Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From FDA report

"...Specifically, no microbiological analysis is conducted or there is no assurance that incoming animal fat will not introduce pathogens into their production and cause contamination of finished product. Also, the firm’s current sampling procedure for animal digest does preclude potential for adulteration after sampling and during storage in warehouse...

...firm utilizes cardboard, duct tape, and other non cleanable surfaces on equipment. These materials were observed to have residues adhering. The foam gaskets around access doors to the bucket elevators were observed in deteriorating condition and exhibited an accumulation of feed residues and dust.

Failure to provide hand washing and hand sanitizing facilities at each location in the plant where needed.

Specifically, there are no facilities for hand washing or hand sanitizing in the production areas where there is direct contact with exposed finished feed/food."

Susan Thixton comment, "Per the ingredient statements of every pet food recalled made at this Diamond South Carolina plant, neither of these ingredients are listed in the ingredient panel (at least my search of each brand did not find any). Not one cat food or dog food has the ingredients animal fat or animal digest listed."

For the rest of the story...The Plot Thickens, Clues to Big Issues

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Oh, well that's just great. I've also heard that this plant was already running again as of April 30. Thanks for linking to the info!

EW! I'm glad I switched, though am hoping TOTW does change packaging plants so I can go back to them.
I would be happy if this occurred as well! Who knows if they'll even announce it if they do; I haven't seen any word from TOTW itself (now I'll look, to make sure I didn't miss it).

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
When I read that article what bothers me so much is the added ingredient, animal fat, that's not listed and could be from euthanized animals--if I was reading correctly.

I tried to check truthaboutpetfood.com to see how they felt about Orijen/Acana by Champion and really couldn't find much.

Thanks for the post.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
Oh, wow. The unlisted ingredients thing REALLY bothers me.

I switched the dogs cold turkey to Orijen a couple of days ago. They had no trouble with the switch and I'm really glad I did.

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
I was going to stick with TOTW until I read this post. I'm trying out Nature's Variety Prairie since I already feed Ivan their raw.
I'd personally recommend Instinct over Prairie. Prairie is not grain free.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I agree with you, but Ivan as a puppy had the runs on the high protein foods I initially fed him, which is why I'm leary of Instinct. He's 11 months old now. Do you think he'd be able to bettle handle the high protein? Or is it if a dog can't handle high protein as a puppy he most likely wont' be able to as an adult either?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
When I read that article what bothers me so much is the added ingredient, animal fat, that's not listed and could be from euthanized animals--if I was reading correctly.

I tried to check truthaboutpetfood.com to see how they felt about Orijen/Acana by Champion and really couldn't find much.

Thanks for the post.
Yep, you read correctly, road kill, euthanized animals from dog pounds and veterinary offices, downer animals(animals that can't walk to be slaughtered).

Susan offers a listing on foods called Persumer Report.
Petsumer Report

Your welcome...I found it hard to believe what I was reading...I really did!!!

Oh, wow. The unlisted ingredients thing REALLY bothers me.

I switched the dogs cold turkey to Orijen a couple of days ago. They had no trouble with the switch and I'm really glad I did.
Really bothered me, too!!!

Besides feeding a balanced raw or dehydrated diet, I don't think one can do better than Orijen.

I agree with you, but Ivan as a puppy had the runs on the high protein foods I initially fed him, which is why I'm leary of Instinct. He's 11 months old now. Do you think he'd be able to bettle handle the high protein? Or is it if a dog can't handle high protein as a puppy he most likely wont' be able to as an adult either?
The only way to know is to buy a small bag and give it a try. Instinct is a pretty good food that a lot of sensitive tummy and allergy dogs do well on. I do occasionally feed the Prairie Venison, myself, tho. It is the only way I can get the venison to rotate and Parker does well on it. Grains are not a part of a dog's normal diet, but there are a some good things about them, too, imo, anyway. I mean they are not horrible and do have good vitamins, etc. in them. More meat is definitely better, but I am not totally anti-grain, either.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Besides feeding a balanced raw or dehydrated diet, I don't think one can do better than Orijen.
I wish we could get Orijen around here but to have it shipped would mean about $100 or more a month on dog food and my DH would go through the roof.

ETA: I don't know what dog food I'm going to feed now.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I wish we could get Orijen around here but to have it shipped would mean about $100 or more a month on dog food and my DH would go through the roof.

ETA: I don't know what dog food I'm going to feed now.
Fetch orijen - Free Shipping at MrChewy.com

Just wanted to share, Mr. Chewy has great prices tax free and shipping free (considering most orijen is over $49.99). They also carry all of the Acana too. I almost always order from them and save money versus buying other less quality brands around town.

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
Mr Chewy is awesome and it's free shipping on orders over $50, so you could get Orijen shipping to you for about what I pay in the store, hjgirl. I use Mr. Chewy for my cat's prescription diet and I'm really happy with them.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks!

I think I may go to one of the Acana formulas instead of Orijen just b/c I like Acana's Pacifica formula and their LID formulas with the Lamb and Apple.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts