Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning on redoing some of our fence around the yard this summer.
In all of your expert opinions, what is tall enough? Should I just bite the bullet and go 6 feet? I Know that is probably the safest thing to do. But some of the existing fence we are not replacing is only 4.5 feet tall...
Im assuming it depends on the individual dog wheather hes a fence jumper or not.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Go 6 feet.... Not only so that he can't jump it, but also so that people cant just walk over to the fence and stick their hand over. I guess they still could with a 6 foot, but it would take alot more work.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I believe ours is 5 and a half....although Duchess doesnt jump unless she is told to for agility or something. The golden retriever that she plays with doesnt jump because they use to put up gates in the areas they wanted blocked off in the house...and they would fall alot...and therefore the gates scare him and wouldnt even think of jumping...so their fence is only 3 and a half...and Duchess Could definatly jump that but Doesnt...But there yard is farther back...no sidewalk...or any random people walking by. We are fine with the 5 and a half fence that is RIGHT next to the sidewalk...
I would say 5-6 feet would be good...she will learn that those are her boundaries and that jumping seems to not even be a question if you raise her from puppy with a fence
Here are some of the best photos i had on the computer of the fence...not to mention the funny dogs that got in the way of the picture lol jk.

WOoooo Coco is getting Duchess

Lets take a closer look at that long jump coco likes to do when he leaps like a bunny!

Once again ours is 5 and a half...I also like the arch going up instead of down...when they go down like this...

I think they are more inviting for a dog to jump (this is the 3-3.5 ft. fence for the golden)

·
Registered
357 Posts
we have about 5 1/2 fence.. the place that we are looking at to own is about 4 foot or so but my boys dont jump on fences if they cant see what is behind it.. now if it was a chain link fence i would go 6 ft for safty.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
lol we see mostly lab but I always thought he had some shepard b.c his ears stand up half way then flop over...in the pics they are standing b.c of the wind and him running and jumping.

Yeah I would for sure go with something about 6 feet if it is chain link.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
beautiful dogs (natch) but how did you get such a nice lawn???astroturf???

it didn't take long for pollo do "landscape" our backyard!

cc

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Don't overlook the bottom of the fence. My Half-Dobie Katie is a real escape artist. She digs under the fence. Consequently, I have enough logs to rebuild Fort Laramie laying along the fence bottom.

If you go for a slat-fence like the one LapDog shows, nail the boards on the inside of the cross-bar. My friend used to have slat-type fence with the slats nailed to the outside of the crossbar. He also has a Labrador, and he (the Lab) figured out he could just push on a board and pop it loose.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
BackInBlack said:
Go 6 feet.... Not only so that he can't jump it, but also so that people cant just walk over to the fence and stick their hand over. I guess they still could with a 6 foot, but it would take alot more work.
Yeah, I agree. I've always had 6 ft. fencing, and wouldn't really feel secure with anything less.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
We have split rail with the wire on the inside. I guess it is somewhere around 4 1/2 feet give or take a few inches. I've never had an issue with fencing, and I think it really depends on the dog and the area. When we lived in a very urban area (ST. Petersburg FL), we had a 6' privacy fence...but also had an alley behind us. At our last house we had a 4' picket, and the houses were close together. Now we have the split rail with wire, and have more space between houses and open land behind us. I never leave the dogs out unsupervised, and really discourage jumping up on the fence - they can see out just fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. My lab is an escape artist also. Maybe I just pour concrete at the bottom and get it over with!

·
Registered
134 Posts
What do you guys think of invisible fencing? We have been discussing getting a fence at our house too. We live out in the country and have two acres, so putting chain link around the whole thing would be out of our price range, I'm sure. Our boxer has always been pretty good about staying in the yard, but our other dog just takes off if she gets loose, we have to take her out on a leash every time. I kind of wonder if she would just go through an invisible fence.
Jen

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dogs4jen said:
What do you guys think of invisible fencing? We have been discussing getting a fence at our house too. We live out in the country and have two acres, so putting chain link around the whole thing would be out of our price range, I'm sure. Our boxer has always been pretty good about staying in the yard, but our other dog just takes off if she gets loose, we have to take her out on a leash every time. I kind of wonder if she would just go through an invisible fence.
Jen
I'd never rely on invisible fencing. A dog who goes into drive (seeing a cat or other small animal, for example) can crash right thru invisible fences..then once the stimulus is removed, they'll be unwilling to go back thru the fence.

Also, this kind of fencing doesn't stop other animals (or people) from coming in.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I have a few neighbors that swear by them, but after I watched their dogs wondering through the neighborhood on their own on many occasions, I concluded that It seems more of a hassle than anything. We took the bullet and put up an actual fence, which is way more costly than the invisible fence. Plus the added security of knowing something or someone will not come into my yard that easily, for the dogs safety was my main concern...

We have a mix of 5 foot and 6 foot heights due to a multiple tier backyard. Never had a problem with jumping. My girl seems more intent with being able to see through the fence than going over the fence, in which some areas I think she could. She really likes to patrol the fence line letting everybody know she's a doberman living here....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also have post and rail with wire fencing on it. This is the part that isnt so tall. Its the pasture fence that borders our yard. Hopefully being raised with the horses will deture any jumping to get to the horses!
We got a GSD once. We rescued her from an awful life of being chained as a breeding dog. GOt her home and all she did was bark at the horses and try to chase them. That was all she thought about. Didnt care if we were out in the yard to play with her or not. After several months of this we got rid of her. A man my husband works with wanted her . He also had horses on his property so we warned him about her "obsession". He still wanted her. 4 yrs. later, she STILL barks at the horses!! He even tried a bark collar, no good! Im so glad we got rid of that dog!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I know a person who has four acres. He has posts like barbed wire fencing does, except they are 5 feet tall and he uses chicken wire that has 4 X 4 squares with a board on the top and bottom

1 - 20 of 29 Posts