Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,176 Posts
Mr Desi,
Cooking the bones changes their texture and the break and splinter easier than raw bones that are, believe it or not, chewier and easier for the dog to digest and not as likely too cause injury. I shared your concern about the bacteria and such in raw food but from what I've gathered through much discussion and research is that basically a dog's gut is different than ours and they are able to handle those bacteria. But I still follow safety rules, I won't feed old raw meat, only fresh and I keep it in the fridge until they get it. The only problem we've had was with Pork, cooked or not, I think pork bones are too sharp (but others have fed it with great success) and Chi gets really runny poo when she eats it. She's had RAW pretty much her whole life (although on occassion she gets kibble) and Petri (my chihuahua mix) has just made the transition in the past few months with no problem. They love the food, their teeth and coats are awesome and if you really watch sales, raw can be quite a bit cheaper than super premium kibble :)
On a side note, both of them now remind me of my cat. When Yo hears the can opener he sprints to his feeding table. Of course, 9 times out of 10 I'm opening something for our own dinner :) I have to be very stealth if I get out a package of ground beef in this house now, both Chi and Petri have this radar. They think every package of meat in this house is theirs :)

· Registered
4,176 Posts
Here are two links that should help you out... One to BARF world (I love the name LOL) http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_faq.shtml lots of questions and answers here and a guideline on how much to feed.
The other is a link to the rawfeeding faq here at dobermantalk: http://www.dobermantalk.com/showthread.php?t=235

I don't really plan veggies or fruits into Chi's diet. But, she gets plenty of leafy greens and fruits daily when I share my snacks and such with her :) She LOVES apples and just the other day Mark gave her a potato just to see what she'd do... She ate it like it was prime rib LOL I give her ACV once a day too. I'm convinced it has had a big role in her skin and coat health. Additionaly, she gets garlic pills (which is why she stinks all the time, I'm sure of it!) but garlic is a natural flea and tick deterrent and since she had an allergic reaction to frontline, I've used nothing but garlic and haven't seen a single flea.
Just remember to introduce new meats slowly. And let me warn you, feeding time will never be the same again. A few of us around here have been known to take pictures of our dogs eating and "killing" their turkey wings just cause it's so neat and somewhat primal :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.