Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled on some rabbit at the local Korean Market and picked up two for Pinci. Its basicaly the whole rabbit but "cleaned and frozen", and each weighs about 2lbs. I do feed her peices of boiled meat mixed with her kibble. I want to know if I can boil the whole rabbit and just let her have it as dinner. Will it be too much meat all of a sudden? I want to do this once or twice a month just to switch things around.

Thanks.

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello there,

She does get boiled chicken with her kibble but I pull the meat off the bone for the same reason you stated. However, I boil all bones/meat before giving them to her, such as goat, lamb, beef, pork. The only bones she does not get is from chicken. So you think that the rabbit bone is like chicken bone? If so, then I will just pull the meat off.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Although I would like her to be able to work the meat off the bones.....oh well.

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot everyone. I am still not clear on why dogs should not be fed boiled bones. The only concern I have is some kind of desease from "raw" meat. I know it sounds funny but I am new to this but would love to learn and hopefully feed her raw soon.

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!! Great help everyone. Just few more questions.... ;-)

So any meats/bones are ok as long as they are raw?

Princi weighs about 78lbs and the rabbit is about 2lbs, and I feed her twice a day. How much do you guys suggest I feed her?

TracyJo--I will try different meats at a time to see how her stomach reacts to them. And take the necessary precautions.
okie-dobie--I will try the A.C.V

Thank you very much for the help.

okie-dokie--I would love the homemade recipe.

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Boy!! That does seem like a lot but I am willing to do whatever it takes for a healthy long life for princi.

Let me make sure I have got this correct.

Days 1-5 she gets breakfast and meat dinner
Day 6 she gets breakfast and cottage cheese dinner
Day 7 she gets breakfast only with 2 tablespoons of honey

The engridients you listed, can I find them at pet food stores or local supermarkets?

Also, currently I add Nupro joint support and salmon oil to her food twice daily. Should I continue to do this after I have started the raw diet?''

And this should be my last question: Can I combine the raw food with kibble or even alternate between raw diet and kibble diet?

Thanks once again.:)

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I will print this out and use it as a grocery list.:3dbiggrin

I don't mind preparing the food every couple of days, as I do some of that everyday right now (boil meat, cut it into peices and mix with kibble).

I do have a health store and butcher shop nearby so I will talk with them as well. Hopefully the cost will remain the same give or take a few bucks.

Should I do this gradually? And if so, how would you reccomend I do this?

I will give this a go as soon as I have acquired the "ingredients".

Thank you okie-dobie for the recipe.

All of you have been very informative and helpful.

Oh and TracyJo I am researching the links you provided, a lot good information...

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update

I went to the local health store and was able to get everything that was on the list that may not be at the local supermarket. I have left out items that I will have available at home like (rice, eggs, yogurt, meat). And since I am new at this, the () contain information that I read on the labels and thought I would share with you.

Here's the list:

Breakfast:

dry grain mix (oats, buckwheat)
safflower oil (unrefined)
vitamin C (powder)
blackstrap molasses (unsulphured)
vitamin E (natural liquid)
B complex
acidophilus yogurt

Dinner:

cod liver oil (Norwegian)
kelp
garlic capsules (aged garlic extract)
wheat germ (raw)
apple cider vinegar (raw-unfiltered)
brewer's yeast (unflavored-unsweetened-unfortified)
wheat bran (organic-unprocessed-coarse bran)
I will be picking up the bone meal on Friday....

:cool2:

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Princi just got the "breakfast", and she loved it. We'll see how dinner turns out.

And ofcourse, more questions ;-)

So I can pre-mix everything ahead of time for a few days at a time?

And also, just wondering why is it set up the way it is for "breakfast" and "dinner"?

Thanks

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great, well Princi loved the breakfast, and am about ready to give her the dinner. So far so good....:')

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Gave Princi the dinner and she loved it.....I am glad I got her started on this as it does look very healthy and I am the one controling what she gets and how much of it she gets, and its all fresh!!

Thank you okie-dobie and everyone else, your help is greatly appreciated.

Codysmom- Princi actually likes to be down and in one spot when she is working on her RMBs. I have designated an area rug where her food bowl and water is kept and she has to eat it there or she will not get it, so far she does exactly that, unless she has permission to eat it somewhere else.

Try to get him in the habbit of eating the RMBs in one spot that you have chosen and if he gets up and takes it with him just take it away and put it back in the same spot again and tell him to eat it there....repeat as necessary. I am sure he will learn that he can only have it if he stays there, then you can work on having him eat it in different spots that you approve of.

Good Luck

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Okie-dobie

Princi will sure use all of those extra calories. Oh and by the way Princi is short for Princess....'-)

I will definately keep everyone updated on her progress.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.