Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! We have been posting our Ivy’s ears for about a month using the back rod method. I’m worried that her ears are tilting more inwards as opposed to standing straight up. I am attaching a picture where she is alert. Is this caused by pockets forming? Is there a way to ensure her taped ears are standing erect? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,068 Posts
It does look like she may have some pockets--I would start using a bumper on each ear when I post just in case.

See the explanation about bumpers here (starting about 1/2 way through the demo with the picture of the puppy)
How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

But I'm looking at the area where her ears join the top of her head. It looks like you may be flattening out the natural fold that occurs there and wrapping it forward around the post when you tape? That part of the ear should be allowed to fold back naturally and taped that way.

It's a bit hard to see, but look at the area that is circled here and the way the front edge of the ear folds backwards a little.

If you fold that bit back when you tape, it should help her ears to stand properly too.

·
Big Lil pup
6,760 Posts
Good catch mel...

@ heyab
The demo melbrod posted the link to also shows the correct way to tape the "natural fold" she is taking about.

BTW, Ivy's pretty darn cute!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts