Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an estimate of $2100.00(Expensive!!!) for a chain-linked fence behind my house. Really thinking about going this route because I just don't trust wireless fences/collars anymore. He would be able to go through a doggie door in the back and have plenty of room to run and have a large pecan tree for shade while playing outside.

How did you go about keeping your dog contained while not watching them outside?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I don't prefer chainlink myself but regular fencing the dogs can't see though. However, chainlink is better than any of those invisible fence types.

If your dog is still under 1, I'd have limited time outside unsupervised so he doesn't develop bad habits. I also personally couldn't have a dog without nice fences.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't prefer chainlink myself but regular fencing the dogs can't see though. However, chainlink is better than any of those invisible fence types.

If your dog is still under 1, I'd have limited time outside unsupervised so he doesn't develop bad habits. I also personally couldn't have a dog without nice fences.
I eventually want to have it where he can go out and come in as he pleases once he's fully house-trained. That way we don't have to get up and let him out everytime he needs to potty. That's how all our other dogs were.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
The majority of my fence is 4(ish) foot chain link. My dogs are rarely outside unsupervised simply because the dobe can jump it easy and even the little one (about the size of a Shetland Sheepdog) could climb that fence like's its only a foot tall.

While it's not my favorite, plenty of people in the world have chainlink fencing. However, I wouldn't leave him outside unsupervised for more than a few minutes (if ever) because if he finds something fun to chase or he gets bored a doberman can clear that fence like it's nothing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
round up a bunch of friends/family and have a "puttin up a wooden fence" party :p
haha yea that's what a friend suggested. The thing is though, it would probably take us a week(possibly 2) to get it put up and it would take this company a day to put it up. They have all the supplies, equipment and tools to get it done. They also put up tension wire at the bottom of the fence too. This is free he claimed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The majority of my fence is 4(ish) foot chain link. My dogs are rarely outside unsupervised simply because the dobe can jump it easy and even the little one (about the size of a Shetland Sheepdog) could climb that fence like's its only a foot tall.

While it's not my favorite, plenty of people in the world have chainlink fencing. However, I wouldn't leave him outside unsupervised for more than a few minutes (if ever) because if he finds something fun to chase or he gets bored a doberman can clear that fence like it's nothing.
It will be 4 foot fence. He did mention that if I ever needed to go higher, they could easily come back and extend the fence height. He said that he had seen quite a few people run a hot wire at the top instead of extending the fence height. That would be a cheaper option.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I've seen lots of dogs climb chain-link, so as many said, I wouldn't recommend it for unsupervised use. I have an 8' privacy fence (wood) and I find it it to be the best option. (If you have a digger, you'll have to run concrete or chicken wire along the bottom perimeter)

·
Registered
595 Posts
First girl, had a 6' wood fence, she jumped it, yup....jumped it!
Second girl, had a 4' chain link fence, she dug under it, yup right through it!
Third girl, taught boundary training, she never left the yard!
Fourth girl will have a temporary fence from doggie door to area for potty and will be boundary trained. Mostly just don't let them out unsupervised while they are young. The older they get the more reliable they become. :D

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
If u can afford it wooden privacy is the way to go.
My first Dobe I had a kid poke a stick thru the chainlink and cut him above the eye. My ex was home at time and she was lazy leaving him out there. I figured out who the kid was cuz I watched when school got out and when he saw that kid he went ballistic. I told the KI'd it was in his burst interest to find a different way to walk home. Which he did.
I also think with chainlink they can see too much.

Edit: prior to my incident I was never keen on leaving them outside alone. Too much b.s. can happen when still very young.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a 4' chain link - I have no doubt Koa could clear that in a heartbeat if he wanted (especially since he's out-of-standard tall), but he's very respectful of boundaries. He's not ever outside unsupervised though - at least not more than a minute or two - so I can't help with a type of fence for unsupervised use. I have to think their creative minds would get out of any fence when bored.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've had 4' and 6' chain link with my Dobes. None have ever tried to jump, climb or dig under the fencing. I have no doubt they could have had they wanted to.

You do have to be careful if there are kids around for some unknown reason they think its fun to tease a Dog. Whether kids will be a problem depends are where you are located & the area you want to fence in. Just like a child you do have to keep an eye on your dog/puppy.

My friends have either chain link or wrought iron in my experience and that of my friends Dobes/Dogs like to see what's going on in their surroundings a form of socializing if you will.

With chain link if its 4' you can extend it and make it 6' and you can weave thru slats if at some point you did want it solid.

·
Banned
494 Posts
I have a side yard that is a cedar fence, six foot tall, and my back yard is six foot black chain link. The dogs like to be able to see out, watch the world go by. And so do I.

I really cannot imagine my dogs climbing this fence, although their father was trained to and able to scale an eight-foot wooden fence. Besides, at the top I have barb arms pointing inward with netting over them, which is probably a deterrent. It's there to keep my cats in. And it works.

I never leave the dogs out in the yard when I am not home. And as for kids messing with them...they will bark any time someone approaches the fence, upon which I go out and see what's happening. If there are kids hanging around I just remind them that the area outside the fence is my property, too. In other words, they're trespassing. : )

·
Registered
675 Posts
I never leave the dogs out in the yard when I am not home. And as for kids messing with them...they will bark any time someone approaches the fence, upon which I go out and see what's happening. If there are kids hanging around I just remind them that the area outside the fence is my property, too. In other words, they're trespassing. : )

Very true "never" leave your Dobe/Dog out in the yard when you are not home that is a given.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't planning on leaving him outside by his self for long periods of time. The purpose of the set up I described was so that when he gets older, he can walk in/out by himself when he needs to potty. I will be able to hear him when he comes in/out and if I ever had to leave he would be crated until he gets older.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
When I got estimates a few years ago, there wasn't much cost difference between a 6 foot wooden fence and chain link. If you can afford it, I'd put up a higher, wooden fence.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
it's not as bad as you think. Do you have any handyman service companies in your area? Might be cheaper if you purchased all the materials and then had a handyman install the fence. Renting a power auger (for hole digging) is pretty inexpensive and makes the job go much quicker.

haha yea that's what a friend suggested. The thing is though, it would probably take us a week(possibly 2) to get it put up and it would take this company a day to put it up. They have all the supplies, equipment and tools to get it done. They also put up tension wire at the bottom of the fence too. This is free he claimed.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
If you have to have chain link, go with at least 6' right off the bat. We had a privacy fence, but it got knocked down by Rita. We had to replace it with a chain link fence. Not my choice, but by after Rita, to have another privacy fence built, it would have cost three times what the chain link cost. The chain link after Rita cost more than a privacy fence before Rita. :(

If your dog digs at all, I suggest you have chainlink, chicken wire or hardware cloth buried along the bottom of the fence. Ilka has dug out more in the two years I've had her than Lucky did in his entire 12 years.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad
1 - 20 of 31 Posts