Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uptaped Gunner's ears today...they look better as far as the pockets are concerned. They flopped after about an hour (had to leave them down to dry out) but since he's teething, I shouldn't be worried about that right? How do you guys think they look? They obviously still need to be posted, but do you see any issues I need to work on? He's 5 months...shouldn't be worried that they aren't standing long term yet right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm no help with the posting since i only did it once and i got lucky and it went so quick and easy...But i really love your dog he's so dang cute :respect2:

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I've been fortunate that by 5 months mine were almost standing with both dogs that had long show crops. I taped through six months just to be sure. I'd have them down for about a week at a time at that age.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm no help with the posting since i only did it once and i got lucky and it went so quick and easy...But i really love your dog he's so dang cute :respect2:
Lol thanks! He's such a clown. I was holding up a cookie to get him to sit still and you can almost see him pleading with me to just give it to him already :p

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,903 Posts
Make extra sure you stretch them up (gently but firmly) against the post and tape them before you let go of them. That should take away any tendency they might have to sag. They're coming along--and he is a cutie.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you guys see any pockets or does it look like they are gone? They will stand perfectly when I first untape them, but droop pretty quickly. However, they aren't leaning in anymore which makes me pretty sure the pockets are gone. Can you tell from this pic?

·
Registered
537 Posts
They kind of look scrunched down, where the natural fold starts at the head, but then again, the position looks good.

Try not to over think it...if you hear hooves, think horses not zebras.

I keep seeing tape, then bracing, then bridging, then vet wrap, probably a couple of magazines underneath the 14 layers of tape...who knows.

The stretching part, as was said, is about the most important part. If the ears are stretched and angled out, hanging at somewhere around 10 & 2, it would be impossible to develop pockets.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
:cheeseygrin: I'm no help either but that picture put a SMILE on my face !!!!!!!!! What a sweetie and the look on his face is priceless.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They kind of look scrunched down, where the natural fold starts at the head, but then again, the position looks good.

Try not to over think it...if you hear hooves, think horses not zebras.

I keep seeing tape, then bracing, then bridging, then vet wrap, probably a couple of magazines underneath the 14 layers of tape...who knows.

The stretching part, as was said, is about the most important part. If the ears are stretched and angled out, hanging at somewhere around 10 & 2, it would be impossible to develop pockets.
You're right...we've used about every method available because he's so difficult. He shakes his head like crazy and we've had a time trying to figure out what will stay on. Then he developed the pockets, hence the backer rod and vet wrap. They start out standing tall and straight but then do fall a bit as they are left untaped. I got some surgical adhesive today so I'll be using that to help keep the ears up and from falling down from the post. No matter how well I tape them, the shaking and rough play always loosens it up to where it's not as high and tight as I would like. I've not used a bridge at all since the pockets developed, and that's helped a ton so thanks for that tip :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
You're right...we've used about every method available because he's so difficult. He shakes his head like crazy and we've had a time trying to figure out what will stay on. Then he developed the pockets, hence the backer rod and vet wrap. They start out standing tall and straight but then do fall a bit as they are left untaped. I got some surgical adhesive today so I'll be using that to help keep the ears up and from falling down from the post. No matter how well I tape them, the shaking and rough play always loosens it up to where it's not as high and tight as I would like. I've not used a bridge at all since the pockets developed, and that's helped a ton so thanks for that tip :)
Wow, I have an almost full bottle of torbot I could have mailed to you, I don't need it anymore.

The glue is def. a strong bond, but a pain to clean. And by pain, I mean using some de solv it to release and remove the adhesive, then cleaning the de solv it off the ears, then using some alcohol wipes to get rid of any residual oils, then using the cornstarch powder to absorb any excess moisture/oils and bleh on that. Too much work.

With just the tape, a quick swipe of the alcohol wipes, some q tips to clean out any remaining wax buildup, little cornstarch powder and I was done.

But if you do not mind spending the extra minutes on cleaning the glue off, it will def. help with keeping the posts in.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Olivia,

If they are standing nice and tall when you first take them down, just keep on trucking and posting. They will be fine. Like was already mentioned here, stretch them to the ceiling so you will eliminate pockets. I like to tape the tip first and then the base. The back wrapped post holds that ear in place pretty well. I don't over-use tape.

Taylor goes four or five days and then the ear starts relaxing and I wrap them again for maybe another three days.

Also, if he throws his head a lot, have you tried not pushing the post into the ear? You might need to brace it but I used to post Joe's ears without going into the ear. Joe had a small opening in his ear and within three minutes he would sling his head and out it would pop. Course I was probably afraid of pushing too much in. Now I really push it into Taylor's ears.

Gunner is a sweet heart.

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
The results of the posting look fine, but the crop itself isn't very good. And I would never leave the ears down for an hour and let the ears soften and fall before posting again.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The results of the posting look fine, but the crop itself isn't very good. And I would never leave the ears down for an hour and let the ears soften and fall before posting again.
Cartilage can do that? In only an hour?

So why does it take several months for it to harden?

:iamwithst

There is nothing wrong with that crop. The dogs ears in your avatar look like silly rabbit ears, but as long as you are happy with them, who cares.

Thats just pure classless and tasteless ridiculousness, Julie.

Tisk, Tisk.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Cartilage can do that? In only an hour?

So why does it take several months for it to harden?

:iamwithst

There is nothing wrong with that crop. The dogs ears in your avatar look like silly rabbit ears, but as long as you are happy with them, who cares.

Thats just pure classless and tasteless ridiculousness, Julie.

Tisk, Tisk.
When was the last time you saw a rabbit? That's pure classless and tasteless ridiculousness, TheStig.

·
Registered
537 Posts
When was the last time you saw a rabbit? That's pure classless and tasteless ridiculousness, TheStig.
Oops, meant to put "what if the ears...

Julies doggy pic has nice ears, I was just using an example.

She is also 10 years old, judging by the remarks she constantly leaves while giving me negative rep.

People shouldn't openly criticize another dogs crop, no matter how bad they think it might look, especially if they aren't even asked. Not to mention...the ears softening after an hour?

That made me COL (chuckle out loud).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I didn't ask for opinions on whether you like his crop or not. I had no control over it as I didn't pick the vet who did it, and it was done before I rescued him. I'm trying to make the best of it by making sure the ears stand properly. I do agree that it's not the best though and wish I had been able to pick someone who was more artistic. Oh well...what's done is done.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
My two both played very rough when they were going through posting I never had a problem with the posts coming out or loosening in the ear. It tells me that you are probably not putting the post far enough down in the canal.

I hope your backer rod is strengthened with tape. I find some people that use this method the backer rod tends to bend with lots of play. I tried it and that's what I found. For both my two I ended up using the tampon method.

I would not leave the ears down that long, if they are drooping by the time you are retaping that's not good. Take them down, clean them, and back up again. This would mean that they would be down for about 15-20 minutes. You set his ears back by allowing them to flop.

It looks to me like the pockets are not there however it's kinda hard to tell by that picture. Good luck and keep up the hard work! ;)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My two both played very rough when they were going through posting I never had a problem with the posts coming out or loosening in the ear. It tells me that you are probably not putting the post far enough down in the canal.

I hope your backer rod is strengthened with tape. I find some people that use this method the backer rod tends to bend with lots of play. I tried it and that's what I found. For both my two I ended up using the tampon method.

I would not leave the ears down that long, if they are drooping by the time you are retaping that's not good. Take them down, clean them, and back up again. This would mean that they would be down for about 15-20 minutes. You set his ears back by allowing them to flop.

It looks to me like the pockets are not there however it's kinda hard to tell by that picture. Good luck and keep up the hard work! ;)
Thanks! The posts aren't coming out of his ear canal...the tape comes loose and the whole wrap goes flying when he shakes his head. I used adhesive last night, and so far so good. :) I usually don't leave the ears down that long, but they were dirty and I washed them really good and wanted to let them air dry for awhle. I won't do it again though....I'll untape and tape right back. I'm ready to be done with this! ;)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Olivia, when you take them down, are you immediately putting them back up (if you wrote this and I missed it, sorry)?? If not, take then down, clean the ears good and put them immediately back up - dont leave them down. Stretch, stretch them and by the way I am seeing, its hard from the way he is positioned, but looks like he still may have a little bit of a pocket.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts