Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Fence Height

9K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  ajp240 
#1 ·
What fence height do you suggest for a Doberman? We are having a few companies come out to give us estimates and I want to know what's best. Our puppy won't be coming home until late May, but I want to get started! :)

I'm guessing a 6 foot fence is best, but would shorter work? What height fence do you have?

(Sorry if this has been discussed earlier, but I read through 5 pages of search and didn't have any luck.)

#2 ·
I mean, 6 foot is nothing for a determined dog but it's a good, average fence size. Most of the fencing in the house that I have now is 4 ft chain-link. However, my dog is never outside unsupervised and/or bored so I have no worries about him jumping the fence. More than the height, to me, what's important is the base... making sure it's solid and not easily dug under (this preference isn't due to my dog as much as my neighbor's dogs, however).

#4 ·
I have a 5' wooden fence but it was already here when I purchased the house. If I had to put one up, I would go with a 6' privacy fence.

Make sure you check local ordinances with fence installation. In my neighborhood, permanent structures have to be approved by the zoning commission.

#5 ·
I have a 4' chain link, but I have NO DOUBT that if Koa wanted to get over it he could - and I'd think a 6' as well. Some of it comes down to him knowing his boundaries and respecting them. He is also never outside alone, I'm always with him or checking through the window if he's just out to potty.

#7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!

Luckily we live somewhere where we can put up just about anything. The thing is, we have a beautiful stream in our backyard and I still want visibility of that, so a privacy fence isn't an option. I don't want my backyard to feel tiny since we can't fence the whole thing with the stream running through the middle.

Here are my ideas, we'll see how pricing narrows it down. :)

#9 ·
Cedar fence I like 6 ft.
Right now I have a city park fence on one side of property that is 6' heavy duty chain link, with schedule 40 pipe.
Other side is residential grade 4' chain link / too short, in my opinion.

My dobe never once thought to climb the fence, in 11 years.

#12 ·
My parents live waaaaaay up in the mountains, out in the wilderness, and have a fence like #3, 8' tall. It keeps the GSD in, and the elk out of the gardens. Does a REALLY good job! No escapes/intruders in well over a decade, and they leave the dog out all day while they work. (Not that I'm advocating this- its just what they do, despite my ranting)

At our house, we have the standard 6' wood privacy fence. I feel like the dogs are secure in it, but I don't leave them alone because I'm worried they'll eat something or dig or any number of other things.. I'm kinda uptight about them.

Of your options, I like the first one the best! It seems like (from what I can see) a safe spacing, and its a good looking fence.

Reactions: Sherryh
#13 ·
We have a 6' fence. When he was younger, Lucky could clear 4', so a 6' fence was a must. We used to have a wooden privacy fence, but we had to replace it with chain link after Rita.

As for your choices, I like the first one best, and agree to make sure the pickets are close enough together to avoid catching a head. To avoid digging out, you can have a trench dug, have something like chicken wire or hardware cloth laid down, and covered with sod or mulch.

#14 ·
I have the fencing that is in the second last photo except I used metal posts as I had to do it in a hurry.

I will be putting up a 50' x 10' dog run and I will be using the wire fencing again. This time I will be using wood posts and also a wood rail along the top for strength. It's a much cheaper alternative to wood or even chain link.

All my fencing is 5ft and I have pretty high drive dogs and never once had a problem with them trying to jump the fence.

I would say most of your choices look pretty expensive and the last one looks more like you should be living on a farm.

#15 ·
In Spain I am required by law to have a fence of at least 2 metres high (6'.6") of steel reinforced none climbable fencing (in my case is it chain link but we have an angled bar at the top with an overhang to stop my boy being able to shin up the fence and so escape, honestly they think he is Houdini I swear). All fencing (Larch Lap is not acceptable) must be fastened / supported by solid galvanised steel poles set in concrete. The base of the fence must be set in concrete or blocks and the dog must not be able to climb on anything so that the height of the fence is reduced. My gates must be of equal height and fastened with chains and locks so no one can simply open the gates and walk in by accident. (Erm, how the heck do you open a gate and enter it by accident.)
I find this height fence to be sufficient for keeping my boy in. But I guess if he really really wanted to get out he would find a way somehow.

By the way, Toby can jump 6 foot with ease so I think the overhang is a must in our case.

#16 ·
I've got an 8 foot cedar privacy fence. 6 foot pickets with 2 feet of rot board along the bottom. I've also got the "pretty side" all the way around so there are no 2x4's for a dog to climb up. I've never had any of my dogs or fosters even attempt to try to jump or climb it.

#17 ·
I've got a standard 4' split rail with 4' wire on the inside. My dogs are not ever out in the yard without me and I've never had an issue - but I know some people do. I really train them not to even put paws on the fence right from when they are a puppy.

I'm doing some maintenance and repair on my fence this month, but hope to replace it with a 5' aluminum fence in a few years. I will do one with the puppy pickets along the bottom 2' - as young puppies can go right though the basic aluminum fencing.

#18 ·
I always had a 6' wood privacy fence until we moved to New Jersey and I found out after we bought a house that the town ordinance only allowed a maximum 4 feet, and we needed to put a fence in where we were moving. I was in shock and so worried we might have a problem, as I know our male Dobe at that time could have jumped over a 4 foot fence with little effort if he wanted to. Thankfully I never had an issue, although he was always supervised in the yard. When Lucy came along, she too never had an issue with it.

Where we live now in California, we have 4' wrought iron fence and I doubt we will replace it because we look out to an open view that we would not want to obstruct. Thankfully, I've never had a problem here either. But again, my dog is always supervised in the yard.

Those pictures of fences you posted are all really pretty. I think I like the first one best. If you can, I would try to go at least 5' though. For me, 4' seems really low even though I have now had a few houses with 4' fences...

You will have to post pics of what you end up with!

#19 ·
I like #2 the best! But #1 for a Dobermann.

It looks like wielded wire are in most of those. Don't go with wielded wire. Personal experience. It breaks easy. It's not reinforced. You can break it with your fingers, practically. If a Dobe, even accidentally, ran full speed into it.. You would have a huge hole in your fence. So if you go with #3 or #4.. go with this type of wire..

Goat Fence, 48 in. x 330 ft. - 3660338 | Tractor Supply Company
This stuff does not break. It's perfect!

If you want smaller panels, you can do a no-climb horse fence.
Non-Climb Horse Fence, 48 in. x 200 ft. - 3610692 | Tractor Supply Company

I have horses, goats, chickens, hogs, and a Juno. None of them can get out of the goat fence.

#20 ·
I don' think there is any pat answer on this. Most Dobermans will stay in a 4 foot fence. Some can clear a 6 foot fence with ease. The key is to not let the habit get started. DON'T LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY CAN GET OUT. If they start and find out they can get out of the fence they are in, then the problem will get worse with each event.

#21 ·
We have a 6ft wooden privacy fence at the new house, but my dogs will respect just about any barrier. I had a cardboard box (maybe 1.5ft tall) blocking the doorway of the bedroom last weekend when I was painting, and they never tried to go over/around it. :) They haven't tried to challenge the baby gate at all either.

#24 ·
I like the look of split rail.

it doesn't matter the height, a dog will go over if he/she wants to. I volunteer at a dobe rescue. We had a dog in a outdoor run, with a 6 ft fence. He must not have cared for it, cause he scaled that sucker in seconds. Funny is, we have fencing around the entire property, and, also, around the play areas. He never wanted to get over those fences. He just did not like the smaller enclosure.

#25 ·
I agree with what a lot of others have said. None of the 4 dobes my family has had were ever fence jumpers. My parents have a 4' chain link fence and before that I think even less. My house has a 6' privacy fence on 3 1/2 sides, which is nice for the fact that he can't see a bunch of people/dogs walking by or at a distance (we live on a corner). However, the gate is actually a regular chain link gate turned on its side (was that way when we moved in), SO was panicked about it but I told him even though physically Rowan could easily clear it, he doesn't realize that and I'd like to keep it that way ;)

Teach good boundaries, supervise and get something that is aesthetically pleasing to you! And of course keep in mind safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.