Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new here. Nice to meet you all. I have a Red Doberman named Rose. She turned one year old on Friday. I feed her Purina One Large Breed. For anyone else who feeds dry dog food, what amount would you give a one year old? And how many times a day?

TIA

Julie

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi Julie A!
Welcome to DT! I think it's around 6 cups once a day now that she is a year old. Depending on how active she gets, and how her weight is.

·
Premium Member
10,884 Posts
Hi Julie A!
Welcome to DT! I think it's around 6 cups once a day now that she is a year old. Depending on how active she gets, and how her weight is.
Hi Julie,

I have to disagree here. Six cups a day for a year old bitch sound high to me. Even my 17 month old male (and males are notoriously harder to keep weight on than bitches between a year and two years) only is fed four cups of kibble a day--two cups each meal.

But the amount you need to feed will vary from dog to dog as different metabolisms have different needs.

It will vary from dog to dog and depend as well on what food you are using and how much exercise the particular dog gets.

I'd be inclined with a bitch to start at 1-1/2 to 2 cups per meal twice a day and adjust if she put weight on or lost weight. You should be able to easily "feel" ribs and see a shadow of the last couple of ribs and the dog should have an observable waistline.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I guess I am way out there. If I fed 4 cups a day I would have blimps. Copper (10yr) is 80lbs. (he gets 1 cup twice a day--nightly dog bones-not very big ones) (Tamora (1 year) is 65 lbs.)gets maybe 3/4 cup twice a day) I must say the food I feed is very Hi-grade, so there is probably little waste. Plus I do feed food for training plus meats, vegs (than the kibble becomes even less. It will be interesting to see with the nice weather here and more activity if that makes a difference.
Everyday I do the old eye-ball look-- Are we fat or thin today? More or less food today? Hubby and I do that for us too.
We are all in the same boat.

·
Registered
561 Posts
6 cups once a day? Wow, that sounds like a mountain of food.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
Hello,

I'm new here. Nice to meet you all. I have a Red Doberman named Rose. She turned one year old on Friday. I feed her Purina One Large Breed. For anyone else who feeds dry dog food, what amount would you give a one year old? And how many times a day?

TIA

Julie
Dobebug gave some good advice and I would agree with it. I'd also add that different kibbles will also make a difference in the amount you feed. Right now, you are feeding a low quality kibble and will probably need to feed more of it to keep your girl in good weight as it is loaded with fillers.

If you try switching her to a higher quality kibble, you may be able to feed a smaller amount for the same results weight wise. You can do a search on this forum for threads about what to feed and what a good quality kibble is..... AND where to find it.

I would also say that your bitch is at the age where they eat the most and still seem to be a tad thin .......... by the time they turn 2, the amount you feed them will most likely go down. Around 2 is the age some peoples Dobes start getting fat because they are still feeding them the same amount that they got at 1 year of age.

I feed my girls about 1 cup of Innova Evo two times a day plus I add a heaping spoonful of good quality canned food just to spoil them. The canned I feed is Evangers, Merrick, Abady........ and occasionally another brand.

Enjoy the forum - it is a good place to learn and enjoy this breed.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hello Julie and welcome,
I think it totally depends on the food you are feeding, the individual dog, and the amount of exercise the dog get's a day. Purina One probably does require a lot more food than say something like Canidie which is more nutrient dense and has more calories per cup. Julie you can use the search button, there is lot's of good info. on dog food. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I feed alot I guess. My 15 week olds eat 2 cups EACH, three times a day. (I think I actully use a 1/2 cp. measurer.)They may leave some left over, but I beleave and feeding them until they have had thier full. I think this may also help avoiding bloat in the long run, as they are not left still hungry. They tend to eat pretty slow because they know food here is always available to them. The only drawback is it makes house braking harder, As they are always going! We keep water down at all times as well.

I had to stop feeding raw while they had thier Elizabethen collars on. It was too messy and I worried about contamination. But they will start back on it today when they come home. They tend to eat less, because they are working for thier meals.

I would agree that less amounts can be fed of Higher Grade foods.

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
If you are worried about bloat there are specially designed bowls that make the dog take a longer time to eat, supposedly it reduces the risk of injury. Mandy, I'm a little concerned with feeding them until they are full. Do you limit their liquid intake?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi Julie...Purina's own recommendation for a 1-year-old dog between 51-75 lbs. is 3¼ to 4¼ cups of their food per day. Use that as your base and adjust up or down as needed, depending on Tia's appetite and activity level.

Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My 17 month old bitch eats 3 cups of Pro Plan Chicken & Rice a day, 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. I have had young dobermans eat up to 6cups a day in their "teenage" years and super active, but it's normally quite a lot. Also comparing how many cups of kibble between dogs is like comparing apples and oranges unless they are all on the same kibble. Kibble size makes a difference in how much weight is in a measured cup, and the calories are different in all the different brands. The only way to judge how much YOUR dog should be eating is by their own weight and condition.

·
Extraordimary
4,985 Posts
I feed alot I guess. My 15 week olds eat 2 cups EACH, three times a day. (I think I actully use a 1/2 cp. measurer.)They may leave some left over, but I beleave and feeding them until they have had thier full. I think this may also help avoiding bloat in the long run, as they are not left still hungry.
The ONLY dog I ever raised free feeding is the one that bloated and was euthanized as a result.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hello and welcome to the best Dobie forum online ;)

Bruno is on Medi Cal Hyperallergenic. Our vet recommends that he eats 5 cups a day. I thitnk it pretyt much would very on the TYPE of food you have your dog on. If it's a filler food, they'll be more hungry. If it's a nice hardy food, they most likey won't need a whole lot.

Bruno gets 2 cups in the morning, one cup for lunch and two cups for dinner. But most days it's just 4 cups, he chooses not to eat his breakfast or dinner and will have some left.

5 cups is also what it says on the bag for his size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all so much. And to think, I thought I was giving her a good food. I guess I need to start searching for a better food and where to buy it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Thank you all so much. And to think, I thought I was giving her a good food. I guess I need to start searching for a better food and where to buy it.

Thanks again.
Don't worry, we've all been at that stage at some point in our lives!

I personally love Eagle Pack, and feed Lex (3 years old now) about a cup to a cup and a half twice a day, depending on her activity level. My smaller dogs, a 50 lb aussie and a 40 lb boxer/mutt mix, get just a little over half a cup twice a day each. It's really something how much less food (and how much less yard pickup) you have when you feed a higher quality food. It really works itself out, you spend a little more on a good food, but you feed less. Not to mention, your pooch will be healthier for it too.

Generally you will need to visit a pet store to find some better foods, they really don't carry them at Walmart, or a grocery store.

·
Registered
953 Posts

Thanks again.
I had the same problem when I got Bruno. I was feeding him Eukanuba, thinking it was this excellent food (because the commerical's and advertisments said so lol). But after getting feed back from some of the members here and talking to my vet. I soon found out that it wasn't that great. I mean, I doubt it's harmful if you feed your dog these foods, but like Lex said. In the long run you will be thankful. Because the mess they make in the yard compaired to the better quality is a HUGE difference. Plus the amount you feed. I never understood about the fillers and all that. Until I got here.

But there are plenty of other foods you can check out at your local pet store and see which is best for you and your Dobie. Some that were recommended for me were Wellness, Eagle Pack, Nutro and there was another. I just can't remember LOL. But anyway, Good luck with getting the perfect one that works for you pup.

Bruno is now on special food because turns out he is actually Allergic to other foods LOL (I believe it's the wheat and grain, but I'm not 100% sure).

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you are worried about bloat there are specially designed bowls that make the dog take a longer time to eat, supposedly it reduces the risk of injury. Mandy, I'm a little concerned with feeding them until they are full. Do you limit their liquid intake?
They have raised bowls, if thats what you are talking about. Hmm, I never knew free feeding was a concern. I do not limit thier water intake eaither. The puppies don't seem to over eat, They a little at a time and walk away. They have not emptied it as of this far. When I did feed less they had it empty and were looking for more, and then next feeding they were gulping down without chewing and would again have it gone in seconds. THAT behavior concerned me.

I know free feeding would not work for most adults, but I beleave it works for me, as I start when they are little. I have never really had a food motivated dog, and really don't want one. I'm trying to train the puppies with toy/praise reward rather then food. They do get Marrow bones for treats. I have had them on RAW for about 3 weeks, they have gone off it a bit since they have been at the vets though. But Kibble won't be a problem eaither way now. I just wanted you to understand free feeding works for us. None of my dogs are overweight, and the puppies have energy PLUS! They don't stop moving...ever! The vet commented on how hyper they were. So, I figure that has something to do with thier intake as well.

Reactions: Riagogogo

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
They don't stop moving...ever! The vet commented on how hyper they were. So, I figure that has something to do with thier intake as well.
Just wanted to comment, although this is probably not quite what you meant, you don't want a hyper puppy, active and playful is one thing, hyper is quite a different thing. At three months, I would never have considered Lexus hyper, she was playful and happy, and always in motion, but also could "turn it off" when it was appropriate.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
They have raised bowls, if thats what you are talking about. Hmm, I never knew free feeding was a concern. I do not limit thier water intake eaither. The puppies don't seem to over eat, They a little at a time and walk away. They have not emptied it as of this far. When I did feed less they had it empty and were looking for more, and then next feeding they were gulping down without chewing and would again have it gone in seconds. THAT behavior concerned me.

I know free feeding would not work for most adults, but I beleave it works for me, as I start when they are little. I have never really had a food motivated dog, and really don't want one. I'm trying to train the puppies with toy/praise reward rather then food. They do get Marrow bones for treats. I have had them on RAW for about 3 weeks, they have gone off it a bit since they have been at the vets though. But Kibble won't be a problem eaither way now. I just wanted you to understand free feeding works for us. None of my dogs are overweight, and the puppies have energy PLUS! They don't stop moving...ever! The vet commented on how hyper they were. So, I figure that has something to do with thier intake as well.

Werent you wanting to do sports with them? You DO want them food motivated for that. Ziris is a chow hound, but even she is so easily distracted that she is only eating her food on a track right now. The more food drive, the better........for training purposes.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts