Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chernobyl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i have a Ten month old Female Doberman, im going to be getting a Newfoundland puppy in about four months (im looking now though) and im wondering what gender to purchase. ive read that its rarer in females but its worse. so should i just play it safe and get a male? (im really hopeing to rescue, and maybe foster for a week to see how it'd get along with my pup though im really not too worried she gets along with everything, but it is her domain)

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
I would recommend you wait until your current female is fully mature (2+ years old) so you can see what her adult disposition/personality will be and then make the decision on what breed/sex/personality of puppy to bring home.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I agree. At this age you don't have a clear full idea of her adult personality, which can be different than puppy personality. Puppies often love every other dog. Not so much with adults.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Having raised two dobe puppies in the last 5 years.....wait until she is at least 2. I think 3 plus is even better. It's so much work to have them too close together, I liken it to juggling jello! I recently fostered a girl with my boy who just turned 2, he immediately started picking up on her bad habits :rolleyesww: , suddenly it was like I was back to square one with my boy and I had to train 2 dogs at the same time. If I was to add another to my pack it won't be until my current boy is 3.5.

I think a male might be your best bet.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'd love to add another doberman to our family, but like the others, we're waiting until our puppy is 3 or 3.5, and we have her training really solid. Not only is it important to space out the age for maturity/training, I'd be absolutely crushed to lose two dogs in the same year, or a year apart. Hopefully this will be spacing out the inevitable heart ache a bit :( From our research, we will be getting a male to avoid problems. Same sex aggression can happen with two females.. why risk it? I'd like another girl, but IMO a peaceful cohesive household is far more important.

Just a second thought..I can't imagine how time consuming it would be to train two young dogs at once- not enough hours in the day!

Reactions: Adara

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I agree with the others about waiting until the dog you have now is at least 2 before adding another puppy.

I can't say same sex aggression never exists between doberman bitches. But it's FAR less common with the girls than it is with the boys. LOTS of homes running multiple bitches together.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Also, it seems like same-sex DA (at least the minor cases of it) can be different in bitches than it is in dogs. I have two bitches right now that are great IN the house - but they can't be in the yard together.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I have 2 females right now, they are 10 months apart. I got the younger one when her "sister" was right around a year old. The older one, Nexus is going to be 2 next month, and I have seen an increase in her attitude over the past couple months. She is not aggressive, but she is less tolerant toward her little sister on some things. I have also noticed more dominant behaviour from her, trying to mount the younger one, pushing her around, literally, she will side up next to her and shove her away from something she wants. She sits on top of Bella, and she will chase her off the bed in the comp room when she is laying on it.
Now, having said this, she is not aggressive toward Bella. She is dominant, but they do not fight. They will grouch at each other, but you are going to get that with any 2 dogs. Once in a great while Nexus will get very growly, and it will begin to escalate, however, she self corrects and I have only had to intervene a couple times.
Given my circumstances, Nexus could turn aggressive on her sister, given her personality and her dominance, but we keep the peace between them. I think in some ways having them together so young helped these two. That is NOT the norm. I dont seek to make it seem as if it is. If I had known more, perhaps been here before getting Bella I would have learned many things and held off on getting Bella until Nexus was more mature, but then she might not have tolerated another dog at all. So in my situation it worked, for now. There is always the possibility she could escalate but given Bella's disposition and knowing Nexus is boss, it shouldnt.
If I had it to do over again, there are aLOT of things I would do different, including where my dogs came from.

·
Chernobyl
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the advice! I've done more research and it'd be wiser to wait (though it'll be hard) and also this way we can better prepare ourselves once again for the awesomeness that is puppyhood..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah i agree id wait too!
I would add that if you were to rescue which is great!..
That you dont know what the rescue dogs personality will be like
Either as may need alot of retraining etc..could get very stressful.
IMO,

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts