Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, its me again. finally got my dobe a couple of weeks ago. my pup kalhua turn 5months last april 27. i brought him to the vet for his shots. we weight him and his current weight is 40lbs. i saw on a post somewhere that an average 5month pup should be around 50lbs (any truth to this?)

anyway, im currently feeding my dobe proplan purina as suggested by the breeder. i checked the chart online, aswell on the brochure given to me upon purchase of the dog food that i should feed a recommended daily feeding amount 168-224g for a 9.0- 22.5kg, 4-5month puppy

I started following the recommended amount and started with 250g of feeding, i noticed tho, that kahlua can consume the whole bowl in less than 5mins. i started increasing the amount and im currently feeding kahlua close to half a kilo portioned to 3x a day and he still finish his food in less than 5mins.

here is my inq.

1.) am i underfeeding my dog thats why he is under weight?
2.) im dividing the amount stated in the chart to 3x a day, did i understand it correctly or is that 224g x 3?
3.) is there any harm in increasing amount from recommendation by the packaging
4.) how much are your dobes consuming when they were 5 months

thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
every dog differs in their growth rate, I am feeding pro plan as well and at 10 months he can eat up to 7 cups a day depending on how much activity he has had. Odin ate really fast as well when I brought him home, but as the time went on he slowed way down when he realized he didn't have to fight for his food.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Congrats again on your boy....but where are the pictures I want to see him! ;)

I agree with the above, it can really vary depending on the dog and I would always do it by sight rather than what the packet says. Its easy for puppies to get over weight, my boy would also clear a bowl of biscuits very quickly.

Did the vet say anything about his weight? Can you see any of his ribs? A pic from the side and from above would help us be able to judge if he looks under/overweight.

If you do decide to up his food, just to it a little at a time as an increase in food can give him an upset tummy.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
An sign that your over feeding will be diareha in most situations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice. i decided to up the feeding in preparation for his 6months diet which i will be switching to 2x feeding instead of 3x

anyway, here it is some photos i took using my crappy bb camera :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i also have alfa...my 5 month old doberman....im in the philippines..pasay...yehey...find someone...loves dobie..too..

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Looks to me from those side pictures that he's a little overweight. I don't really go so much by the feeding directions on the bag of food (and I feed ProPlan as well) but I look at the dog--from above and the side and when they are playing in the yard--I increase their food a little if they are looking thin and reduce it if they are looking pudgy.

Even puppies should have a tuck up--and your boy is pretty much straight front to back on his underline--looks like the way the show European dogs--which is basically hog fat.

You are not going to make a puppy look like a mature dog by feeding them more and how much they eat in five minutes isn't really a good way to judge quantity to attain desired results.

Even though I do keep puppies a little fatter than I do grown dogs I think he's too heavy at this point.

And I'll add that my dogs are usually on two meals a day between four and five months.

Good luck--he's pretty cute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts