Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, the guide on the bag says to feed an 2-3 month old pup at 20-30 ibs 3.5- 4.5 cups a day but on the 12 month old pup it says 1.5- 2.5 cups a day, a cup being 8 oz?
but as they pup get older the amount should be less!

think the label is mixed up? and the 3.5- 4.5 should be fed to a pup at 12 months, and the 1.5-2.5 cups at 8 weeks?

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I don't even look at the feeding labels on dog food - every dog is different and large breeds are different than small breeds.

I would first ask your breeder what they feed. Generally, a puppy will increase the amount they eat up until 18 months to 2 years - then it will decrease with maturity.

As a guide, I am feeding my 14 week old puppy Annamaet Encore - she eats 1 1/2 cups in the am, 1 cup at lunch, and 1 1/2 cups at dinner - for a total of 4 cups a day of very high end kibble. I would expect a boy at the same age to maybe be eating 4 1/2 cups total from the same litter.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Growing puppies eat more than adult dogs, so I doubt the label is wrong. That said, it's just a starting place/guideline for feeding. I'd start with what the bag recommends, and then monitor your pup's body condition. What food are you feeding?

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else has said. I usually feed what's recommended on the bag and adjust it entirely at my own discretion for the duration of the dog's life. I don't even know what it says Violet should be eating. If I start being able to feel her ribs less readily, I back her food off by about a quarter of a cup, pick up her activity a little. If she seems unduly hungry or a little lean, I pick add about a quarter cup. Java's food says that he should be getting way less than he does, but again, I just feed him what he needs. When he starts looking lankier and leaner - up it a little. When he's mature, I'll know when it's time to back it down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts