Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Loki is turning 6 months tomorrow and he has been an absolute pleasure. He is extremely healthy and happy as ever I just have a question regarding his feeding and how often he is going to the bathroom.
We are feeding Iams Large Puppy Breed provided from the breeder.. based off the feeding recommendations it says at 60lbs he should be getting around 6 cups.
It seems like a lot and he has been pooping a lot more then usual. Shouod I cut down on the food? Change kibble and go to something else? Open to a lot of suggestions! He is a growing boy obviously and I just want to make sure he’s getting enough nutrients!
This was him tonight at the park with his German Shepard best friend!
Thanks
Dog Sky Dog breed Carnivore Tree

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
At six months I would be changing what you feed to adult or an all life stages version of kibble

And the amount and weight recommendations on a bag of food are just a suggestion--different dogs metabolism's will need more or less--the way to determine that is to check the dogs weight on a vet clinic scale periodically--most vet clinics have a big scale in the waiting room and if you ask if you can bring your dog in to weigh him they generally are fine with that.

When he's at a weight where he looks good--ribs covered but easily felt, backbone covered, hips covered--take a really good look and look at him frequently to see if he looks a little thin or a little fat and adjust what your are feeding accordingly.

At six months my male puppies would generally be eating two cups of kibble per meal and eating two meals a day. If he gets a lot of exercise he may need more and there is always a point at about 10 months where my male pup's seem to need a lot more--but I've seen so many go through this that I just watch them to make sure they are getting enough food--it's some sort of a growth spurt and eventually they outgrow it and are back to the approximately 4 cups of kibble per day that my males get.

If he gets a lot of exercise it does often cause pups to poop more--but getting too much food also will cause this--so make sure you aren't just overfeeding because the bag said about half again more that a growing male needs.

Is he trying out for the softball team next week?

dobebug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At six months I would be changing what you feed to adult or an all life stages version of kibble

And the amount and weight recommendations on a bag of food are just a suggestion--different dogs metabolism's will need more or less--the way to determine that is to check the dogs weight on a vet clinic scale periodically--most vet clinics have a big scale in the waiting room and if you ask if you can bring your dog in to weigh him they generally are fine with that.

When he's at a weight where he looks good--ribs covered but easily felt, backbone covered, hips covered--take a really good look and look at him frequently to see if he looks a little thin or a little fat and adjust what your are feeding accordingly.

At six months my male puppies would generally be eating two cups of kibble per meal and eating two meals a day. If he gets a lot of exercise he may need more and there is always a point at about 10 months where my male pup's seem to need a lot more--but I've seen so many go through this that I just watch them to make sure they are getting enough food--it's some sort of a growth spurt and eventually they outgrow it and are back to the approximately 4 cups of kibble per day that my males get.

If he gets a lot of exercise it does often cause pups to poop more--but getting too much food also will cause this--so make sure you aren't just overfeeding because the bag said about half again more that a growing male needs.

Is he trying out for the softball team next week?

dobebug
He would love to get out on that field LOL. Thank you for the response. He does get a lot of exercise and seems to be at a good weight. I think I may be relying to much on the food recommendation label.

Do you have any suggestions with adult food I should gradually switch over to?

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Try Pro Plan.

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 4 of 4 Posts