Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone :)

Bruno will be 20 weeks old on Saturday, and I have a question about feeding and poops which hopefully someone here can help with.
FYI, his worming is up to date and he his due another worming dose on Saturday.
More FYI - He gets about 25mins exercise a day where he will walk along beside us and spend time chasing our lab at full pelt, so he's normally quite burnt out after this.

He is feeding on Acana Grasslands just now. The only realy gauge of how much to feed him has been based on reading what Royal Canin's guidelines are, calculating the calorific input and working out how much Acana that corresponds to. He's always ate a little more than the guidelines with no problem.

Anyway, as a rough figure, he looks to be needing to consume around 2000kcal per day, which works out roughly to 180g at each meal (3 times a day).

He looks to be in good health - nice & slender, though perhaps a little on the skinny side. I do mean a little, but I believe this to be ok as it's better to err on the side of definitely not overfeeding.

His first poop of the day is of a good consistency. It's firm & won't fall apart, a good colour, and what seems like an ok amount.

His afternoon poop (between 12 and 2pm normally - sometimes as early as 11am, somtimes as late as 3pm), however, is definitely not as solid. Most times, he does a fairly normal poop and then straight after does a sloppy poop (i.e. like brown slush).

And then his evening poop (around his 10pm bedtime or earlier like 8pm) is quite a sloppy affair also.

Can anyone advise on this please?

I'm thinking different things:
Maybe I should switch now to 2 meals a day to allow him more time to digest food before feeding him more?
Or cut his exercise down slightly?
Or reduce his food?

Any help would be absolutely fantastic :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Acana is a 5 star dog food, so what your using is real good. Dry Dog Food Reviews | View All | Dog Food Advisor

My girl poops 1-2x per day, and is free feed a 4 star rated brand...and has consistent stools, almost all the time.
Seems like Bruno has more frequent poops / but my gut feel, it is not because he is feed 3x per day.
Since he is slightly underweight, I would not reduce his 2000 cal/day either.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Try cutting back, same amount of food, to two meals a day and see if that helps. Twice a day should be enough at 5 months.

·
Super Moderator
21,990 Posts
Often overfeeding causes loose stool in pups.

Have you had a full fecal run? Things like giardia are notoriously difficult to diagnose.

If it's not overfeeding or some kind of parasite, it's possible he just doesn't do well on Acana.

Reactions: LindaH and Sage

·
Registered
687 Posts
You did not state if he consumes anything else, like treats or other supplements, but if he does I would stop everything else until you get consistently good quality poops. I would use his kibble as his treat and not let him consume anything but kibble and water. Sometimes treats and supplements can cause digestive issues which makes it difficult to tell what is really going on.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
The yellow lab we used to babysit had digestive issues whenever he changed food. In the end they started mixing about a cup of cooked rice with his daily amount of kibble.

I don't know if it's recommended for dogs elsewhere, but it's part of the RAB or BRAT diet for people with the runs so it works on humans too.

I'd double check that his health is good before I started working on a symptom. You don't want to fix the runs and find out he had serious issues that got missed.
Kate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts