Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLEARCREEK TWP. — A 16-month-old Warren County boy is recovering from multiple bite wounds to the head after the family Doberman pinscher attacked Wednesday morning.

Emergency personnel were called just after 8:30 a.m. to a home in the 2700 block of Harlen Road, township police Sgt. William Fritz said.

The toddler's injuries appeared severe at first, so a medical heli copter took him to Children's Medical Center in Dayton, Ohio.

However, Alec Olson was in good condition at the hospital Wednesday afternoon and was expected to be released today.

His mother, Constance Olson, was home at the time and called 911.

A dispatcher said there had been no previous calls of any kind at the Olson home.

The 6-year-old male dog, one of two Dobermans the family owns, was being held at the county animal shelter.

The family's female Doberman apparently wasn't involved in the attack, Sgt. Fritz said.

He said he didn't have details of how the attack occurred, and said police did not plan to file charges.

Dog Warden Nathan Harper said the dog would remain in the shelter for a 10-day quarantine period, then the family would decide its future.

The Humane Society of the United States says about 4.7 million people are bitten annually.

Children are the most common victims of severe attacks.
:mad:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Deepest regrets, however the child should have never been unattended around the dogs. Especially so young a child. At that age they are yanking ears or grabbing noses, or even just grabbing the dog's toys. A bite is without a doubt unacceptable no matter the circumstances, however it could have been prevented. Even if the parents were present, as it doesn't say, they would have noticed a change in the animal's behaviour before the bite if they had been paying attention.

Thank God the child is going to be okay though. My concerns for the dog now.....

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get so tired of hearing about these little kids getting attacked the owner of the dog needs to use common sense thats really what it comes down to

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
I think I would really need more details of the incident before making any kind of decision about this story. The only thing I know for sure is that a kid is hurt and the Doberman has another strike against the breed. :(

TD

·
Registered
281 Posts
That is an awfull incident.. and children sadly take the brunt of them ..
flailing arms, jerky movements and squealing voices, curious tugs at ears and tails can be unsettling to a dog and the dog knowing it is the more dominant out of the two often ends in the child becoming the victim if they are left alone..
Theres not enough details in the story to see who is at fault.. but alot of stories like this one the children have been left alone with a large powerfull dog and the parents wonder why there child has just been bitten..

..i love harvey and he has never shown any aggression but i still will never leave him alone with any child ~ i would feel the same whatever the breed. Its sad news for the family and and bad news for the Doberman Breed .

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
TakirasDad said:
I think I would really need more details of the incident before making any kind of decision about this story. The only thing I know for sure is that a kid is hurt and the Doberman has another strike against the breed. :(

TD
Exactly. No where in the story does it say if the child was alone with dog or what the circumstances were.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
You know what a real shame is too, You don't often see "Child is Bit by Family's Pomeranian" Or lab, or mutt, whatever, you don't usually see bit by Family Dog or whatnot. But when it is a doberman or a pitt, it makes news and and is breed specific and damages the breed as a whole....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts