Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the sake of curiousity, what do you all feed your dobes (or other dogs) and why.........

I feed Purina One Large Breed with a spot of oil (for her skin and coat)

When she was a pup she got Purina One pup large breed along with broiled hamburger and cottage cheese, I feed the extras because 1-it was good for her coat and digestion, 2- she was the pickiest darn pup I'd ever had!!!!

Anybody do the all natural diet?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kirklands chicken(I think its chicken anyway!). We fed pedigree for years and I finally switched. There is a great site on food here http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/
She said while kirklands isn't the best its the best for the price. The dogs are all doing great on it. I nevre imagined there could be such a difference.

Is purinas main ingredient meat? I thought it was corn. With the dobes susseptability to bloat it is best to stay far away from fillers. I think thre are some threads on purina here
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feed mine Kirkland's Lamd and Rice.. They were on Chicken, but I'm not sure if they changed something or not, but my pups just stopped eating it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not sure about Iams... I havent really heard good stuff... since I'm on a GSD forum, a few of them feed the BARF diet, The RAW diet(it might be the same, I'm not sure) and alot of them feed Holistic food.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi! I know of a person who shows American Pit Bull Terriers who feeds the BARF diet as well. I have heard nothing but good about it so maybe that would be a good one. Good Bye!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do they feed for the raw diet??? Just curious about it and how the dogs do on it...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geez there is a lot to that BARF diet.... But I feel that I could feed something more nutritional than my Purina One, especially after the comments about it. I think it is a perfectly decent food and certainly better than many, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that even if I do change foods for Lexus, my other two doodoo's will probably continue to eat One as it is better than what my Husband feed them before I was in the picture! But Lexy is my baby (of course!) and I want to do the absolute best for her.... I know I know I'm a bad stepmother!!! Guilty as charged I'm biased!

BuT I also work a full time odd hours job and there is so much into the BARF, what do you guys think??
What is, in your opinion the "top contenders" for most nutrional for a Dobe? Including any supplements? Is the chances for bloat lessened with the Barf diet? Also, they feed bones, I thought that was bad?

Thanks all!!!

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
My 2 year old girl also eats Purina One, I am certain that it is not the best food out there and I am currently looking into a few alternates.

I usually add a teaspoon of oil to her kibble to help her coat and it seems to work well to reduce any dandruff and give her a nice shiny coat.

From what I have read the RAW diet is the best you can give your dog, it makes sense. But like everyone else I dont have the time to committ to a RAW diet at this time. I may try in the future but right now I realize I would be setting myself up for failure.

RAW bones are fine for Dogs, it is after they are cooked that you do nto want to give them to the dog. Cooking them makes them brittle and more likely to splinter and I do believe the nutritional value is reduced after cooking.

For a treat I usually take a Kong and fill it with her Kibble and mix it up with Peanut Butter, I know PB isnt the most healthy food but she loves it. :D We all have our little bad habbits right, well so does she it's PB. :)

DA

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doberadmin said:
For a treat I usually take a Kong and fill it with her Kibble and mix it up with Peanut Butter, I know PB isnt the most healthy food but she loves it. :D We all have our little bad habbits right, well so does she it's PB. :)

DA

Awwwwh, she sounds like a doll!

:supergrin

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feed my two kong filled peanut butter kiddle and cheese, for when I have to work long hours. and they love it.

I cant feed the BARF diet... because I would BARF... I saw some one making it for their dogs..and I about lost my lunch...

I'm not an expert when it comes to dog food, in no way. I feed Kirkland because thats what Malachi's breeder told me to find him, and its reasonably priced too. a 45lb will is 17bones. Go to Costco.com, if you need a membership, let me know, I'm a member.. if you dont want to pay the 45bones for the membership, just PM me.

I know a few people who Feed Chicken Soup for the Canine.. or something like that... If you go to a grain store, they'll have a lot of healthy types of food. PetsMart and Petco... is over priced,and the workers dont really know what the f*ck they are talking about.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LCGSDmama said:
I feed my two kong filled peanut butter kiddle and cheese, for when I have to work long hours. and they love it.

I cant feed the BARF diet... because I would BARF... I saw some one making it for their dogs..and I about lost my lunch...

I'm not an expert when it comes to dog food, in no way. I feed Kirkland because thats what Malachi's breeder told me to find him, and its reasonably priced too. a 45lb will is 17bones. Go to Costco.com, if you need a membership, let me know, I'm a member.. if you dont want to pay the 45bones for the membership, just PM me.

I know a few people who Feed Chicken Soup for the Canine.. or something like that... If you go to a grain store, they'll have a lot of healthy types of food. PetsMart and Petco... is over priced,and the workers dont really know what the f*ck they are talking about.

I looked in the ingredients on the Purina One, ( I couldn't before didn't have a bag as I dump the food into a large container) it was chicken number one, but corn was either two or three....... I bought the Chicken soup one today, it had no corn at all, and I checked the ingredients to find a lot of meat, chicken, turkey, salmon, veggies, etc, at least a better product that the Purina One. I will look into the Kirtland next time I get to Costco also, I do have a membership, but really appreciate the offer!! :)

Do you think that I should supplement for a large breed dog in addition?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am by no means an expert on feeding... but suppliments dont hurt, I give Malachi Glucosamine500mg plus 500mg of MSM. for his joints. He has mild HD. I bought the human stuff at costco, its the same stuff of the doggie version, but cheaper, and you get more.

Every now and then, I give them a raw chicken leg, and they eat the whole thing, the vet said that this what OK, and it helps with a shiny coat. For dobermans, I was told putting an egg in their food, and some oatmeal will help with their coat.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LCGSDmama said:
I am by no means an expert on feeding... but suppliments dont hurt, I give Malachi Glucosamine500mg plus 500mg of MSM. for his joints. He has mild HD. I bought the human stuff at costco, its the same stuff of the doggie version, but cheaper, and you get more.

Every now and then, I give them a raw chicken leg, and they eat the whole thing, the vet said that this what OK, and it helps with a shiny coat. For dobermans, I was told putting an egg in their food, and some oatmeal will help with their coat.

I forgot about the egg thing, I used to do that for my old GS. So it really is okay to give a raw ( and the key is raw right) chicken leg to give a little boost, huh? She does have kinda flakey skin, so I'd like to try to get whatever is lacking into her diet to help with that.

THX!!! :eatchicke

·
Registered
73 Posts
All RAW bones are OK, its when bones get cooked that the problems start to happen..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So yet another question......I am eleven days into feeding (almost straight) Chicken soup food to lexus and the posse, now I know this is not the one and only sign of a good food, however I expected their stools to be smaller and harder by now, showing me that they are using more of the food rather than just passing fillers. I mean they never got loose stools at all with the new food, however, they do have larger stools more often now then they did with the Purina One. Now I did switch them quicker than what people tell you to, 1/4 new food for a few days, to 1/2 new food for about a week, to now about 1/4 old food since till I use it up. However my dogs just don't have sensitive tummys. I mean without a doubt the Chicken soup food was better by the ingredients than the One, but maybe their systems are still reacting to the new food? Ya think?

Good news though, the dander on Lexy has definetely gotten better. I have been giving her small portions of salmon, and raw chicken every three or so days for a boost in nutrients. ( and boy does she REALLY love mommy now....) :p

1 - 20 of 106 Posts