Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday Gracie got her daily morning 1.5 cups of food. Last night she got about 1.5 cups but she kept nosing her food storage bin. So I gave her another .5 cups of food. (She almost never noses her food bin unless she is still hungry. So this morning I gave Gracie 2 cups of food this morning, I kinda figured that she might not eat tonight because I gave her so much food. Well I just feed her 1.5 cups. She ate it all and kept nosing her food bin again. So I gave her another 1.5 cups of food. She ate it all. When she is done eating and is full she will go lay down or walk around, but she never noses her food bin. So now for the past few days she has been. So should I bump her food amount up to 2 cups in the morning and 2.5 cups at night and see how that works? In the winter is when she gets the most excercise. Because she doesn't stop running and jumping in the snow. So I hope this is just a winter thing for her...

Any advice would be more than welcome. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ava used to act like she was starving when I fed her kibble. It was like she couldn't get enough. After her transition to raw, her appetite has cooled off and she's content with her meals.

If this is a sudden change, it wouldn't hurt to drop a stool sample off at the vet if you haven't had one checked on her recently. *shrugs*

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
When one of my guy tells me "hey Mom I'm still hungry" they get just a little bit of dog food and if they are still hungry they get vegetables or fruit. Good for them but less calories..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we got Gracie (last winter) she was eating 2.5 cups morning and night. We cut her back because she was getting a little chunky. After we cut her back she was at a very good weight. Then after a few months of being on 2 cups morning and night she wouldn't eat her second meal. So we cut her back to 1.5 cups morning and night. Which worked great all summer long for the most part. So I am now wondering if it's just a winter thing. I am going to try 2 cups morning and night for a few days. If she keeps nosing the food bin then I will get a sample and drop it off to my vets office.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ive noticed a big increase in Harveys food intake now its got colder ..which is great as he has alittle extra padding now lol after what seemed a life time of being too skinny on the ribs :)

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I noticed Nikita did this just a few weeks ago. When the fall temps started coming in, her food intaked increased for a few weeks. She was usually on 4 to 5 cups a day, plus the normal egg, boiled chicken and veggies. She became restless and would not settle down during this time. I was up to 7 to 8 cups of kibble for a few weeks until I noticed the poop increase and I started to cut back. We are almost back to notmal now.

It does take more energy to keep warm in the colder temps. Ans she is still highly active. I have also alittle more fat into her diet, which seems to help abit. I am using Ricotta cheese as my fat source, plus to see is she will gain alittle more weight.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
HA!! If I gave my dogs more food everytime they nosed the food bin, I'd be the proud owner of three hippos!!!

Seriously though, if you see her start to get pudgy, just cut her back again. Lex was getting ribby (cold and playing more) so I upped her food too.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I see her gain a little chunk chunk I will back her food of some. I don't want to be the proud owner of a over weight dobe. :) Although I am sure I can give her another cup to two cups a day before I see any weight gain. The girl runs every where she goes. I mean every where. When you tell her to go lay down she runs to the livingroom. If you tell her to come she runs. She is always running. Is this normal? Lol.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My Sasha is like that--run run run! She can't move two inches over without trying to run it! She has always been on the thin side--not skinny, but just a little shy of "ideal". Darmok has always been a chunky gal. Even when she was 7 wks old, she had an enormous rib cage for a puppy. She would prefer to eat 24 - 7. I try to cut her back, but then she cries all night long, and gives those sad "you dont love me anymore" looks! I've been reading stuff about raw diets--what's the scoop there? Do you think it would help her shed a few pounds and not feel hungry? She weighed 83 lb last vet visit. Shasa weighs about 65 lb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts