Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone, my Candy went into heat 2nd week in Nov. She still looks like she is holding milk. And yesterday she took a small stuffed animal into her crate and is treating it like a baby. She has never had babies but she is protecting, bathing, and snuggling with this stuffed animal. I have consulted with a few friends and received alot of different answers. Can anyone else help with this thanks

Thanks from Carol Candys mom

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I haven't had any first hand experience with this, but from some other boards on this subject I've read, if she is being too possesive about the stuffed animal, you might want to take it away from her. This might be encouraging her to have these false pregnancy. Hopefully, someone with better advice will come forth and help.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
OH Yes, my girl Gypsy does that too.. your girl is diffently having a false on.. Take the "baby" away from her, cut down on her food for a couple of days to dry up the milk!
Gypsy has gone so far as to fool the Vet!! I knew she couldn't have been bred but she had all the signs, wanting to eat all the time, weight gain,(even though we had not increased her food) tees getting larger, nesting, well, at day 54 we took her back to the vet again and Xray her.. Opps no puppies! Thank goodness for me but the Vet sure did feel foolish!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Now i have had plenty of this business (three girlies)what everyone said is spot on,cruel to be kind,gotta take away all babies,cut down on food,and also watch she doesn't try to replace food with the other dogs poo! and another bit of cruelty is try not to give too many hugs and kisses(i know this is hard)if she continues holding milk for too long you will have to get medication from the vet to dry up the milk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help it is really hard not to cuddle her. But After having two legged kids I know how to practice tough love.I sure will be glad when we both make it through this. thanks again

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
cschmidt said:
Thanks for all the help it is really hard not to cuddle her. But After having two legged kids I know how to practice tough love.I sure will be glad when we both make it through this. thanks again
I really don't think you need to practice tough love and not cuddle a dog over a false pregnancy! Nothing about the behavior you might see then is a behavioral issue, just instincts that SHOULD be present.

Yes, take the toys away..she'll just worry herself to death over them and prolong the agony.

Parsley (either dried of fresh, fresh being better) will halt milk production-start her on about a couple of tbs. twice a day in her food.

You also can help to minimize false pregnancies in the future by switching a bitch to senior dog food when they come into season and keeping them on it for a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Murreydobe said:
I really don't think you need to practice tough love and not cuddle a dog over a false pregnancy! Nothing about the behavior you might see then is a behavioral issue, just instincts that SHOULD be present.

Yes, take the toys away..she'll just worry herself to death over them and prolong the agony.

Parsley (either dried of fresh, fresh being better) will halt milk production-start her on about a couple of tbs. twice a day in her food.

You also can help to minimize false pregnancies in the future by switching a bitch to senior dog food when they come into season and keeping them on it for a couple of months.
Wow, I did not know that.. Parsley??!! that is good to know. and do you mean regular Senior food or just adult?? I think you mean SENIOR like for older dogs.. and why does this help??
Thanks I like learning something new everyday.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
frznbun I think you mean SENIOR like for older dogs.. and why does this help?? [/QUOTE said:
Yes, Senior dog food like for older dogs. I'm not exactly sure why it's helpful-I'm guessing it's due to lower protein and fat contents. Or maybe because of lower caloric intake.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Codysmom said:
Murrydobe, how do you know all this stuff????????? you are a walking big book of all dober knowledge!

cc
No, not an expert by any means. I've been involved in the dog world in one area or another for about 30 years, deeply involved with dobermans for almost 20 years..you pick up information along the way, and never stop learning.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Just wanted to add that bitches have the same hormone surges after a heat period whether they're bred or not..so all bitches have false pregnancies. Some just have more extreme symptoms than others.

If the bitch has only mild or no noticeable symptoms of a FP, I wouldn't bother doing anything about it. The senior kibble and/or parsley would be things I'd use if the FPs were severe..milk production, weight gain, etc.

However, those hormone surges are VERY hard on a bitch's reproductive health. If the dog isn't being shown or used for breeding, I'd spay them for their own well being.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts