and with a paper tape that was suggested to me by a member here, but he shakes them out. I tried using more tape around the posts but didn't want to over tape and cause any circulation issues (though I take care to tape loosely.) I'm pushing/twisting the posts down as much as I can without feeling as if I'm hurting him. I was going to try using a tampon instead of a backer rod to see if that works any better for us.
Gamer,

You might want to take a look at the thread that Chesa has going on posting ears for her puppy Ace.

I think I actually posted the same suggestion on your earlier thread about your puppy shaking posts out. Chesa has posted some pictures and the most recent posts for her suggested that she needed not only to make sure that the posts were actually getting all the way down in the ear canal but that she probably needed to modify how she was taping.

I like the Zonas tape better than any of the paper tapes because it conforms to the ear shape better than paper tapes.

But for many crops where the area toward the very base of the crop is very open (there are a couple of different types of crops where this is the case) that, along with getting the post completely down into the ear canal ,you need to close up that very open base so that it is not as easy for the puppy to shake the posts out.

Try, when you repost to when you get to the point where you are going to start taping (and I recommend putting the bottom wraps in first) seat the post into the ear canal--while you push down on the post and pull up on the ear use one finger to PUSH the back edge of the ear toward the front of the ear to close that open area somewhat--dead end your tape on the post and tape toward the skull--aiming the tape up and around the top of the ear and then down to end the tape at the same place you started it. It's important to push the back of the ear leather toward the front of the ear though. It will narrow the opening at the base of the ear so that it's much harder for a puppy to dislodge a post. Take a second piece of tape and put in a second wrap of tape the same way--it will make a sort of herringbone pattern where the ends of the tape are. You want to end up with only enough space between the back edge and front of the ear to just dead end the beginning and end of the wrap of tape on the post itself.

Try doing this without a post in the ear so you can see what pushing that back edge of the ear toward the front does. Then do the same thing with the post in the ear.

I'm not sure that you'll find that changing to tampons as posts will improve the problem with posts popping out. Usually that is a problem that only can be solved with modification of HOW you are taping

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
I've taken close to 40 FDSA classes so far, and I'd rate just one of them as a dud (for me — other folks were perfectly happy with the class I didn't enjoy). As Rosemary mentioned, the FB community is exceptionally kind and supportive; it's an awesome place to boost your morale when you're feeling discouraged or to celebrate your victories, however large or small.

I'm also considering Focus Games this session. I took Get Focused years ago and really enjoyed it. As a newbie, I'd also take a look at Relationship Walks with Donna Hill or Engagement with Denise Fenzi.

I started out the same way you did — I took one "throwaway" class at bronze (Nosework 101) to see how I liked the format, and I never looked back. I took bronze classes for a long time, and saved up for gold classes that I knew I would need individual help with — skills I had never taught before, things that were just completely outside my realm of experience. If you're pretty self-motivated, and if you jump into the online support community with both feet and aren't afraid to ask your fellow students for help, you can get a tremendous bang for your buck with the bronze level.

Good luck, hope we'll see you around! I'm always happy to see other Dobe teams :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hooray! I've signed up for two courses! Has anyone else signed up for anything this term? =D
I'm excited to start working with Zeus, especially when it comes to focusing. I can't blame him though. The world is an interesting place!

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
Hooray! I've signed up for two courses! Has anyone else signed up for anything this term? =D
I'm excited to start working with Zeus, especially when it comes to focusing. I can't blame him though. The world is an interesting place!
I was wondering if that was a DT person posting in the FDSA Alumni group. Welcome to the world of Fenzi. :)

I wasn't planning on taking anything this session, so that I can work on some of the things in my library, but I'm contemplating taking Baby Genius myself, just to have it if/when I get a puppy. I keep looking at the local shelters' Facebook pages....

The Feelings Change desensitization and counter-conditioning class might be a good idea, considering how much Lily hates having her feet handled. And *sigh* there are another three or four classes that look good.

Reactions: gamermouse0213

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
Hooray! Silas and I ended up signing up for the Proof Positive: Adding Distractions class. We'll probably just leave it at that, for this session.

Now that you're enrolled, you can join the Facebook groups! When you're feeling like you've gotten a handle on the forums, come over to the alumni page and introduce yourself :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/fdsa.alumni/ You can find links on that page to the individual "lurker" groups for each class (or instructions on how to search for and request to join the appropriate lurker groups).

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
Now that you're enrolled, you can join the Facebook groups! When you're feeling like you've gotten a handle on the forums, come over to the alumni page and introduce yourself :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/fdsa.alumni/ You can find links on that page to the individual "lurker" groups for each class (or instructions on how to search for and request to join the appropriate lurker groups).
If she's who I think she is, I added her the other day, and people have already pointed her in the direction of the student groups. :)

Reactions: SilasPup
1 - 12 of 12 Posts