Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8,076 Posts
Hi there,

I feed my dog a raw frozen diet. I would not feed any bones cooked only raw. I am assuming the rabbit is boned and you are boiling it, I think rabbit is like chicken in that the bones are very brittle and could splinter easily.
This would be my only concern. :)

· Registered
8,076 Posts
If you are worried about raw meat then add some apple cider vinegar to it. This will kill any bacteria on beef, chicken and fish. A.C.V. will also preserve the meat when it is stored in the refrigerator.

A.C.V. contains potassium, phosphorus, chlorine, sodium, magnesium, calcium, sulfur, iron, fluorine, silicon, and trace minerals. It is great for dry itchy skin ! I add it right into Bandit's dinner. For a 50-75lb dog add 1 tablespoon

· Registered
8,076 Posts
If you are thinking of feeding raw, make sure it is balanced. You can't just give them meat. I now feed a frozen food to Bandit. www.homemade4life.com offered in the U.S. and Canada it is a little pricey so I am going to start making her food again. This site has alot of good info about feeding raw. Also each ingredient is explained-benefits. I have a great book called Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog - Wendy Volhard & Kerry Brown D.V.M. There is a really good homemade receipe if you need it let me know. I agree with Lexus, boiling robs the food of nutrients while raw is unaltered. :)

· Registered
8,076 Posts
I tend to stick with the large bones - like the leg or knee bones and this is more just for recreation. I'm sure people feed chicken necks, but I personally don't, they seem to small for my liking. I give bones 3-4 times a week.

Here is the receipe for a 75lb dog no need to add anything else this has been tested to be 100% complete :

Breakfast

4 oz Grain mix (dry)
1 tablespoon Safflower oil
300 mg Vitamin C
1.5 Egg small, 4 times a week
1 tablespoon Blackstrap molasses
300 IU Vitamin E
50 mg Vitamin B complex
1/2 cup yogurt or kefir

Grain mix - I use oatmeal, buckwheat, sometimes brown rice all cooked of course.
I also add digestive enzymes because Bandit is older also when you first start feeding raw I would add it also.
It seems like alot of ingredients but once you purchase them all it is pretty easy to make. I make enough up for a couple of days.
The meat is beef muscle meat. This will be labeled rump roast and chuck. Avoid any meat that is to fatty. Deboned chicken can also be used.
You can add vegetables to the cereal meal, steamed or put through the food processor.
On the 7th day feed the breakfast but add 2 Tablespoons of Honey
Honey contains protein, carbohydrates, iron, copper, manganese, silica, chlorine, calcium, potassium, sodium, phosphorus, aluminum and magnesium, plus vitamin B complex, Vitamins C, D and E. It is almost a complet food. Use honey in it's raw form only, heat processing kills the health giving enzymes it contains. Excellent for stressed dogs or when they won't eat.
No meat meal on the seven day (evening fast) again if you don't feel comfortable doing this, feed the meal.
Dinner
15 oz Meat (days 1-5)
18 oz Cottage cheese (day 6)
1.5 teaspoon Cod-liver oil
3/4 teaspoon Kelp
2 Garlic capsule (325 mg)
1.5 Tablespoon Wheat germ
1 Tablespoon dry herbs (optional)
3.4 oz liver (days 1-5)
300 mg Vitamin C
1.5 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
1.5 teaspoon Brewer's yeast
3.5 Tablespoon Bone meal
4.5 Tablespoon Wheat bran
Fruit 3 -4 times a week

Sorry this is so long, hope it helps - Good luck !

I forgot to add the Guaranteed Analysis:
Percentage is by dry weight
Protein- 34.7 %
Fat - 17.2 %
Carbohydrate (including fiber) 33.7 %
Ash (mineral content) 8.6 %
Linoleic acid 2.7 %
Calcium 1.8 %
Phosphorus 1.3 %
Calories per pound 2,172 (lot's of exercise is a must)

· Registered
8,076 Posts
I know it is alot of ingredients but it is 100% complete.
Grocery store:
Oatmeal, Safflower oil, eggs, Yogurt, Blackstrap molasses, meat, cottage cheese, liver, wheat germ, wheat bran, apple cider vinegar
The last 3 depends on the grocery store, in Ontario I buy the last 3 at the health food store. ACV should be in it's raw form and I think the grocery stores don't sell it that way. Kefir in case your wondering is similar to yogurt but far superior. it "contains the richest known source of enzymes which spark the function of digestive enzymes".
All other items I buy at the health food store.
Try to buy in bulk especially the meat, it is cheaper that way. I normally go to my local butcher and try and make a deal with him, plus he gives me the bones I want !
I would continue with Nupro because I think I remember reading in one of your posts that Princi is a bit stiff when rising. You will find that ACV will help with this also. :)

In regards to feeding both dry & raw my opinion is stick to one. Raw food passes through a dog's stomach and into the intestinal tract in 4.5 hours. Kibble takes up to 16 hours. Some people feed both but once you start feeding raw your dog might not want to eat kibble again. That's why you should think long and hard before switching over. It does take time, and you have to have the ingredients on hand. You have to make up the food every couple of days. Also, if you travel with your dog alot it is not super convienent, although they make the freeze dried stuff now.
It sounds like a few here feed raw and they could also give you some tips or maybe they have their own receipe that may be easier... :)

· Registered
8,076 Posts
Go very, very, slow. Start by giving 1/2 cup yogurt or kefir and a teaspoon of honey in the morning. No kibble. Feed her normal amount at night. I would do this for a couple of days, then start adding the cooked oatmeal to the morning meal at 1 ounce a day and increase a little at a time. This of course if she is not experiencing and diarrhea. Start adding the morning supplements and you could try an egg maybe by day 3.
On day 4 or 5 add a little raw meat to her kibble at night, reduce the kibble just a bit. Do this for a couple of days slowly adding a little more and reducing the kibble. If everything is going fine start adding the supplements for the evening meal. The whole process should take at least 14 days and of course that will depend on your dog. Some dogs do better with lightly cooking the meat at first. I also make sure the meat and kefir is at room temp. Good luck !

· Registered
8,076 Posts
I believe it is set-up that way because grains are cooked and digest at different rates than the meat meal. Each meal in it's self is 100% complete.
Yes you can make up a few days worth. I make up the grains in a big batch and then just warm them in the microwave.
Bandit will not eat the breakfast meal so I mix the meat in both meals. The book does say that some older dogs will not except the texture of the morning meal and therefore you can mix the two. :)

· Registered
8,076 Posts
Well for us that has also been an issue. I now put the gate up in the kitchen or put Bandit and the bone in the crate. And of course in the summer she gets it outside. Bandit will bring it on the carpet because it does not move around as much, therefore you might want to try putting a piece of carpet in the kitchen or wherever else you want him to eat it.

· Registered
8,076 Posts
Mr. Desi

I am glad Princi is loving it. Just keep an eye on his weight and adjust if you have to. Also do not leave any ingredient out of the mix. They are all there for a reason. I am sure you will start to see results within a month. You may find he has way more energy...remember to up his exercise a little, this food has more calories than the average kibble. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.