Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you do when your female has a false pregnancy and she will be shown in 30 days?

Asha got boobies and her tuck-up doesn't look good. She gained a bit weight. I have to keep her on diet. Poor girl...

No nesting or looking for "babies". Her behaviour is totall normal.

The most recent conformation class. Her tuck-up changed a lot... look at the red line... before and after

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I would not worry about it that much - she does not look bad at all. I've never had a false pregnancy, so I'm not much help with what to do to get them past it faster.

Reactions: DreamValley

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What do you do when your female has a false pregnancy and she will be shown in 30 days?

Asha got boobies and her tuck-up doesn't look good. She gained a bit weight. I have to keep her on diet. Poor girl...

No nesting or looking for "babies". Her behaviour is totall normal.

The most recent conformation class. Her tuck-up changed a lot... look at the red line... before and after

False pregnancy is a pain in the butt, but the good thing is they usually only last a week or two....perhaps by the time you show, she will be pretty much back to normal...The only good thing about FP's is if they have one it is usually a sign they ovulated at the last heat...so you know at least she is fertile...Just some bitches have it worse than others, and some don't have any at all...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
That's what Avril's tuck up normally looks like, so I'm a little jealous :p

I'm not sure how much help it is after the have started the false pregnancy, but about a week before Avril comes into heat, I put parsley in her food. Usually keep up with it until about 8 or 9 weeks after she's out of season. It doesn't work 100% but it helps a ton with her. You can also put a wet towel or ice on their belly before they show and they will tighten it up a little.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Following Maiya's first heat she was in a false pregnancy for a long time (much longer than 30 days). When she went into season the 2nd time, I started feeding her a lower protein kibble as suggested by other DTs. I fed her Solid Gold Holistique. She didn't have a false pregnancy that time - at least not as long or obvious as the first one.

You could try feeding her a lower protein kibble now to see if it helps.

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Will parsley help if I add it to her food now? She had her first heat 2 months ago.

I feed her raw. Her sister is fed kibble and she is lactating... Asha doesn't have any discharge.
I may add more fiber... like oatmeal to her food. Does it make sense?

Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Ypu do not want to add fiber or more protein with a dog that is having a false pregnancy. Just like when you are trying to drup up a bitch you cut back of food and add Parsley. Parsley does helps dry up the milk - as stated previously

She does not look to me like she is having a false preg and her tuck up looks about the same as other pictures you have posted of her. A false preg usually is triggered by a heat cycle - has she just had a heat cycle???

·
Registered
884 Posts
Will parsley help if I add it to her food now? She had her first heat 2 months ago.

I feed her raw. Her sister is fed kibble and she is lactating... Asha doesn't have any discharge.
I may add more fiber... like oatmeal to her food. Does it make sense?

Thank you for your help :)
Is her sister on a lower protein kibble? Maiya's normal kibble has a protein percentage of 26%. The Solid Gold Holistique is 18%.

I'm just curious because I recently purchased a large bag of Holistique since Maiya will be going into heat again soon and I'm hoping it will help again.

Hope you find something that helps.

btw. I just checked and she was still in her FP a little more than 79 days after she came out of heat. Evidently, that is on the longer side of "normal".

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ypu do not want to add fiber or more protein with a dog that is having a false pregnancy. Just like when you are trying to drup up a bitch you cut back of food and add Parsley. Parsley does helps dry up the milk - as stated previously

She does not look to me like she is having a false preg and her tuck up looks about the same as other pictures you have posted of her. A false preg usually is triggered by a heat cycle - has she just had a heat cycle???
She had her heat 2 months ago.

Here is the picture taken 2 weeks ago. Her nipples were already firm but boobies were not so swollen yet.

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will add parsley. It's a great source of vitamins too :)
How much parsley should I add? I will use fresh leaves.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
She doesn't look bad to me, but Bubbles would actually come into milk and nurse all he stuffed babies she could find and gather :=) Dolce, same thing. So her "fake babies" would be due in a week then? I would cut her food way back and then boil parsley, and use the water on their food as well. (I'm Irish, we boil everything :)

You can also try pulsatilla which you can get at any healthfood store. Some swear by it but i didn't see that it helped really.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
This is what my handler used. Next time give the day she starts her cycle until she'd wean puppies also.

For proportions I have been using 2 large stalks of celery, 3 or 4 bunches of parsley and a clove of garlic. Since it is going through the processor, you don't have to peel that tight skin off of the garlic. I just take that paper stuff off of the outside and break it up and throw it in there. After you have chopped it all up, stir it up good to have it mixed evenly.
Feed a heaping tablespoon full in each meal. Also give to her Vitamin B complex from a good company, such as TwinLabs. I think that the B-6 and the B12 are diuretics. The parsley has it's properties (dries up) and it all acts as a diuretic.

Edited to add - I don't think she looked bad either. Flirt used to get milk and her stomach literally DROPPED. We'd hold ice on it and when you removed your hand and the ice, the tumy would FLOP down. She still got points that way (boy is that picture awful hehe!)

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am off to buy parsley and celery :)
Do you use it raw? Thanks Adara.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
As soon as I knew Jordan was coming into season, I would start her on the Parsley. She would then be on it through her heat, through the "pregnancy" and when she would "whelp" her phantom babies and then "wean" them! :) She would still have a bit of a pot gut but she certainly was not as bagged up like she did the first time before using the Parsley. I know a number of people who just keep their bitches on Parsley all the time.

Now here's a little side note about my ordering Parsley online. I'm not sure where my brain was the day I ordered it, but I ordered 3 pounds of the stuff - thought about ordering 5#. I was shocked when I opened the box to see just how much Parsley I had! :) I still have an unopened 1# package, gave 1# to a friend and probably have 1/4# left of the other package! Parsley up to ying-yang!

Jan

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's funny Jan. You need to buy another Dobergirl to use all parsley LOL

I prefer raw leaves if it's possible and will use Colleen's recipe.
Considering that parsley is anti-cancer, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, good for healthy immunity and heart and prevents calcium build-up in the tissue I will add it to Gino's food too :)
6 Health Benefits of Parsley

Reactions: Marieldobes

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Parsley, Basil, or whatever..is ok, and maybe good, but I can tell you right now..that NOTHING will stop a false pregnancy if they are prone to have them. (That to me is like taking antibiotics for a cold or the flu..won't hurt, but won't help, and if you wait a week the cold or flu is gone and people attribute it to the antibiotics..)
Some FP's are worse than others, but they all take affect about two months after going out of heat. The progesterone in a bitch keeps rising and will reach a plateau, this to hold the pregnancy if she was pregnant, but if not bred, the body still goes on acting like the bitch was going to have babies.. .A false pregnancy is the dogs (bitch) body is reacting to the lowering of progesterone that it would do if they really had puppies...Their bodies will start acting like that around the time they would be whelping a litter of pups IF they were bred during their estrus.
In the wild the subordinates will actually nurse the alpha bitches pups, while she went out to get food..cause nature gave them milk...through false pregnancies..

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It sounds like always...mother Nature knows better and we can not stop her.

Asha was hiding bones when she was in heat. My hubby was joking: "She is saving bones for the future babies". I noticed she did it again today... not a good sign.

Dobergirls are high maintenance for sure...boys are much easier.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I am off to buy parsley and celery :)
Do you use it raw? Thanks Adara.
Yes, just tossed it into a blender, put it in tupperware and gave it in each meal.

·
Bitch
312 Posts
Oh jeez. What happened in the end, DreamValley? Ashra's definitely going into a false pregnancy and it's become even more noticeable this week - I just weighed her an hour ago because she seemed to be turning into a balloon since the weekend... 0.5kg heavier than her last weigh in on Saturday (so she's now actually 29.8kg) with no change to her diet whatsoever :(, she has even been eating less than usual since then. And the show starts September 7...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Oh jeez. What happened in the end, DreamValley? Ashra's definitely going into a false pregnancy and it's become even more noticeable this week - I just weighed her an hour ago because she seemed to be turning into a balloon since the weekend... 0.5kg heavier than her last weigh in on Saturday (so she's now actually 29.8kg) with no change to her diet whatsoever :(, she has even been eating less than usual since then. And the show starts September 7...
Prolly nothing... I tend to worry... but, if I had a girl who had been in season begin to turn into a balloon and demonstrate a decreased appetite, I would be at the vet's office in about five seconds, preferably a repro guy who could do a look-see with an ultrasound. Pyo scares the crap out of me, and she's got her two symptoms...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts