Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed by my breeder today that she feeds her puppies Fromm Family Classics adult dog food. She said that puppy foods for large breeds can cause puppies to grow too fast and cause skeletal issues. She gave me a scientific name that I can't recall. I have been so impressed with her to this point and I want to make sure this isn't out of line. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Some puppy food can give them issues you are talking about. A lot of us feed a large breed puppy food to keep this from happening. Also hear some people feed a all stage dog food. If you do a search on puppy food I am sure you will find more info then you ever wanted.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I think I would find something else right now.

It's an average food, the adult, but in the comments people are having problems with it, including deaths of pets. You should read the comments at the bottom of the review.

Fromm Family Classics Dog Food | Review and Rating

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess my question is, does the fact that my breeder will be feeding this adult food to her puppies make her less reputable?

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I guess my question is, does the fact that my breeder will be feeding this adult food to her puppies make her less reputable?
No. I know a very reputable breeder that just started her 4 month old puppy on a high quality adult dog food.

This breeder has found that their puppies have few incidences of pano when fed adult food vs puppy food.

Reactions: gunther_ms

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I wouldn't base whether a breeder is reputable or not on the food they feed.

Does she do the necessary health tests of the heart, hips, elbows, eyes, thyroid, vWD, liver panel?

Does she show in conformation and have titled dogs or put working titles or other sport titles on her dogs? Are the parents of the litter titled?

How long has she been showing or working? This is where the importance of a mentor comes in as when one first starts out there is so much they don't know just from lack of experience. Book learning only goes so far. A new breeder needs a mentor to bounce questions off of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It depends on what puppy food it is, always read the nutrients in the food. Stay away from the ones with excessive protein content.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
I meant to switch Fury over at 5 months and didn't. Now at 7 months I am dealing with pano. Feed puppy for a fee months then switch.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
Some of it might also depend on the individual puppy. I fed Leo an ALS food right from the start (got her at about 12 weeks), and still had bouts of pano.

Reactions: jywel417

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
NO.

I do not feed puppy food. I have raised all my litters on adult food and they do just fine. I know lots of breeders that do the same.

·
Spartacus
149 Posts
O.K. I know it's on here somewhere, but I've been unable to find it. I am switching my 5 1/2 month over from Bil Jak Lg Puppy Food to Wellness Lg Breed Dog food. Can someone help me out with the steps for making the change?
I started with his dinner last night by giving him 1 1/2 cups of Bil Jak and a 1/2 cup of Wellness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts